What is the Direction of Friction Force for a Slowing Car?

• Thread starter alaa amed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Fbd
In summary, the conversation discusses drawing a free body diagram for a car that is coasting to the right and slowing down, neglecting air resistance. There is a question about the direction of the force of friction in this scenario, and the hint given is to consider a wheel subject to braking and determine which way it is trying to slide relative to the road. This will help determine the direction of the friction force.
alaa amed

Homework Statement

A car is coasting to the right and slowing down. Neglect air resistance
Draw free body diagram.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the normal and the force of gravity equal and opposite of each other in the vertical direction. However, I am little confused about the direction of the force of friction. I know that the velocity vector should be pointing to the right and the acceleration vector should be pointing to the left since the car is slowing down, but what does that mean for the force of friction?

Thanks, [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
alaa amed said:

Homework Statement

A car is coasting to the right and slowing down. Neglect air resistance
Draw free body diagram.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the normal and the force of gravity equal and opposite of each other in the vertical direction. However, I am little confused about the direction of the force of friction. I know that the velocity vector should be pointing to the right and the acceleration vector should be pointing to the left since the car is slowing down, but what does that mean for the force of friction?

Thanks, [/B]
Hint: ## \vec{F_{net}} = m \vec{a} ##

Likes haruspex
Perhaps consider a wheel subject to braking. Which way is the wheel trying to slide relative to the road. What does that tell you about the direction of the friction force?

CWatters said:
Perhaps consider a wheel subject to braking. Which way is the wheel trying to slide relative to the road. What does that tell you about the direction of the friction force?
While that works, I recommend nrqed's hint since that does not depend on the ultimate cause of the slowing. It encompasses axle friction and rolling resistance.

1. What is FBD (Free Body Diagram) for car slowing down?

FBD is a diagram that shows all the forces acting on an object, in this case, a car, when it is slowing down. It helps to analyze the motion of the car and understand the forces involved.

2. What are the forces involved in a FBD for a car slowing down?

The main forces involved in a FBD for a car slowing down are the frictional force, air resistance, and the force of the brakes. Other forces such as the weight of the car and the normal force may also be present.

3. How does air resistance affect a car's slowing down motion in a FBD?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that acts in the opposite direction of the car's motion. It increases as the car's speed increases and can significantly affect the car's slowing down motion, requiring more force from the brakes.

4. What is the role of friction in a FBD for a car slowing down?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. In a FBD for a car slowing down, friction comes into play between the car's tires and the road. It helps to slow down the car by providing a force in the opposite direction of the car's motion.

5. How can understanding FBD for a car slowing down be useful in real-life situations?

Understanding FBD for a car slowing down can be useful for designing and improving car brakes, predicting the stopping distance of a car, and ensuring safe driving. It also helps in understanding the physics behind a car's motion and the forces involved.