What is the Fourier transform of second order polarization?

In summary, the conversation is about trying to solve a problem involving the Fourier transform of a function in a set of notes. The person is unsure of which approach to take and ultimately chooses to write every factor in terms of its Fourier transform. However, this results in some complications and they are seeking a hint for guidance.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi

I am trying to solve problem 2.1 in these notes (it is on the very first page): http://qis.ucalgary.ca/quantech/673/notes/chapter_two.pdf . The problem tells me to show that the Fourier transform of

[tex]
P^{(2)} (t) = \varepsilon _0 \frac{1}{{(2\pi )^2 }}\int_{ - \infty }^\infty {\int_{ - \infty }^\infty {\chi ^{(2)} (t_1 ,t_2 )E(t - t_1 )E(t - t_2 )dt_1 dt_2 } }
[/tex]

is given by

[tex]
P^{(2)}(\omega ) = \varepsilon _0 \int_{ - \infty }^\infty {\int_{ - \infty }^\infty {\chi ^{(2)} (\omega _1 ,\omega _2 )\delta (\omega - \omega _1 - \omega _2 )E(\omega _1 )E(\omega _2 )d\omega _1 d\omega _2 } }
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, so I know that the FT of a convolution yields a product and that the FT of a delta-function is a constant. I am not sure whether to

1) tack on a factor of exp(-iωt) and integrate over t on both sides OR
2) write every factor in terms of its FT, and then compare terms in the end

I choose option 2. Here goes

[tex]
\int_{ - \infty }^\infty {P(\omega )e^{ - i\omega t} } = \varepsilon _0 \frac{1}{{(2\pi )^2 }}\int_{ - \infty }^\infty {\int_{ - \infty }^\infty {\chi ^{(2)} (\omega _1 ,\omega _2 )e^{ - i\omega _1 t_1 - i\omega _2 t_2 } E(\omega _1 )e^{ - i\omega _1 (t - t_1 )} E(\omega _2 )e^{ - i\omega _2 (t - t_2 )} d\omega _1 d\omega _2 dt_1 dt_2 } }
[/tex]

But this makes t1 and t2 go out in the exponentials, which is no good. But if I go back to option 1, I can't see how I would ever end up with a delta-function in ω-ω12.

I would really appreciate a hint.Niles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No one has a hint? In principle this seems straightforward, but I simply cannot crack this nut.

1. What is second order polarization?

Second order polarization refers to the phenomenon where an electric field causes a material to become polarized, creating a dipole moment in the opposite direction of the electric field. This polarization is proportional to the square of the electric field and is known as second order because it involves the second power of the field.

2. How does second order polarization differ from first order polarization?

First order polarization refers to the linear relationship between electric field and polarization, while second order polarization involves a quadratic relationship. This means that second order polarization is a more significant effect at higher electric field strengths.

3. What materials exhibit second order polarization?

Materials that exhibit second order polarization are typically non-centrosymmetric, meaning they do not have a center of symmetry. This includes crystals such as quartz, as well as many organic molecules.

4. What are some applications of second order polarization?

Second order polarization is important in many technologies, including electro-optic modulators, frequency doublers, and optical switches. It is also crucial in the field of nonlinear optics, where it is used to generate new frequencies of light.

5. How is second order polarization measured?

Second order polarization can be measured through techniques such as second-harmonic generation and electro-optic sampling. These methods involve using an incident electric field to probe the material's polarization response and then measuring the resulting second order polarization.