1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the difference between a parameter and a variable?

1. Jul 30, 2010 #1
    It seems (to me) that parameters are also kind of variables in descriptions of physics. I am confused what makes a paramater different from a variable. Can anybody please explain this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2010 #2
    Hi there,

From my point of view, here are a few parameters: g=9.8m/s2, c= 300'000km/s.

Variables are the values that you are trying to find in any model. The model bases itself on different fixed values, or parameters.

Cheers

4. Jul 30, 2010 #3
    From a mathematical point of view, a parameter is a variable that is meant to stay fixed in a certain application. For example, in middle or high school you studied the three-parameter family of functions

f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c.

While the three numbers a, b, c are variables, you want to think of them as fixed and let only x vary. To distinguish the roles of a,b,c on the one side and x on the other, we refer to a,b,c as parameters.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook