What is the concentration of acetic acid in the 200 mL volumetric flask?

• Thread starter nautica
  • Start date
So, here we go...In summary, to determine the concentration of acetic acid in the 200 mL volumetric flask, a 10 mL aliquot of the original 100 mL solution was taken and diluted to a 250 mL flask. This was then further diluted to a 200 mL flask, resulting in a 5% acetic acid solution. Using the initial amount of acetic acid present (5 grams in 100 mL), the molarity can be calculated to be 8.3 x 10^-3 mol/L. When this solution is further diluted to 200 mL, the concentration of acetic acid becomes 3.3 x 10^-4 mol/L. This is then used to calculate the concentration of
nautica
Add 200 mL of vinegar and oil dressing to a separatory funnel to separate the oil fromm the aqueous vinegar layer. When this is complete you have 100 mL of vinegar. You then put a 10 mL aliquot of this viegar into a 250 mL volumetric flask and dilute to the mark. Next, you take out a 50 mL aliquot from the 250 mL flask, add it to a 200 mL volumetric flask, and dilute to the mark. Knowing that vinegar is around 5% acetic acid (assuming 100 mL of vinegar has a mass of 100 grams, then there are roughly 5 grams of acetic acid in 100 mL solution), what is the concentration of acetic acid in units of molarity in the 200 mL volumetric flask?

I need some direction in setting up this problem.

Thanks
Nautica

btw - sorry for the long read

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hello, I think a standard analytical chemistry knowledge will help you about this question.

A 10 ml-aliquot diluted 25-fold is further diluted 4-fold. Therefore, a hundredfold concentration decrease should be present here. In the first solution, you state that 5 grams of acetic acid ([itex]CH_3COOH[/itex]; Mw=24+4+32=60 gram/mol) is present, so you can find the initial and final molarity from there.

Is it that simple?

5g/60g * 0.01 L / 100 = 8 x 10^-6 M

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well, if you've done it correctly, then the solution is like that. It doesn't seem to be wrong; a very dilute acetic acid solution is likely in this case.

Yes.

5 g/60 g/mol = 8.3 E-2 mol * 0.1 L = 8.3 E-3 mol/L

There's your c1.
v1 = 0.01 L
v2 = 0.25 L
Then it's just c2 = (c1v1)/v2

c2 = 3.3 E-4 mol/L

And then you take 50 ml's of this...

v1 = 0.05 L
c1 = 3.3 E-4 mol/L
v2 = 0.2 L

c2 = 8.3 E-5 mol/L

Our answers differ by a tenth because of the first step. In 100 g (100 ml) of acetic acid there are 5 grams. So I based my molarity on this. What you had done to get the E-6 is used the 10 ml instead of 100, which I don't think is correct since there are not 5 grams of CH3COOH in 10 ml, but in 100 ml only. So...I don't know. Make what you will of it.

Yes, you are right. A hundredfold concentration decrease is valid for only initial solutions. We take a 10-mL aliquot form the original 100 mL-one, so we should apply V1*0,1 here. The second application needs to be 0,2 afterwards, since 50 mL of solution is taken from 250 mL. Thunderfvck, your approach seems to be okay, let's just check the numbers only.

Related to What is the concentration of acetic acid in the 200 mL volumetric flask?

1. What is the first step in setting up a problem?

The first step in setting up a problem is to clearly define the problem. This includes identifying the variables, constraints, and objectives of the problem.

2. How do I determine the appropriate mathematical model for a problem?

The appropriate mathematical model for a problem can be determined by understanding the relationships between the variables and using mathematical principles to represent those relationships. It is also important to consider the assumptions and limitations of the model.

3. What are the common mistakes to avoid when setting up a problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when setting up a problem include not clearly defining the problem, using an incorrect mathematical model, and not considering all relevant variables and constraints.

4. How do I ensure my problem is solvable?

To ensure a problem is solvable, it is important to check that the mathematical model is appropriate, all necessary variables and constraints have been included, and there are no conflicting objectives. It can also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

5. What are some strategies for setting up a problem efficiently?

Some strategies for setting up a problem efficiently include clearly defining the problem, breaking it down into smaller parts if needed, and considering all relevant variables and constraints. It can also be helpful to use visual aids, such as diagrams or charts, to better understand the problem.