What is the generating function proof for Legendre polynomials?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of showing that \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+u^2 -2xu}} is a generating function of the Legendre polynomials. The method involves finding the binomial series of \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-s}} and then inserting s = -u2 + 2xu. However, the process becomes tedious and there is no simple closed form for the polynomial. The conversation also mentions alternative methods found online, but it is unclear if they follow the given instructions.
physicsjock
Hey

I've been trying to show that [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+u^2 -2xu}}[/itex] is a generating function of the polynomials,

in other words that
[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+u^2 -2xu}}=\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty }{{{P}_{n}}(x){{u}^{n}}}[/itex]

My class was told to do this by first finding the binomial series of
[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-s}}[/itex]

And then insert s = -u2 + 2xu

Then to expand out sn and group together all the un terms,

this is what I've been doing for a while and i haven't been able to see the end,

[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x}}=\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty }{\frac{\left( -\frac{1}{2} \right)\left( -\frac{3}{2} \right)...\left( \frac{1}{2}-n \right)}{n!}}{{(-x)}^{n?}}\,\,\,\,\,let\,\,x=2xu-{{u}^{2}}[/itex]

[itex]
(u(u-2x))^{n}=u^{n}\left[ {{u}^{n}}-2x\frac{n!}{(n-1)!}{{u}^{n-1}}+4{{x}^{2}}\frac{n!}{(n-2)!}{{u}^{n-2}}+...+\frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}{{(-1)}^{r}}{{u}^{n-r}}{{(2x)}^{r}}+...+{{(-1)}^{n}}{{(2x)}^{n}} \right]
[/itex]

but I'm getting stuck at this point,

every term here has a factor of un however there are still u's within the bracket so I can't simplify it to Pn(x),

Have i miss interpreted the instructions or is straight forward way to do this?

I have found online other methods of this proof but they don't follow the instruction we were given

any help is verryy appreciated,

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
you are looking at the generating function of the Legendre polynomials
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legendre_polynomials
which does not assume a simply closed form, therefore, you don't expect the very tedious series to simplify. I'm not sure what your prof want to see though, but Pn(x) can only be given recursively or formally as the formal Taylor expansion of the generating function.

1. What is a generating function?

A generating function is a mathematical tool used in combinatorics and analysis to represent a sequence of numbers or coefficients as a function. It can be seen as a power series that encodes information about the sequence.

2. How is a generating function used in proofs?

In a generating function proof, the generating function is used to transform a complicated combinatorial problem into a simpler algebraic problem. This allows for the use of techniques from algebra and calculus to solve the problem and prove the desired result.

3. What types of problems can be solved using generating function proofs?

Generating function proofs are commonly used to solve problems related to counting, probability, and recurrence relations. They can also be applied to solve problems in other areas of mathematics, such as graph theory and number theory.

4. Are there any limitations to using generating function proofs?

Generating function proofs can only be used for problems that can be represented as a sequence of numbers or coefficients. They are also limited to problems that have a finite number of solutions.

5. What are some advantages of using generating function proofs?

Generating function proofs provide a powerful and elegant approach to solving combinatorial problems. They allow for the use of techniques from algebra and calculus, making it easier to manipulate and solve complex problems. Additionally, generating function proofs can often lead to more efficient and general solutions compared to other methods.