What Is the Coefficient of Kinetic Friction for a Snow Shovel on a Sidewalk?

In summary: ERICAIn summary, the problem involves a boy pushing a light snow shovel at a uniform velocity across a sidewalk. The handle of the shovel is inclined at 55 degrees and the boy is pushing with a force of 100N. The question is asking for the coefficient of kinetic friction. To solve, the force of friction is found to be 57N and the net force is 43N. The equation Fk=(micro)kFn is used to find the coefficient, but it is not 1. To solve for this, assume that the only downward force is the force supplied by the boy and find the horizontal and vertical forces. The equations for these forces can then be written and solved to find the coefficient of kinetic friction.
homevolend

Homework Statement

A boy pushes a light snow shovel at a uniform velo across a sidewalk. If the handle of the shovel is inclined at 55deg to a horizontal and he pushes along the handle with a force of 100N.
What is the coefficient of kinetic friction.

Homework Equations

Ff=?
Ff=Facos(-)

Fk=(micro)KFn

The Attempt at a Solution

I first found the force of friction which is Ff=100cos55
Ff= 57N

So now that I have 55N for Ff I did Fnet found.
Fnet= Fa-Ff
Fnet=43N

Fk=Fn

so Fk=43

So use this formula of

Fk=(micro)kFn

43=(micro)k43

43/43=1

But I know the kinetic friction is not 1 so how do I find the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
homevolend said:

Homework Statement

A boy pushes a light snow shovel at a uniform velo across a sidewalk. If the handle of the shovel is inclined at 55deg to a horizontal and he pushes along the handle with a force of 100N.
What is the coefficient of kinetic friction.
Assume that the only downward force is the force supplied by the boy.

What are the horizontal and vertical forces? Does the shovel accelerate? So what do these vertical and horizontal forces sum to?

Write out the equations for these forces and solve.

AM

Related to What Is the Coefficient of Kinetic Friction for a Snow Shovel on a Sidewalk?

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is a type of force that opposes the motion of an object as it slides or moves over a surface.

2. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction occurs when an object is already in motion, while static friction occurs when an object is at rest and is trying to be moved.

3. What factors affect the amount of kinetic friction?

The amount of kinetic friction is affected by the type of surface, the roughness of the surface, and the force applied to the object.

4. How is kinetic friction measured?

Kinetic friction is measured in units of force, such as newtons or pounds. It can be measured using a spring scale or a force sensor.

5. How can kinetic friction be reduced?

Kinetic friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces in contact. It can also be reduced by using smoother surfaces or by decreasing the force applied to the object.