What is the mathematically correct way to write this summation?

• Thread starter Kalus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the conversation discusses how to make a mathematical calculation more accurate using the trapezium rule. It introduces the concept of a graph with a torque function, and discusses the use of the summation symbol and integration to find the estimated area. The conversation also touches on the use of degrees and radians in the calculations. Ultimately, it is determined that the best solution is to use a 1 degree step size in radians, and to express the summation in degrees for accuracy.
Kalus
How can I make this mathematically correct? I hope you see what I'm trying to do?...

If you have a graph where:
[tex]W=\displaystyle\int^{\theta_{2\pi}}_{\theta_{0}} \tau d\theta[/tex]
Then the estimated area with the trapesium rule:
[tex]
\displaystyle\int^{\theta_{2\pi}}_{\theta_{0}} \tau d\theta\approx(\theta_{2\pi}-\theta_{0})\frac{f(\theta_{0})+f(\theta_{2\pi})}{2}[/tex]
Since one cycle is split into 360 uniformly spaced points, or 359 segments, with 1 degree spacing, this gives a step size of [tex]h=\frac{2\pi}{360}=\frac{\pi}{180}[/tex].
Then the integration is:
[tex]W=\displaystyle\int^{\theta_{2\pi}}_{\theta_{0}} \tau d\theta\approx \frac{h}{2}\displaystyle\sum\limits_{i=0}^{2\pi} (f(\theta_i)+f(\theta_{i+h}))[/tex]

Now, I seem to be mixing degrees and radians... when you use the summation symbol, is it always assumed that the summation goes up in values of one, i.e, if you have summation between k=1 and k=10 that this will go up 1,2,3,4 etc.?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Kalus! :smile:
Kalus said:
... when you use the summation symbol, is it always assumed that the summation goes up in values of one, i.e, if you have summation between k=1 and k=10 that this will go up 1,2,3,4 etc.?

Yes, the ∑ always goes up in values of one, eg [itex]\sum\limits_{i=1}^n[/itex], you can't put "2π" on top. :wink:

(btw, your f(θi) notation is weird … it should be something like f(2πi/180) )

The upper limit of i should be 359, since you have divided the domain into 359 intervals, and you started with i=0. It is not a matter of degrees or radians. Also the function points are θi and θi+1 or θi and θi + h.

Your sub-scripting for θ is also messy. For the sum you are using index subscripts while for the integral you are sub-scripting by angle values.

Thank you for the replies.

Is this better now?

[tex]W=\displaystyle\int^{\theta_{2\pi}}_{\theta_{0}} \tau d\theta\approx \frac{h}{2}\displaystyle\sum\limits_{k=0}^{359} (f(\frac{k\pi}{180})+f(\frac{(k+1)\pi}{180}))[/tex]

or would this be more appropriate?

[tex]W=\displaystyle\int^{\theta_{2\pi}}_{\theta_{0}} \tau d\theta\approx \frac{\pi}{360}\displaystyle\sum\limits_{\theta=0}^{359} (f(\theta)+f(\theta+1))[/tex]

How could I adjust this to follow the same formatting as above?

[tex]\displaystyle\int^{\theta_{2\pi}}_{\theta_{0}} \tau d\theta\approx(\theta_{2\pi}-\theta_{0})\frac{f(\theta_{0})+f(\theta_{2\pi})}{2}[/tex]

Hi Kalus! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

I'm not sure what the relation is between your τ and your f :confused:

I would expect to see something like

[tex]W=\displaystyle\int^{2\pi}_0 f(\theta) d\theta\approx \frac{1}{360}\displaystyle\sum\limits_{k=0}^{359} (f(k\pi/180)+f((k+1)\pi/180))[/tex]

Hi tiny-tim,

τ, the torque is a function of θ. I guess I should avoid using f at all?

I've changed it to this now:

The trapezoidal rule, which says:
[tex]\displaystyle\int^{b}_{a}f(x) dx\approx(b-a)\frac{f(a)+f(b)}{2}[/tex]
Applied to the work integration:
[tex]\displaystyle\int^{\theta_{2\pi}}_{\theta_{0}} \tau d\theta\approx(2\pi)\frac{\tau(0)+\tau(2\pi)}{2}[/tex]
Since one cycle is split into 360 uniformly spaced points, or 359 segments, with $1^{\circ}$ spacing, this gives a step size of [tex]h=\frac{2\pi}{360}=\frac{\pi}{180}[/tex]
The integration can then be found with:

[tex]W=\displaystyle\int^{\theta_{2\pi}}_{\theta_{0}} \tau d\theta\approx \frac{\pi}{360}\displaystyle\sum\limits_{\theta=0}^{359} (\tau(\theta)+\tau(\theta+1))[/tex]

Since the graph is in graph and τ is calculated in degrees it would be better for the summation to be in degrees. I have expressed the 1 degree step size in radians (pi/180), which becomes (pi/360) at the start when divided through by 2 following the formula.

Is this the best solution?

Yes, that's fine. :smile:

(except your [itex]\displaystyle\int^{\theta_{2\pi}}_{\theta_{0}} d\theta[/itex] should be [itex]\displaystyle\int^{2\pi}_0 d\theta[/itex] …

θ goes from 0 to 2π, not from θo to θ)

1. What is a summation in mathematics?

A summation is a mathematical operation that calculates the total of a set of numbers by adding them together. It is represented using the Greek letter sigma (Σ) and a variable or index that defines the range of numbers to be added.

2. How do you write a summation in mathematical notation?

A summation is typically written in the form of Σn=1n with the variable n representing the starting value and the final value of the summation, and the expression to be summed written after the sigma symbol. For example, Σi=1^3 2i means to sum the numbers 2, 4, and 6.

3. What is the difference between a finite and infinite summation?

A finite summation has a specific starting and ending point, whereas an infinite summation continues indefinitely. In other words, a finite summation has a finite number of terms to be added, while an infinite summation has an infinite number of terms to be added.

4. How do you determine the correct way to write a summation?

The correct way to write a summation depends on the specific problem or equation. It is important to carefully consider the range of values for the variable and the expression to be summed, as well as any specific instructions or conditions given in the problem.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when writing a summation?

Some common mistakes when writing a summation include forgetting to include the sigma symbol, using the wrong variable or index, and not properly defining the range of values to be summed. It is also important to double check the expression being summed to ensure it is correct and includes all necessary terms.