What is the de Broglie wavelength of a falling neutron in a vacuum?

In summary, the de Broglie wavelength of a neutron that has fallen 0.60m in a vacuum chamber, starting from rest, is approximately 5.87*10^-8 meters. This can be calculated by using the equation λ=h/mv, where m is the mass of a neutron (1.67*10^-27kg), h is Planck's constant (6.67*10^-34), and v is the velocity of the neutron, which can be calculated using the formula v^2=2ax with a being the acceleration due to gravity. It is important to specify the units of distance when solving quantitative problems.
DRC12

Homework Statement

What is the de Broglie wavelength of a neutron that has fallen 0.60 in a vacuum chamber, starting from rest?

Homework Equations

Not entirely sure
λ=h/mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out what the velocity is, I think it would have to do with the change in kinetic energy but I can't figure out what that would be

Physics news on Phys.org
DRC12 said:

Homework Statement

What is the de Broglie wavelength of a neutron that has fallen 0.60 in a vacuum chamber, starting from rest?

Homework Equations

Not entirely sure
λ=h/mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out what the velocity is, I think it would have to do with the change in kinetic energy but I can't figure out what that would be
Is the distance 0.6 m, cm, mm? Units, as well as magnitude, are rather important to a physics or engineering, or other quantitative problem.

If the neutron is in freefall - what is the acceleration? Knowing the acceleration and distance, one can determine the velocity at that distance.

The other way to look at it, instead of calculating accelerations and integrating back to get velocity, is to look at the Energy. The change in energy is just mg*(change in height) and this goes into the kinetic energy i.e. 1/2 mv^2.

Astronuc said:
Is the distance 0.6 m, cm, mm?
meters

I tried finding the velocity using v2=2ax
and found v to be 3.43m/s
then I plugged that into λ=h/mv
where m=1.67*10-27kg and h=6.67*10-34
and found λ=5.87*10-8

wait for some reason I was using h=3.36E-34 instead of 6.67E-34 I don't even know where that number came from

Related to What is the de Broglie wavelength of a falling neutron in a vacuum?

1. What is velocity neutron in vacuum?

Velocity neutron in vacuum refers to the speed at which a neutron travels in a vacuum environment. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s).

2. Why is velocity neutron in vacuum important?

Velocity neutron in vacuum is important in nuclear physics and engineering as it helps determine the behavior and interactions of neutrons with other particles and materials.

3. How is velocity neutron in vacuum measured?

Velocity neutron in vacuum is typically measured using instruments such as neutron detectors or time-of-flight techniques. In these methods, the time taken for a neutron to travel a known distance is measured and used to calculate its velocity.

4. What factors affect velocity neutron in vacuum?

The velocity of a neutron in vacuum can be affected by its energy, mass, and interactions with other particles or materials in its path. It can also be influenced by external factors such as temperature and pressure.

5. Can velocity neutron in vacuum be altered?

Yes, the velocity of a neutron in vacuum can be altered by changing its energy or by using materials such as moderators to slow down or absorb the neutrons. This is often done in nuclear reactors to control the speed and behavior of neutrons for various purposes.