What is the effect of efficiency on the cost of electricity?

In summary, the effect of efficiency on the cost of electricity for a PV system is dependent on various factors such as investment and maintenance costs, useful lifetime, and discount rate. Generally, as the efficiency of a PV system increases, the cost of electricity decreases. However, this may not always be the case as there is an ideal point where an increase in efficiency becomes too expensive. Additionally, the size and location of the panels can also impact the overall cost and efficiency. It is important to consider all these factors when making decisions about purchasing and upgrading PV systems.
says
I'm having trouble understanding the effect of efficiency on the cost of electricity for a PV system.

By the graph I've uploaded, as the efficiency of a PV system goes up, the cost of electricity goes up. But the equation in the other photo has efficiency in the denominator of the equation, meaning that when efficiency increases, the cost of electricity decreases, assuming investment and maintenance costs stay the same.

I'm intuitively thinking that as efficiency increases electricity prices also increase. Is my problem that I'm assuming investment and maintenance costs stay the same? I would assume that a more efficient system costs more to make as it uses more materials and more labor.

COE.png
COE2.png
COE.png
COE2.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
says said:
By the graph I've uploaded, as the efficiency of a PV system goes up, the cost of electricity goes up.
Which graph? In general that statement is not true.
says said:
I'm intuitively thinking that as efficiency increases electricity prices also increase.
If you can produce more power for (nearly) the same price, cost per kWh goes down. At some point an increase in efficiency gets too expensive, so there is some ideal point, marked with a red dot in the total cost/efficiency plot.

They are trying to tell you that high efficiency systems cost more. Usually more money buys more quality, but it has nothing to do with physics.

I try to remember that solar panels are improving rapidly doubling in performance price ratio every three years of so. I plan to buy new panels in 2016 and to discard them as obsolete in 2019. Others may spend more today and plan to keep them for 20 years. Without a perfect crystal ball foreseeing the future, nobody can say with certainty which plan is better.

Your cost per kwh depends on your assumption about the useful lifetime, and on the discount rate on money in your mind.

In the 1970s AT&T was still building phones designed to last for 45 years. At the time, most people thought that was optimum.

anorlunda said:
I plan to buy new panels in 2016 and to discard them as obsolete in 2019.
Do you really expect to get the cost of 2016 panels back in 3 years? Otherwise just wait. Installation costs are relevant as well.

Likes CalcNerd
mfb said:
Do you really expect to get the cost of 2016 panels back in 3 years? Otherwise just wait. Installation costs are relevant as well.

It is not just cost. I am a sailor. I live on a boat. Where to put those darn things is a problem. This year I will replace three panels with one having slightly more watts. In three years, I want to replace that one with a smaller one.

The size of the panels is inconvenient and a hazzard to seaworthines of the vessel. Hurricane force winds or breaking waves can rip it loose and turn it into a projectile.

When I get down to 240 watts in 4 ##ft^2##, I'll stop upgrading.

Ah, on a boat replacing them makes more sense.

240 W in 0.37 m2 is ... optimistic. Even if they are exactly aligned with the sun (and I guess they are not) that still needs an efficiency above 50%, something that has been demonstrated in a lab but not in realistic conditions.

anorlunda said:
When I get down to 240 watts in 4 ft2 , I'll stop upgrading.
64% efficient ? I'd settle for that !

Likes dlgoff
I doubt the efficiency of a PV panel will improve much in three years. There is probably a greater difference between types/makes of panel available today.

Related to What is the effect of efficiency on the cost of electricity?

What is the effect of efficiency on the cost of electricity?

The effect of efficiency on the cost of electricity is significant. Efficiency refers to the amount of energy that is converted into usable electricity. When efficiency increases, the cost of electricity decreases.

Why does efficiency affect the cost of electricity?

Efficiency affects the cost of electricity because it determines how much energy is wasted during the conversion process. The higher the efficiency, the less energy is wasted, resulting in lower production costs and ultimately lower electricity costs.

How does efficiency impact renewable energy sources?

Efficiency plays a crucial role in renewable energy sources. The more efficient the conversion process, the more cost-effective renewable energy sources become. This is because renewable energy sources are dependent on natural resources, so increasing efficiency helps to maximize their potential.

What are the benefits of improving efficiency in the electricity sector?

Improving efficiency in the electricity sector has several benefits. It reduces the cost of electricity, decreases the use of non-renewable resources, and reduces the environmental impact of electricity production. It also allows for more affordable and accessible electricity for consumers.

How can efficiency be improved in the electricity sector?

There are several ways to improve efficiency in the electricity sector, such as investing in new technologies, implementing energy-saving practices, and improving infrastructure. Governments and energy companies also offer incentives for consumers to use energy-efficient appliances and practices to help improve overall efficiency.