What is the difference between these two courses? ODE vs EDE?

In summary, these courses are both intended for students with a background in mathematics and physics. They cover similar topics, but EDE is more condensed and focused on an elementary level while ODE covers more applied topics.
flyingpig
What is the difference between these two courses? ODE vs EDE?

Hopefully this is the right place to ask.

Does anyone know the difference between these two courses? And which one I should take?

I'll be taking Linear Algebra (2nd semester of LA) with either one.

I haven't decided which one to take yet because these courses look the same...

Elementary Differential Equations I said:
First-order equations; linear equations; linear systems; Laplace transforms; numerical methods; trajectory analysis of plane nonlinear systems. Applications of these topics will be emphasized.

Elementary Differential Equations II said:
Power series methods (ordinary and regular singular points, Bessel's equation); boundary value problems and separation of variables (Fourier series and other orthogonal series), applications to the vibrating string, heat flow, potentials.
Ordinary Differential Equations said:
Review of linear systems; nonlinear equations and applications; phase plane analysis; Laplace transforms; numerical methods

Linear ordinary differential equations said:
. Complex numbers, Laplace transforms, frequency reponse, resonance, step response, systems.

The thing is, other than Elementary Differential Equations II, all of the other courses have a "2xx" in them. For Elementary Differential Equations II, it says any of the three courses will serve as a prereq.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

It looks to me like EDE covers some topics in analysis, followed by ODE's and simple PDE's. This will be a condensed introduction at (I'm guessing from the title) an elementary level.

ODE would be a course just on that topic; you would presumably follow it by a course on PDE's.

All the descriptions you posted sound very applied, I'm guessing these are in the EE rather than math department.

Isn't there anyone at your university, like an academic advisor, that you can ask about this?

jtbell said:
Isn't there anyone at your university, like an academic advisor, that you can ask about this?

Such a person probably exists, but I can only contact electronically and I probably have find his or her e-mail first.

Well, then you should probably put in the effort to find his email. He's the person who knows the answer to your question at your university.

Vanadium 50 said:
Well, then you should probably put in the effort to find his email. He's the person who knows the answer to your question at your university.

But I don't even know where to start, I googled it (bad idea...) and I got a bunch of "associate director", "assistant secretary" and a bunch of other office names...

But just reading off the "syllabus" are they all the same?

How the heck do you manage to go to college and not know who your academic advisor is and how to reach him or her? I've never heard of such a thing.

Take a look at every piece of paper (or the electronic equivalent) your school gave you. It's there somewhere.

Doesn't the department have a secretary or reception or something like that? When I wanted to see the academic advisor I went to the department secretary and she told me how to get hold of them.

Vanadium 50 said:
How the heck do you manage to go to college and not know who your academic advisor is and how to reach him or her? I've never heard of such a thing.

You be surprised =)...

Take a look at every piece of paper (or the electronic equivalent) your school gave you. It's there somewhere.

Actually that's good start, thanks. I will find it electronically because the physical copy is no longer in this world.

qspeechc said:
Doesn't the department have a secretary or reception or something like that? When I wanted to see the academic advisor I went to the department secretary and she told me how to get hold of them.

Yeah, mine has one too, but for some reason it is almost never open and it is so "empty". But thanks

Similar-sounding courses like those are probably intended for different majors (e.g. physics/engineering majors versus math majors), or for students with different backgrounds or levels of previous expertise. Are the pre-requisites different?

jtbell said:
Similar-sounding courses like those are probably intended for different majors (e.g. physics/engineering majors versus math majors), or for students with different backgrounds or levels of previous expertise. Are the pre-requisites different?

The prereqs are all the same, the co-reqs are different

Except this new one that slipped my eye

Partial Differential Equations said:
Introduction to partial differential equations; Fourier series; the heat, wave and potential equations; boundary-value problems; numerical methods

It's also a second year course for some reason...

They told me that they "think" Elementary Differential Equations I is the right one, I send them a email asking what the others were, still waiting on response.

1. What is the main difference between ODE and EDE courses?

The main difference between ODE (Ordinary Differential Equations) and EDE (Elementary Differential Equations) courses is the level of complexity. ODE is typically a more advanced course that covers higher-level concepts and techniques, while EDE is a more introductory course that focuses on the basics of differential equations.

2. Are the topics covered in ODE and EDE similar?

Yes, the topics covered in ODE and EDE are very similar. Both courses cover the basic concepts and techniques of solving differential equations, such as separable equations, linear equations, and exact equations. However, ODE may also cover more advanced topics such as systems of differential equations, power series solutions, and Laplace transforms.

3. Which course should I take if I am new to differential equations?

If you are new to differential equations, it is recommended to take EDE first. This course will provide you with a solid foundation of the basic concepts and techniques, making it easier to understand and excel in ODE later on.

4. Is one course more mathematically rigorous than the other?

Generally, ODE is considered to be more mathematically rigorous than EDE. This is because ODE covers more advanced topics and requires a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques. However, both courses are important and valuable in their own ways.

5. Can I take both ODE and EDE courses?

Yes, you can take both ODE and EDE courses. In fact, it is common for students to take EDE first and then move on to ODE. Taking both courses can provide a more comprehensive understanding of differential equations and can also be beneficial for those pursuing a career in mathematics or science.