What Is the Difference Between Color Neutral and Colorless in Quantum Physics?

In summary, according to hyperphysics, there are two main states of colors in hadrons or mesons. The colorless state means that the particle has color, and the anticolor state means that the particles have the same color.
humsafar
Basics on Quantum Physics...

I have Two basic Questions which I need an easy, simple answer...

First is...What is Spin of a particle? any simple way to define it?

Physics news on Phys.org

There's no simple way to define it. The complete answer can be found in the theory of representations of groups.

You should probably tell us what you have studied already. Have you studied any quantum mechanics yet? Linear algebra?

Spin is a fundamental degree of freedom in a particle. You can ask where a particle is moving. You can ask what its momentum is. You can ask its spin along an axis.

Experimentally, spin is related to magnetism. If you shoot a beam of electrons through a non-uniform magnetic field, you'll see that the beam splits into exactly two beams.

Classically, it was reasoned that this phenomenon is due to electrons rotating about their own axis. Thus, it's called "spin".

Spin is also the same phenomenon that causes polarization in light.

Spin is a quantum property, so it's kinda funny. A fun little experiment (and the one I remember most vividly from high school physics) is this:

Take two photographic filters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_filter).

Hold the first up to your eye. Put the second one in back of it and slowly rotate it.

The amount of light that goes through depends on the rotation. If the filters are aligned properly, 50% of the light goes through. If you rotate it 90º, suddenly, the filters block 100% of the light. Rotate it another 90º, and you're back to 50%.

Here's the weird part. Rotate them so that all the light is blocked. Now take a third filter at a 45º angle to the others. Put it in between. What happens?

(Well, if you filter out ALL the light, then filter out some MORE, you've stilled filtered out ALL the light... right?)

The amazing thing is that by adding that third filter, suddenly, light gets through again!

Try the search function too, there have been quite a few threads on "What is spin?" and similar.

Ok i got my answer...

My second question is that i read some notes on QCD from the website of hyperphysics, they say there are two main states of colors in hadrons or mesons (color neutral and colorless), colorless means color and anticolor being on same particle (let's say pion0), how does it differ from color neutral? Please give detailed and simple worded answer like Post#3 if possible...

Related to What Is the Difference Between Color Neutral and Colorless in Quantum Physics?

What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles at the subatomic level. It explains how particles such as atoms and subatomic particles behave and interact with each other.

What are the basic principles of quantum physics?

The basic principles of quantum physics include wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, superposition, and entanglement. Wave-particle duality states that particles can exist as both waves and particles. The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle at the same time. Superposition refers to the ability of particles to exist in multiple states at the same time. Entanglement is a phenomenon where two particles become connected and can affect each other's behavior even at a distance.

How does quantum physics differ from classical physics?

Quantum physics differs from classical physics in that it describes the behavior of particles at the subatomic level, while classical physics explains the behavior of larger objects. It also relies on the principles of uncertainty and superposition, which are not present in classical physics.

What real-world applications does quantum physics have?

Quantum physics has many real-world applications, including the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and developing quantum computing and cryptography.

What are some common misconceptions about quantum physics?

Some common misconceptions about quantum physics include the belief that it can explain consciousness or supernatural phenomena, or that it supports the idea of parallel universes. These ideas are not supported by scientific evidence and are often misinterpretations of the principles of quantum physics.