What is the convergence of a power series using the ratio test?

In summary, The student is struggling with applying the ratio test to a power series problem. They have attempted the problem and reached a point of uncertainty, specifically with the term n/(n+1), |x+2|/2, and (-1)^n. They are seeking assistance in completing the problem and reaching the answer of 2. They have identified that the sum is alternating due to the pattern of (-1)^n.
rcmango

Homework Statement

I've tried to apply the ratio test to a problem that is a power series. here's the problem as a pic: http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2751/35685690oj3.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've gotten so far as you can see in the pic, I've skipped all my work, but if someone can go through the problem, you'll see where I'm stuck, I'm not sure what to do with the n/(n+1) ...just use nth term test.. to get 1?

then also, |x+2|/2 ... I'm unsure if it just stays that way?

and the big problem is my (-1)^n i can't divide that through the numerator because of the n right?

there is my effort, now please just help me to achieve the end, i don't have much time.

i know the answer is 2, (4, 0]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \frac{n}{n+1}*\frac{2^n}{2^{n+1}}*\frac{(x+2)^{n+1}}{(x+2)^n} [/tex]

I get this if I just skip the (-1)^n part cos you just know it is 1, -1, 1, -1 for different values of n which tells you that the sum is alternating.

What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑n=0∞ cn(x-a)n, where cn are constants and a is the center of the series. It is a type of mathematical function that can represent a wide range of functions by varying the values of cn and x.

How is the ratio test used in power series?

The ratio test is a method for determining the convergence or divergence of a power series. It involves taking the limit as n approaches infinity of the absolute value of the ratio of the (n+1)th term to the nth term. If this limit is less than 1, the series converges. If it is greater than 1, the series diverges. If it is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another method must be used.

What is the radius of convergence of a power series?

The radius of convergence of a power series is the distance from the center of the series at which the series converges. It can be determined using the ratio test and is always a positive real number or infinity. If the ratio test gives a limit of 1, the radius of convergence is the distance to the nearest singularity of the function represented by the series.

Can a power series be used to approximate any function?

Yes, a power series can be used to approximate any function. The accuracy of the approximation depends on the number of terms used in the series and the distance from the center of the series to the point at which the function is being evaluated.

What is the difference between a power series and a Taylor series?

A power series is a type of mathematical function, while a Taylor series is a method for representing a function as a power series. A Taylor series is a specific type of power series that is centered at x=0 and is used to approximate a function around that point.