1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What is the difference between types of expansions?

1. Mar 2, 2016 #1
    Can someone differentiate between differet types of expansion,
    1. Joule's expansion (free expansion)
    2. Adiabatic expansion
    3. Joule - Thomson or Joule - Kelvin expansion

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think that 1 and 3 are both specific types of 2, as both are defined to be adiabatic - which just means thermally isolated.
    Type 1 is when a thermally-isolated container is divided into two parts separated by an openable divider, with one part containing gas and the other a vacuum, and the divider is then opened, to allow the gas to expand into the vacuum part.
    Type 3 is a more complicated process (explained here) where a gas is forced through a valve or porous plug, and the system where this happens is thermally isolated.
    Both 1 and 3 are irreversible processes.

An example of an adiabatic expansion that is neither type 1 or 2 would be where the gas in a cylinder expands by pushing back a piston, while remaining thermally isolated. I think (but am not sure) that that would be a reversible process.

4. Mar 3, 2016 #3
    An adiabatic expansion involving a piston and cylinder is not necessarily reversible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted