What is the Indefinite Integral of \sqrt{z} along a Path in the Third Quadrant?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
mattmns
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
5
Here is the exercise:

Use the indefinite integral to compute [tex]\int_{C} \sqrt{z}dz[/tex] where C is a path from z = i to z = -1 and lying in the third quadrant. Note: [tex]\sqrt{z} = e^{(1/2)lnz}[/tex] where the principal branch of lnz is defined on [tex]C \setminus [0,\infty][/tex].
-------

I am just a little unsure of why he gave us that note (although I do use it). Here is what I did for the exercise:

[tex]\int_{C} \sqrt{z}dz = \left[ \frac{2}{3}z^{3/2} \right]_{i}^{-1}[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{2}{3} \left[ e^{(3/2)ln(-1)} - e^{(3/2)ln(i)} \right][/tex]

[tex]= \frac{2}{3} \left[ e^{(3/2)\pi i} - e^{(3/2)(\pi/2) i} \right][/tex]

[tex]= \frac{2}{3}(1 - 2i)[/tex]

Everything look fine?

Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you computed e^(3/2 pi/2 i) incorrectly, but other than that it looks ok. The reason he was explicit about the branch cut was because you'd get a different answer if the cut passed through the path.
 
Woops, I forgot the whole [itex]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/itex] part in there. Thanks!