1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the initial potential energy in the spring?

1. Oct 9, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A wooden block with mass 1.75 kg is placed against a compressed spring at the bottom of a slope inclined at an angle of 34.0 (point ). When the spring is released, it projects the block up the incline. At point , a distance of 4.55m up the incline from , the block is moving up the incline at a speed of 5.85 m/s and is no longer in contact with the spring. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and incline is = 0.55. The mass of the spring is negligible.

What is the initial potential energy in the spring??

2. Relevant equations
    ok, I know that you do kinetic energy + potential energy +friction
    K = .5mv^2
    U = mgh
    U of spring = .5*k*v^2

3. The attempt at a solution

But How do i account for the angles and mu, if some one could show me the equation..I would understand. I have tried everything.. Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2007 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The angle will help you to determine 'h' in the 'mgh' term, and also will aid in determining the value of the normal force used in your calcuation of the friction force.

4. Oct 9, 2007 #3
    how would i calculate h though? i don't know?? please help

5. Oct 9, 2007 #4
    would h just be mgmucostheta

6. Oct 9, 2007 #5

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, what's h got to do with mu?
    h is the height that the block reaches above ground when it is 4.55m up the incline. From trig, h is just 4.55 sin theta, no?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?