What is the consequence of a very low number of teeth on a gear?

In summary: The speed, torque and MTBF specifications will determine the precision required for the material and manufacturing technique employed. You have not yet specified those parameters.
Factao
TL;DR Summary
I've got two gear, one with 10 teeth and one with 20 gear (despite the fact that I should avoid repetitive pair of teeth contact). Is there is any issue with using gear with that little amount of teeth?
As summarized, I've got these two gear, and another stage of 15:10. I need my gear box as small as possible, and I've never work on this scale with gear (the module is 0,9mm, so this is pretty small). I know that this question is very simple, but I did not find anything relevant on the web, so don't mind sending me on another topic or whatever that is related.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends. If a gear has too few teeth, the teeth are undercut, which weakens them. Lightly loaded gears can tolerate undercut. If you are using gears from a catalog, the catalog load ratings take any undercut into account.

I once designed a gear with six teeth and no undercut by using profile offset. It worked very well.

There is no precision issue?

Factao said:
There is no precision issue?
The speed, torque and MTBF specifications will determine the precision required for the material and manufacturing technique employed. You have not yet specified those parameters.

Baluncore said:
The speed, torque and MTBF specifications will determine the precision required for the material and manufacturing technique employed. You have not yet specified those parameters.
I am 3D printing (FDM) my gears with PLA, so I am expecting a low torque, a low speed and a MTBF as considerable as the error margin. However, I could reformulate my question: If we consider the same manufacturing processus, material and similar usage condition, will a pair of undercuts gears be precise as a pair of more conventional gears?

Factao said:
I am 3D printing (FDM) my gears with PLA, so I am expecting a low torque, a low speed and a MTBF as considerable as the error margin. However, I could reformulate my question: If we consider the same manufacturing processus, material and similar usage condition, will a pair of undercuts gears be precise as a pair of more conventional gears?

I want to gear up the torque of a servo motor ,without reducing its precision, while saving space with smaller gear, despite the FDM precision default for small detail.

without reducing its precision = anti-backlash gears, precision (instrument) bearings, precision machining

while saving space with smaller gear = planetary gear train

Alternative-1: rewind the motor with larger wire to allow higher continuous current without overheating.
Drawbacks to Alternative-1:
  • This works only until you reach magnetic saturation in the motor
  • Must reduce motor Voltage to maintain same speed
Alternative-2: If duty cycle is low,
And needed torque increase is low,
And speed is Not critical,
Then Increase motor voltage

Alternative-3: Purchase a servo with the gear-train included as a pre-assembled unit.

Small, Strong, Precise, Cheap. Pick 2 (or maybe 3 if you're a magician)

Tom.G said:
Small, Strong, Precise, Cheap. Pick 2 (or maybe 3 if you're a magician)
http://emanual.robotis.com/docs/en/dxl/x/xl430-w250/#specificationsThis little beast is quite balanced for its price.

As for the gears, I understand, from your reply that undercut gear doesn't affect the precision more than normal one, unless I miss something.

Factao said:
This little beast is quite balanced for its price.
Wow, sure is. I was going to suggest you try for the next larger torque rating but I see the price goes way up.
Factao said:
As for the gears, I understand, from your reply that undercut gear doesn't affect the precision more than normal one, unless I miss something.
I'll defer to @jrmichler on that. He's a local expert in that part of the field and I am definitely not!

Cheers,
Tom

Well, thank you for this, I will massage him.

Undercut affects tooth strength. Precision affects running smoothness, noise, and fatigue life at high speeds. They are two different things. Here is an image showing an undercut gear meshing with a rack:
Untitled.jpg

Undercut can be eliminated by redesigning the gear with profile offset, but that increases the sliding action when the gears mesh. Search undercut gears for more information.

3D printed plastic gears will not be precise. If your application is low load and low speed, then design for the fewest number of teeth and use profile offset to reduce/eliminate undercut. If you are designing with SolidWorks, there is a module available for designing gears that makes it easy to specify variables such as profile offset. It's Gearcalc or Geartrax or something like that. The high end gear design package is Kisssoft, but I don't know if it integrates with solid modelling packages.

Factao said:
Well, thank you for this, I will massage him.
Massage no, message yes. :smile:

Likes davenn
Thank you for this.

I kind of forget how to set this tread as resolved... How do I do that?

One issue with a small number of teeth on a gear is the number of teeth engaged at anyone time is reduced, but this would be taken into account for the specified torque rating.

1. What is the purpose of teeth on a gear?

The teeth on a gear are used to transfer rotational motion and torque from one gear to another. They also help to control the speed and direction of the rotation.

2. How does a low number of teeth affect the performance of a gear?

A low number of teeth on a gear can result in a decrease in the gear's ability to transfer motion and torque effectively. This can also lead to a decrease in the gear's overall durability and lifespan.

3. Can a gear with a low number of teeth still function properly?

Yes, a gear with a low number of teeth can still function properly, but its performance may be limited. It may also be more susceptible to wear and damage due to the increased stress on each individual tooth.

4. What are the consequences of using a gear with a very low number of teeth?

Using a gear with a very low number of teeth can result in decreased efficiency, increased wear and tear, and potential failure of the gear. It may also affect the overall performance of the machinery or system it is a part of.

5. How can the consequences of a low number of teeth on a gear be mitigated?

The consequences of a low number of teeth on a gear can be mitigated by using a gear with a higher number of teeth, using stronger and more durable materials, and properly maintaining and lubricating the gear to reduce wear and tear. Additionally, using multiple gears in a system can distribute the load and decrease the stress on each individual gear.