What is the Integral of (Tan x)^2? Learn the Solution Here!

  • Thread starter Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
transgalactic
Messages
1,386
Reaction score
0
what is the integral of (tan x)^2

i added a file in which i showed the way i tried to solve it
 
Attachments
  • tan.GIF
    tan.GIF
    174.3 KB · Views: 563
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm going to ask again, what is its direct trig identity
 
the trig identity is tangent

but my integral is
tangent square
 
Lol

Are you familiar with what Mathgician said? Its a well known Trigonometric Identity, [itex]\tan^2 x = \sec^2 x -1[/itex]

Knowing that,

[tex]\int \tan^2 x dx = \int (\sec^2 x - 1) dx = \int \sec^2 x dx - \int 1 dx = (\int \sec^2 x dx ) - x[/tex]

For the integral of (sec x) squared, if you don't already know it, try differentiating tan x, what is that?
 
If you are doing integrals right now, you have to have come across the derivative of tanx from differential calc class. No offense, but its the most basic derivative and identity is so common, I just thought you already should have known. I've seen you help many people on this board with integrals, I assumed that you would already knew or maybe you just had a brain fart or something. Its alright I have moments like these also.:cool:
 
Last edited:
In fact, I just look through your attachment right there. You didn't even need Mathgicians or my suggestions for that identity, you got it yourself! 1/cos^2 x is sec^2 x :D You just needed to notice that was the derivative of tan x, instead of using cos^2 x = (1+cos 2x)/2
 
yeeepppp thank you very much

i got it
it was right under my nose