What is the electric flux through the hemispherical surface?

In summary, the electric flux through a hollow hemisphere of radius R is calculated by evaluating the surface integral \Phi_E=\int\vec{E}\cdot \hat{n}da, where \hat{n} is the unit vector parallel to the surface element da. If the electric field E is parallel to the axis, the flux is given by EA, while if E is perpendicular to the axis, the flux is given by EA cos(theta). A coordinate system with the origin at the center of the sphere and the z-axis as the axis of the hemisphere can be used to evaluate the integral.
physics231
A uniform field E is parallel to the axis of a hollow hemisphere of radius R. a) What is the electric flux through the hemispherical surface? b) What is the result if E is instead perpendicular to the axis?

Here is what I've interpretted so far. If the field is parallel to the surface, then the electric flux = EA cos(theta). With the angle being 0, I came up with the answer as just EA Therefore that is my answer on part a).

On part b) if the field is perpendicular then the electric flux is just = EA, therefore making that my answer. But I know this isn't right. What step am I missing? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Well the field is certainly not parallel to the surface in both cases. You'll have to evaluate the surface integral

[tex]\Phi_E=\int\vec{E}\cdot \hat{n}da[/tex]

where [itex]\hat{n}[/itex] is the unit vector parallel to the surface element da.

Hint: If you chose a coordinate system in which the origin is on the center of the hollow sphere and in which the z-axis IS the axis of the hollow hemisphere, then what are [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{n}[/itex]?

Last edited:
for your help.

Your interpretation for part a) is correct. The electric flux through the hemispherical surface would indeed be EA, since the angle between the electric field and the surface is 0 degrees.

For part b), you are correct that the electric flux would still be EA. However, the angle between the electric field and the surface is now 90 degrees, not 0 degrees. This means that the cosine of 90 degrees is 0, so the electric flux would be 0. This makes sense intuitively, as the electric field is now perpendicular to the surface, so no electric flux would pass through it.

In summary, your answers for both parts a) and b) are correct. Just make sure to consider the angle between the electric field and the surface when calculating the electric flux.

1. What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the flow of an electric field through a given surface. It is a scalar quantity that represents the number of electric field lines passing through a surface.

2. How is electric flux calculated?

Electric flux is calculated by multiplying the strength of the electric field by the surface area perpendicular to the field. Mathematically, it is represented as Φ = E * A * cosθ, where E is the electric field, A is the surface area, and θ is the angle between the electric field and the surface.

3. What is a hemispherical surface?

A hemispherical surface is a half-sphere, which is a three-dimensional shape with a curved surface that is shaped like the outer surface of a sphere. It has a circular base and a rounded top, with a diameter equal to the radius of the sphere.

4. How is the electric flux through a hemispherical surface calculated?

The electric flux through a hemispherical surface can be calculated by determining the electric field at every point on the surface and then integrating it over the entire surface. This integral is represented as Φ = ∫∫E * dA, where E is the electric field and dA is the differential area element of the surface.

5. Why is the electric flux through a hemispherical surface important?

The electric flux through a hemispherical surface is important because it helps us understand the strength and direction of the electric field at a given point. It is also a useful tool for calculating the amount of electric charge contained within a closed surface, as stated by Gauss's law.