What is the integral of e^(1/x)

• Thread starter iVenky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding the integral of e1/x, which cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions and requires the use of a special function called Ei. The connection between complete/incomplete elliptic integrals and hypergeometric functions is also mentioned. Finally, a method for finding the integral is suggested by expanding e^x into a power series and integrating each term.
iVenky
Well I was solving this differential equation and I had to find out the integral of e1/x

[itex]\int e1/x[/itex] dx

Thanks in advance.

Why is this latex thing for integral not working ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The integral can not be expressed in terms of elementary functions.

Can you post the ODE, you might have done a mistake somewhere.

@Jean: Do you know if there's a connection (functional relation) between certain hypergeometric functions and the complete/incomplete elliptic integrals ? I suspect there might be one.

Last edited:
@ dextercioby:

The relationships between Complete Elliptic Integrals E(x), K(x) and Gauss Hypergeometric functions are shown in attachment.
I don't know about such relationship for Incomplete Elliptic Integrals. I suppose that it would be much more complicated to develop those integrals into hypergeometric series. If possible, most likely this would involve hypergeometic functions of higher level than 2F1.

Attachments

• Elliptic vs hypergeometric.JPG
    Elliptic vs hypergeometric.JPG
    4.7 KB · Views: 835
If all you need is *an answer* then...

step 1: expand e^x into a power series: e^x = 1 + x + (1/2!)x^2 + (1/3!)x^3 + ...
step 2: substitute 1/x for x: e^(1/x) = 1 + x^-1 + (1/2!)x^-2 + (1/3!)x^-3 + ...
step 3: integrate each term of the power series: x + ln x -(1/2!)x^-1 - (1/2)(1/3!)x^-2 +...

if i made an algebra mistake, sorry... but the idea is clear.

1. What is the definition of an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the accumulation of a quantity over time or space. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is used to find the total amount of a quantity when its rate of change is known.

2. What is the integral of e^(1/x)?

The integral of e^(1/x) is a special type of integral called an improper integral. It does not have an exact closed form solution, but it can be approximated using numerical methods or expressed in terms of other mathematical functions.

3. How do you solve an integral of e^(1/x)?

To solve an integral of e^(1/x), you can use substitution, integration by parts, or other techniques. However, because this integral does not have an exact solution, it is usually approximated using numerical methods.

4. What is the significance of the integral of e^(1/x)?

The integral of e^(1/x) has applications in probability and statistics, as well as in the study of fractals and self-similar structures. It is also used in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics, to solve certain problems involving wavefunctions.

5. Can the integral of e^(1/x) be negative?

Yes, the integral of e^(1/x) can be negative. This is because the value of e^(1/x) can be negative for certain values of x, and the integral represents the total accumulation of the function over that range of x-values. However, the definite integral of e^(1/x) over a specific interval will always be positive or zero.