What is the equivalent in kg of the force exerted on a plate

In summary, this conversation is about the force exerted on a plate when eating. The equivalent in kilograms is 9.8 Newtons, which is the force from the weight of the food on the plate, plus whatever force you exert by pushing on the plate with your eating utensils.
LPGXXX
Hello everyone, my question might seem stupid but I'm still wondering : what is the equivalent in kg of the force exerted on a plate when eating? (can't test this with a scale because I am not at home).
Thank you for your kind answers

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no answer to this question as asked, because the kilogram is a measure of mass not force. But we could substitute "Newtons" for kilograms to get the question you're probably trying to ask (it takes a force of about 9.8 Newtons to hold a mass of one kilogram in place against gravity at the Earth's surface).

It will be the force from the weight of the food on the plate, plus whatever force you exert by pushing on the plate with your eating utensils. You know your own eating habits better than we do, so even though you're away from home you're still more able to come up with reasonable estimates of these quantities than we are.

Last edited:
you're right ty pretty stupid question, no need more answers, can be closed thank you.

I am at home so I tried it out, even if it is stupid.
The plate came in at 0.46kg, you can calculate the force on the table (or scales)
I tested the question with an apple and banana which added 0.30kg
I then sacrificed the banana in the name of physics and cut it in half. I was surprised that the scales went up to 2.5 kg so the force was about 25 Newtons.
I will have the banana (slightly brown) for lunch tomorrow.

I think one can easily push down the knife with 5-10 "kg" (50-100 N), when its necessary.

Digging a bit deeper there is no
Nugatory said:
force from the weight of the food on the plate
. Spacetime is curved: the plate and the food are just trying to follow the curvature. Electromagnetic forces are preventing them.

George Keeling said:
Digging a bit deeper there is no . Spacetime is curved: the plate and the food are just trying to follow the curvature. Electromagnetic forces are preventing them.
A strange mix of over complicated explanation and anthropomorphology here. The words "Gravitational Attraction" are quite adequate for this discussion and nothing "tries" to do anything in our models of Science.

1. What is the definition of force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects and causes a change in the motion of an object. It is typically measured in units of Newtons (N).

2. How is force related to weight?

Force and weight are closely related, as weight is a type of force that is exerted by a gravitational field on an object. The weight of an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2 on Earth).

3. What is the SI unit for force?

The SI unit for force is the Newton (N), named after Sir Isaac Newton and defined as the force required to accelerate a mass of 1 kilogram at a rate of 1 meter per second squared.

4. How do you calculate the force exerted on a plate?

To calculate the force exerted on a plate, you need to know the mass of the object on the plate and the acceleration due to gravity. The formula for force is F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. So, the force exerted on a plate can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What is the equivalent in kg of the force exerted on a plate?

The equivalent in kg of the force exerted on a plate would be the weight of the object on the plate, as weight is typically measured in kilograms. So, the force exerted on a plate can be converted to kilograms by dividing it by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2 on Earth).