What is the force and recoil problem for Bob throwing a rock at 30 m/s?

• Thread starter vac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: The formula is,##m_{1}.v_{1i}+m_{2}.v_{2i}=m_{1}.v_{1f}+m_{2}.v_{2f}##You just have to fill in the data, since Bob is on frictionless ice, no horizontal external force would act on system (Bob+rock). ask yourself, what was the velocity of rock and Bob before the rock was thrown??
vac

Homework Statement

Bob, who has a mass of 75 kg, can throw a 500 g rock with a speed of 30 m/s. The distance through which his hand moves as he accelerates the rock from rest until he releases it is 1.0 m.

Homework Equations

a. What constant force must Bob exert on the rock to throw it with this speed?
b. If Bob is standing on frictionless ice, what is his recoil speed after releasing the rock?

The Attempt at a Solution

Known
vi = 0
vf = 30 m/s
delta x = 1 m

[itex]v^2 = vi^2 + 2ax = a = 450 m/s^2[/itex]
[itex]F_{net} = m_{total} * a = (75 kg + 0.500 kg)*450 m/s^2 = 33975 N[/itex]

recoil have no idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
vac said:
[itex]F_{net} = m_{total} * a = (75 kg + 0.500 kg)*450 m/s^2 = 33975 N[/itex]

You'll want to check that again!...its not correct. Acceleration is right.

For recoil conserve momentum.

NihalSh said:
You'll want to check that again!...its not correct. Acceleration is right.

For recoil conserve momentum.

I know it is not correct, can you please show me the mistake I have done?

vac said:
I know it is not correct, can you please show me the mistake I have done?

you have taken mass, incorrectly. What is being accelerated?

For the rock is this 0.500kg(450m/s^2) = 225 N
But the other force I can't get correctly.

vac said:
For the rock is this 0.500kg(450m/s^2) = 225 N
But the other force I can't get correctly.

You don't have to!...I hope you have studied momentum conservation. because the force applied is internal to the system (Bob+rock), their momentum is conserved before and after the releasing the rock. I hope this makes it clear!

NihalSh said:
You don't have to!
I hate to disappoint you but I actually have to.
The textbook answer is: 2.3x10^2 N = 230 N
I just don't know how to get that.

Now I am guessing that they round it up just to through me in a loop.

vac said:
I hate to disappoint you but I actually have to.
The textbook answer is: 2.3x10^2 N = 230 N
I just don't know how to get that.

Now I am guessing that they round it up just to through me in a loop.

for part (a), you got the right answer...its just rounded off ##225≈230##, because you only have two significant figures.

part (b), you need to calculate velocity not force, velocity can be found out easily be applying conservation of momentum

if its something else, I really don't know what you are talking about!:rolleyes:

Edit: I guess you meant to find some other force which was applying 5 Newtons. You'll have learn about this, in almost every other scientific/science calculation there is rounding off. Read about significant figures and scientific notation to learn more.

Yes I have, I actually took three semester chemistry and significant figures date back to algebra. How do you apply this conservation of momentum? I know that I studied it before but I just don't remember how?

vac said:
Yes I have, I actually took three semester chemistry and significant figures date back to algebra. How do you apply this conservation of momentum? I know that I studied it before but I just don't remember how?

The formula is,

##m_{1}.v_{1i}+m_{2}.v_{2i}=m_{1}.v_{1f}+m_{2}.v_{2f}##

You just have to fill in the data, since Bob is on frictionless ice, no horizontal external force would act on system (Bob+rock). ask yourself, what was the velocity of rock and Bob before the rock was thrown??

What is the force and recoil problem?

The force and recoil problem is a physics concept that deals with the relationship between an object's mass, acceleration, and the force applied to it. It is often used in the context of firearms, where the force of a bullet being fired causes a recoil in the opposite direction.

How is the force and recoil problem calculated?

The force and recoil problem can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to an object's mass multiplied by its acceleration. In the case of a firearm, the force of the bullet being fired is equal to the mass of the bullet multiplied by its acceleration, while the recoil force is equal to the mass of the gun multiplied by its acceleration.

What factors can affect the force and recoil in a firearm?

The force and recoil in a firearm can be affected by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the bullet, the mass of the gun, the type of ammunition used, and the design of the firearm itself. Additionally, external factors such as the weight and stance of the shooter can also impact the force and recoil experienced.

How does the force and recoil problem apply to other situations besides firearms?

The force and recoil problem applies to any situation where a force is applied to an object, resulting in a change in its motion. This can include scenarios such as throwing a ball, pushing a car, or even jumping off a diving board. In each of these situations, the force and recoil must be considered in order to understand the resulting motion.

What are some practical applications of the force and recoil problem?

The force and recoil problem has numerous practical applications in fields such as engineering, sports, and defense. Engineers must consider the force and recoil when designing structures or machines, athletes must understand it in order to improve their performance, and the military uses it to develop more efficient and effective weapons.