Calculating Electric Flux Through a Non-Uniform Hemispherical Surface

In summary, to calculate the electric flux through the open hemispherical surface given by the equation (x-a)^2 + y^2 + z^2 = a^2 and x >= a, we can use the solid angle method by finding the flux through the area bounded by the equator. However, since the field is not uniform due to the non-equidistant points on the sphere, we may need to explore other methods to solve this problem.
Abhishekdas

Homework Statement

A point charge is placed at the origin. Calculate the electric flux through the open hemispherical surface :(x-a)2 +y2 + z2 = a2
x> or = a.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There is no diagram but this is how i visualised the question(please refer to attachment)...
Now i was thinking of proceeing via solid angle method but it won't work here i guess because each point on the spere is not equidistant from the charge so the field isn't uniform...So how to go about it?

Attachments

• sol.bmp
    238.1 KB · Views: 522
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Abhishekdas! :smile:

Just find the flux through the "equator". :wink:

Hi tiny-tim...

I think you mean to say flux through the area bounded by the equator...
But how do i find that...

1. What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the electric field passing through a surface. It is represented by the symbol ΦE and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. How is electric flux calculated?

Electric flux is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the electric field by the area of the surface and then taking the cosine of the angle between the electric field and the normal vector of the surface. The equation for electric flux is ΦE = E * A * cos(θ).

3. What is the unit of electric flux?

The unit of electric flux is volts per meter (V/m). This unit is derived from the units of electric field (V/m) and area (m^2) used in the calculation of electric flux.

4. How is electric flux related to electric charge?

Electric flux is directly proportional to the amount of electric charge enclosed within a surface. This means that the higher the electric flux, the higher the amount of electric charge present.

5. What is the significance of electric flux in physics?

Electric flux is an important concept in physics as it helps us understand the behavior of electric fields and the interaction between electric charges. It is used in many applications, such as calculating the electric potential and determining the strength of an electric field.