What Is the Correct Numerator for Summation with Variable X Sub k?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an inequality with X sub k in the numerator and a summation of X sub ks from 1 to n in the denominator. The speaker is unsure of what value to use for X sub k in the numerator, as it cannot be the same as the k in the denominator. They also mention the possibility of another summation being needed for k to exist in the numerator.
barksdalemc
I have a problem with an inequality. In the numberator of one term I have X sub k, and in the denominator I have the sum X sub ks from 1 to n. So let's say I use n=2 and have two terms in the denominator Xsub1 and Xsub2. What am I using for the X sub k in the numerator. It definitely is not X sub n.

Physics news on Phys.org
The k in the numerator does and can not have anything to do with the k in the denominator, unless I'm missing something.

The same that I am missing I think. There has to be another summation for that k to exist in the numerator right?

barksdalemc said:
The same that I am missing I think. There has to be another summation for that k to exist in the numerator right?

Could you present the problem perhaps..?

Related to What Is the Correct Numerator for Summation with Variable X Sub k?

1. What is an index of summation question?

An index of summation question is a mathematical notation used to represent the sum of a series of terms. It is represented by the symbol "∑" followed by the starting value of the index, the ending value of the index, and the expression being summed. For example, ∑(i = 1 to 5) i² represents the sum of the squares of the numbers 1 to 5.

2. How do I solve an index of summation question?

To solve an index of summation question, you must first identify the starting and ending values of the index. Then, substitute each value of the index into the expression being summed and add them all together. For example, to solve ∑(i = 1 to 5) i², you would substitute 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 into the expression i² and add the results together.

3. What are some common properties of index of summation questions?

Some common properties of index of summation questions include the ability to manipulate the starting and ending values of the index, the ability to combine multiple indices, and the ability to factor out constants. These properties can help simplify and solve more complex summation questions.

4. How can index of summation questions be used in real life?

Index of summation questions are used in a variety of fields, including mathematics, physics, and finance. They can be used to calculate the total value of a series of data, such as stock prices, or to solve problems involving sequences and patterns.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving index of summation questions?

One common mistake to avoid when solving index of summation questions is to forget to include the starting and ending values of the index in the calculation. It is also important to properly distribute any constants and to carefully substitute in values for the index. It is always a good idea to double check your work and make sure all steps are clearly shown.