What is the Identity of the Unknown Liquid Used in a Dumas Bulb Experiment?

In summary, the individual performed a laboratory experiment using a Dumas bulb to determine the molar mass of an unknown, clear liquid in order to identify it. The resulting mean molar mass was 38.1 g/mol with a confidence interval of +-18.1 g/mol, due to an error in the third trial. The liquid is clear, safe to inhale in vapor form, and does not have a distinct smell. Its boiling point is lower than 100 degrees C and it is not an exotic compound. The individual is now deciding between ethanol and methanol, with the information that methanol may be poisonous in vapor form leading them to believe it is ethanol.
yellowcakepie
I performed a laboratory experiment using a Dumas bulb to find the molar mass of an unknown, clear liquid in order to identify it. The Dumas bulb was submerged in a beaker filled with water (with the tip out of the water) and the water was boiled to evaporate the sample.

I eventually got a result with 38.1 g/mol as the mean, with a huge confidence interval (at 95%) of +- 18.1 g/mol. This is because I screwed up my 3rd trial so I could only use my first 2. I got results of 36.72, 39.56, and 49.11 g/mol.

I need help identifying this liquid.

The liquid is clear, safe to inhale in vapor form (I'm still alive), does not have a distinct smell, has a boiling point lower than 100 degrees C, and is not "an exotic compound".

Edit: I'm now deciding between ethanol and methanol. I'm hearing that methanol is poisonous in vapor form, so I think it may be ethanol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This appears to be lab homework, so moving the thread to homework section. No template.

yellowcakepie said:
does not have a distinct smell

I'm now deciding between ethanol and methanol. I'm hearing that methanol is poisonous in vapor form, so I think it may be ethanol.

These alcohols do have a quite characteristic smell.

Methanol isn’t really any more poisonous than other common solvents. Of course, like most common solvents, if you drink it, that’s bad news, but simply smelling it is very unlikely to hurt you.

Related to What is the Identity of the Unknown Liquid Used in a Dumas Bulb Experiment?

1. What is the purpose of identifying an unknown liquid?

Identifying an unknown liquid is important for various reasons. It can help determine its potential uses, safety precautions, and proper disposal methods. It can also provide valuable information for researchers and scientists to further understand the chemical properties and behavior of the liquid.

2. How do scientists identify an unknown liquid?

Scientists use various methods and techniques to identify an unknown liquid. These can include physical observations, chemical tests, and spectroscopy. They also compare the properties of the unknown liquid with known substances to determine its identity.

3. What are some physical properties that can help identify an unknown liquid?

Some physical properties that can help identify an unknown liquid include color, odor, density, boiling and freezing points, and viscosity. These properties can provide clues about the possible chemical composition of the liquid.

4. Why is it important to handle an unknown liquid with caution?

Handling an unknown liquid with caution is crucial because it could potentially be hazardous. Without knowing its identity, the liquid could be corrosive, toxic, or flammable. Proper safety precautions should always be taken when handling unknown liquids to avoid any accidents or injuries.

5. What are the limitations of identifying an unknown liquid?

There are some limitations when identifying an unknown liquid. Some liquids may have similar physical properties, making it difficult to differentiate between them. Additionally, some chemical tests or techniques may not provide conclusive results, and further analysis may be required. It is also important to note that some unknown liquids may be composed of multiple substances, making it challenging to determine a single identity.