What is the Direction of Friction Force for a Slowing Car?

  • Thread starter Thread starter alaa amed
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Car Fbd
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
alaa amed
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A car is coasting to the right and slowing down. Neglect air resistance
Draw free body diagram.

Homework Equations


N/A

The Attempt at a Solution



I drew the normal and the force of gravity equal and opposite of each other in the vertical direction. However, I am little confused about the direction of the force of friction. I know that the velocity vector should be pointing to the right and the acceleration vector should be pointing to the left since the car is slowing down, but what does that mean for the force of friction?

Thanks, [/B]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
alaa amed said:

Homework Statement



A car is coasting to the right and slowing down. Neglect air resistance
Draw free body diagram.

Homework Equations


N/A

The Attempt at a Solution



I drew the normal and the force of gravity equal and opposite of each other in the vertical direction. However, I am little confused about the direction of the force of friction. I know that the velocity vector should be pointing to the right and the acceleration vector should be pointing to the left since the car is slowing down, but what does that mean for the force of friction?

Thanks, [/B]
Hint: ## \vec{F_{net}} = m \vec{a} ##
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: haruspex
Perhaps consider a wheel subject to braking. Which way is the wheel trying to slide relative to the road. What does that tell you about the direction of the friction force?
 
CWatters said:
Perhaps consider a wheel subject to braking. Which way is the wheel trying to slide relative to the road. What does that tell you about the direction of the friction force?
While that works, I recommend nrqed's hint since that does not depend on the ultimate cause of the slowing. It encompasses axle friction and rolling resistance.
.