What is the fifth term in this arithmetic sequence?

In summary, to find the fifth term in the given arithmetic sequence, we can use the first four terms x+y, x-y, xy, x/y to find the common difference between successive terms. With this information, we can then write down the third and fourth terms in a different way and solve for the difference in terms of x and y. From there, we can substitute x = py and use cross multiplication to find the value of p, and ultimately the fifth term of the sequence.
Derivative86
The first four terms in an arithmetic sequence are x+y, x-y, xy, x/y, in that order. What is the fifth term?
Can anyone show me how to do it?
O btw, the fifth term is a number, is not a variable
Thx

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, you know the first term: x + y.

You know the second term: x - y.

So, you can find the difference between successive terms.

Thus, you can write down the third and fourth terms in a different way, and you'll have two equations in two unknowns.

No, it would be 3 variable, becuz of the common difference between them, and the system is very complicated, because is in terms of x and y

Yes, but you can solve for the difference in terms of x and y, so there are only two unknowns!

And it won't be too complicated; have a little faith and try it. :smile: If you get stuck, post how far you got and I can nudge you the rest of the way.

Let us substitute x = py. Then,((p+1)y, (p-1)y, p*y^2 and p (in this order) are first four terms in an arithmetic sequence with a common difference (c.d) of -2y.

Thus, (p-3)y = p*y^2 …(i), and:
(p-5)y = p …(ii)

From (i), we note that y must be nonzero, otherwise x/y becomes indeterminate. Therefore, (i) forces y = (p-3)/p, while from (ii), we obtain: y = p/(p-5)

Hence, (p-3)/p = p/(p-5), whereupon in terms of cross multiplication, we obtain:

p^2 = p^2 – 8p+ 15, so that: p = 15/8, giving: y = -15/25 = -3/5, and:
x = (15/8)*(-3/5) = -9/8

So, the c.d = -2y = 6/5, and accordingly:

The required fifth term = p – 2y = 15/8 + 6/5 = 123/40

Last edited:

Related to What is the fifth term in this arithmetic sequence?

What is an arithmetic sequence?

An arithmetic sequence is a sequence of numbers in which the difference between consecutive terms is constant. This means that each term is found by adding or subtracting the same number from the previous term.

How do you find the nth term of an arithmetic sequence?

The nth term of an arithmetic sequence can be found using the formula: an = a1 + (n-1)d, where an represents the nth term, a1 represents the first term, and d represents the common difference between terms.

What is the common difference in an arithmetic sequence?

The common difference in an arithmetic sequence is the constant amount that is added or subtracted to each term to get the next term in the sequence. It is denoted by the letter d in the formula for finding the nth term.

How can you determine if a sequence is arithmetic?

To determine if a sequence is arithmetic, you can check if the difference between consecutive terms is constant. If the difference is the same for each pair of terms, then the sequence is arithmetic.

How do you use an arithmetic sequence to solve real-world problems?

An arithmetic sequence can be used to model real-world situations where the quantity being measured changes by a constant amount. By finding the nth term of the sequence, you can predict the value of the quantity at any given time or determine how long it will take for the quantity to reach a certain value.