Showing a Distribution is Gaussian

In summary: To do this, you must complete the square in the Gaussian integral and then evaluate some Gaussian integrals that have been worked out before.
NATURE.M

Homework Statement

Consider f = wT x, where p(w) ∼ N (w|0, Σ). Show that p(f|x) is Gaussian.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So there are apparently two approaches to this problem using either the linearity of f in terms of w or moment generating functions. But I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to proceed. I can see the we can use the moment generating function to show that the sum of two independent normal distributions is also a normal distribution (i.e since the sum can be written as a product of the mgf's). But I'm a bit stumbled by this. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: we are allowed to assume that the variables of w (w1, ...wd) are independent.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's info missing. Do you intend w and x to be vector random variables of the same dimension?
What do you mean by p(w) ∼ N (w|0, Σ)?
Did you mean w ∼ N (0, Σ)? (which is standard notation for saying that the vector random variable w is distributed as a Normal with zero mean and correlation matrix Σ).

I can see the we can use the moment generating function to show that the sum of two independent normal distributions is also a normal distribution (i.e since the sum can be written as a product of the mgf's). But I'm a bit stumbled by this
When two normal RVs are correlated, you can show the sum is normal using mgfs, but it's longer as you can't factorise.
The mgf of ##X_1+X_2## where ##X_1,X_2## are zero-mean normals with correlation ##\rho## is

$$E[e^{t(X_1+X_2)}]=\int_{-\infty}^\infty\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{t(x_1+x_2)} \phi(x_1,x_2,\sigma_1,\sigma_2,\rho)\,dx_1\,dx_2$$

##\phi## is the joint Gaussian pdf. Since it's exponential in form, you should be able to combine it with the other bit, do some completing the square and simplifying and before you know it, you'll have the mgf of a univariate Gaussian.
Having done that case, you just use the fact that shifting the mean of a Gaussian leaves it as still Gaussian to generalise this to Gaussians with nonzero means.

Last edited:
NATURE.M said:

Homework Statement

Consider f = wT x, where p(w) ∼ N (w|0, Σ). Show that p(f|x) is Gaussian.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So there are apparently two approaches to this problem using either the linearity of f in terms of w or moment generating functions. But I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to proceed. I can see the we can use the moment generating function to show that the sum of two independent normal distributions is also a normal distribution (i.e since the sum can be written as a product of the mgf's). But I'm a bit stumbled by this. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: we are allowed to assume that the variables of w (w1, ...wd) are independent.

No, you are not allowed to assume that ##w_1, w_2, \ldots, w_n## are independent; it is supposed that their variance-covariance matrix ##\Sigma## is given as input data. Making them independent would destroy the power of the conclusion.

The problem is reasonably straightforward it you use a moment-generating function approach; that is, if ##f = x_1 w_1 + x_2 w_2 + \cdots + x_n w_n## and if ##M = \sigma^{-1}## is the inverse matrix of ##\sigma##, you want to show that its moment-generating function
[tex] M(t) = E \exp\left(t \sum_i x_i w_i \right) = \frac{\sqrt{\det(M)}}{(2 \pi)^{n/2}} \int_{R^n} \exp\left(-\frac{1}{2} w^T M w + t \sum_i x_i w_i \right) \, d^n w [/tex]
takes the simple form
[tex] M(t) = e^{\frac{1}{2} \sigma^2 t^2} [/tex]
for some positive constant ##\sigma^2##.

1. What is a Gaussian distribution?

A Gaussian distribution, also known as a normal distribution, is a type of probability distribution that is commonly used in statistics. It is characterized by a bell-shaped curve and is symmetrical around the mean, with the majority of data falling within one standard deviation of the mean.

2. How can I tell if a distribution is Gaussian?

To determine if a distribution is Gaussian, you can plot a histogram of the data and visually inspect if it resembles a bell-shaped curve. Additionally, you can use statistical tests such as the Shapiro-Wilk test or the Kolmogorov-Smirnov test to formally test for normality.

3. What are the properties of a Gaussian distribution?

A Gaussian distribution has several key properties, including: a symmetric and bell-shaped curve, a mean, median, and mode that are all equal, and the majority of data falling within one standard deviation of the mean. It also follows the 68-95-99.7 rule, where approximately 68% of data falls within one standard deviation of the mean, 95% falls within two standard deviations, and 99.7% falls within three standard deviations.

4. What is the significance of a Gaussian distribution in science?

Gaussian distributions are commonly used in science because many natural phenomena follow this distribution. They are also useful for making predictions and conducting statistical analyses due to their well-defined properties. Additionally, the Central Limit Theorem states that the sum of many independent random variables will tend towards a Gaussian distribution, making it a fundamental concept in many fields of science.

5. Can a distribution be partially Gaussian?

Yes, a distribution can have characteristics of a Gaussian distribution but not fully follow the standard normal distribution. This is known as a skew-normal distribution, where the data is still bell-shaped but is skewed to one side. Skewness and kurtosis are measures that can be used to quantify how closely a distribution resembles a Gaussian distribution.