What is the initial potential energy in the spring?

In summary, the problem involves a wooden block with mass 1.75 kg being placed against a compressed spring at the bottom of a slope inclined at an angle of 34.0 degrees. When the spring is released, the block is projected up the incline and at a distance of 4.55m up the incline, it is moving at a speed of 5.85 m/s and is no longer in contact with the spring. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and incline is 0.55 and the mass of the spring is negligible. The question asks for the initial potential energy in the spring. To solve this, the equations for kinetic and potential energy, along with the friction force, are used.
azila

Homework Statement

A wooden block with mass 1.75 kg is placed against a compressed spring at the bottom of a slope inclined at an angle of 34.0 (point ). When the spring is released, it projects the block up the incline. At point , a distance of 4.55m up the incline from , the block is moving up the incline at a speed of 5.85 m/s and is no longer in contact with the spring. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and incline is = 0.55. The mass of the spring is negligible.

What is the initial potential energy in the spring??

Homework Equations

ok, I know that you do kinetic energy + potential energy +friction
K = .5mv^2
U = mgh
U of spring = .5*k*v^2

The Attempt at a Solution

But How do i account for the angles and mu, if some one could show me the equation..I would understand. I have tried everything.. Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
azila said:

Homework Statement

A wooden block with mass 1.75 kg is placed against a compressed spring at the bottom of a slope inclined at an angle of 34.0 (point ). When the spring is released, it projects the block up the incline. At point , a distance of 4.55m up the incline from , the block is moving up the incline at a speed of 5.85 m/s and is no longer in contact with the spring. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and incline is = 0.55. The mass of the spring is negligible.

What is the initial potential energy in the spring??

Homework Equations

ok, I know that you do kinetic energy + potential energy +friction
K = .5mv^2
U = mgh
U of spring = .5*k*v^2

The Attempt at a Solution

But How do i account for the angles and mu, if some one could show me the equation..I would understand. I have tried everything.. Thanks in advance
The angle will help you to determine 'h' in the 'mgh' term, and also will aid in determining the value of the normal force used in your calcuation of the friction force.

how would i calculate h though? i don't know?? please help

would h just be mgmucostheta

azila said:
would h just be mgmucostheta
No, what's h got to do with mu?
h is the height that the block reaches above ground when it is 4.55m up the incline. From trig, h is just 4.55 sin theta, no?

1. What is potential energy in a spring?

Potential energy in a spring is the stored energy that a spring possesses when it is compressed or stretched from its equilibrium position. This energy is stored in the form of elastic potential energy due to the deformation of the spring.

2. How is potential energy related to a spring's initial position?

The potential energy in a spring is directly related to its initial position. The more a spring is compressed or stretched from its equilibrium position, the higher its potential energy will be.

3. What is the formula for calculating potential energy in a spring?

The formula for potential energy in a spring is E = 1/2 kx², where E is the potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position.

4. Does the initial potential energy in a spring change over time?

No, the initial potential energy in a spring remains constant as long as there is no external force acting on the spring. However, as the spring is compressed or stretched, the potential energy may be converted into other forms of energy such as kinetic energy.

5. How does the initial potential energy in a spring affect its motion?

The initial potential energy in a spring is directly related to the amount of work that the spring can do. As the spring is released, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, which is responsible for the spring's motion. The greater the initial potential energy, the more work the spring can do and the faster it will move.