What is the direction of the red ball's angular momentum

In summary: The ball is not rotating. The ball is not rolling. It's as if the ball is... gliding? In summary, the direction of the red ball's angular momentum about point A is out of the page, as it is defined by the right hand rule and the fact that the ball is moving horizontally and not rotating.
Westin

Homework Statement

What is the direction of the red ball's angular momentum about the point A?
(see figure)

Same as the momentum.
Out of the page.
Zero magnitude.
Opposite to the momentum.
Same as rA.
Into the page. [/B]

Homework Equations

Angular Momentum[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the answer is same as the momentum because the angular momentum is 'the moment of momentum'

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-12 at 2.25.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-12 at 2.25.48 PM.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 893
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the ball rolling up the plane or down the plane? If this is during an instant where the ball is stopped, then it has zero momentum.

rcgldr said:
Is the ball rolling up the plane or down the plane? If this is during an instant where the ball is stopped, then it has zero momentum.

Unfortunately that info is not given, but if we assumed it was down wouldn't the answer just be same as momentum?

How do you determine angular momentum of a point-mass?

Westin said:

Homework Statement

What is the direction of the red ball's angular momentum about the point A?
(see figure)

Same as the momentum.
Out of the page.
Zero magnitude.
Opposite to the momentum.
Same as rA.
Into the page. [/B]

Homework Equations

Angular Momentum[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the answer is same as the momentum because the angular momentum is 'the moment of momentum'
The figure helps tremendously.

screen-shot-2015-04-12-at-2-25-48-pm-png.81898.png

It looks to me like the ball is at the position of the red dot and is moving horizontally.

How do one calculate angular momentum ?

L = r x p
L = same as momentum then ?

Last edited:
r x p and p are not the same, and do not point in the same direction.
What do you know about the cross-product?

mfb said:
r x p and p are not the same, and do not point in the same direction.
What do you know about the cross-product?

Cross product is r⃗A × F⃗

This helps you find torque

mfb said:
And what is your result?

Opposite to the momentum?

Westin said:
Opposite to the momentum?
If you have two vectors and take their cross product, ##\vec c = \vec a \times \vec b##, what is the angle between ##\vec a## and ##\vec c##? It is always the same answer.

mfb said:
And what is your result?
haruspex said:
If you have two vectors and take their cross product, ##\vec c = \vec a \times \vec b##, what is the angle between ##\vec a## and ##\vec c##? It is always the same answer.
it is 180 degrees, I'm still a little lost of what the answer could be though..

It is not 180 degrees. Check the definition and basic properties of the cross-product.

Do you know the Right Hand Rule for cross-product ?

SammyS said:
Do you know the Right Hand Rule for cross-product ?
haruspex said:

Vector C will be perpendicular to both A & B. The angle will be between 0 and 180 degrees

• A x B = A B sin([PLAIN]https://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/tutorials/torque/theta.gif)

not familiar with right hand rule but I'm trying to learn it right now

Last edited by a moderator:
Westin said:
Vector C will be perpendicular to both A & B.
Right.
The angle will be between 0 and 180 degrees
You can know the exact angle between a and c. This is not the angle between a and b!

Westin said:
Vector C will be perpendicular to both A & B. The angle will be between 0 and 180 degrees

not familiar with right hand rule but I'm trying to learn it right now
mfb said:
Right.
You can know the exact angle between a and c. This is not the angle between a and b!

It would be going out of the page then??!?

because it will be pointing upwards

Last edited:
Westin said:
It would be going out of the page then??!?
Right.

If the ball is rolling down hill (left to right), then the angular momentum vector points into the page (right hand rule).

So who is right here? I only have one try

rcgldr said:
If the ball is rolling down hill (left to right), then the angular momentum vector points into the page (right hand rule).
@ rcgldr,
Look at the figure.

There is no downhill. The momentum of the ball is to the right, so the ball is moving to the right (horizontally). The ball is at a position below and to the right of point A.

There is no indication that the ball itself is rotating at all.

Westin said:
So who is right here? I only have one try
That all depends upon who is interpreting the problem as it was intended.

Looking at the figure it appears that you may have previously tried the "Into the page " answer.

The answer was out of the page, thanks everyone.

rcgldr said:
I see nothing in the statement about the ball's rotating, nor any indication of a vertical direction. It is shown as moving directly left to right, not at an angle to the page edge, so I don't think it can be intended as 'rolling downhill'.

haruspex said:
I see nothing in the statement about the ball's rotating, nor any indication of a vertical direction. It is shown as moving directly left to right, not at an angle to the page edge, so I don't think it can be intended as 'rolling downhill'.
So is this a 3d image mapped into a 2d image and the vector labeled as "rA" is either pointed out from the page or into the page? The momentum vector is to the right, so maybe we assume the ball is rolling clockwise (rolling to the right), in which case the angular momentum vector should be into the page (right hand rule).

Last edited:
rcgldr said:
So is this a 3d image mapped into a 2d image and the vector labeled as "rA" is either pointed out from the page or into the page? The momentum vector is to the right, so maybe we assume the ball is rolling clockwise (rolling to the right), in which case the angular momentum vector should be into the page (right hand rule).
The ball is not rotating. The ball is not rolling. It's as if the ball is a point mass.

All motion is in the plane of the page, and the ball is at the location of the red dot. The big gray circular thing must just be some other object.

SammyS said:
All motion is in the plane of the page, and the ball is at the location of the red dot.
So effectively, A is the center of rotation, rA is the current position of the center of mass of the ball, and p/mass = velocity, so the rotation is counter-clockwise, and the direction of the angular momentum vector is out of the page.

rcgldr said:
So effectively, A is the center of rotation, rA is the current position of the center of mass of the ball, and p/mass = velocity, so the rotation is counter-clockwise, and the direction of the angular momentum vector is out of the page.
Right.

1. What is the definition of angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object, calculated as the product of its moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum related to the direction of rotation?

The direction of angular momentum is perpendicular to the plane of rotation and follows the right-hand rule, where the direction of the thumb points towards the axis of rotation and the direction of the curled fingers indicates the direction of angular momentum.

3. What is the direction of the red ball's angular momentum if it is spinning clockwise?

If the red ball is spinning clockwise, its angular momentum will be in the opposite direction, which is counterclockwise.

4. How does the shape of an object affect its angular momentum?

The moment of inertia, which is a factor in calculating angular momentum, is influenced by the distribution of mass and the shape of an object. Objects with a larger moment of inertia will have a greater angular momentum for the same angular velocity.

5. Can the direction of an object's angular momentum change?

Yes, the direction of an object's angular momentum can change if there is a change in its moment of inertia or angular velocity. This can occur due to external forces, such as torque, acting on the object.