What is the Integral of (2)/(x^2 + 1)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ZedCar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 70K views
ZedCar
Messages
353
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



Integrate (2x)/(x^2 + 1)

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Is the answer:

(2x) log|x^2 + 1|

as I thought the answer to this type of question is the log of the absolute value of the denominator multiplied by the numerator.

The answer given when I use Wolfram Alpha is log(x^2+1) + (tan x)^-1
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually your answer would be ln(x2+1)+C. (look at putting t=x2+1)

Which is what wolfram gave to me.
 
Thank you.
Yes, I'm getting the same answer as you now on Wolfram.

If the question had instead been
Integrate (2)/(x^2 + 1) (no x in the numerator)

Would the answer also have been log|x^2 + 1| + c
 
ZedCar said:
Thank you.
Yes, I'm getting the same answer as you now on Wolfram.

If the question had instead been
Integrate (2)/(x^2 + 1) (no x in the numerator)

Would the answer also have been log|x^2 + 1| + c

In that case the answer would be 2tan-1(x) + C since d/dx(tan-1x) = 1/(x2+1).