What is the mathematics that took us to the moon?

In summary: The NOR gates used in the Apollo Guidance Computer were more resistant to the radiation experienced in space than other technologies of that era.
AndrewRibeiro
Are Newton's three laws all that was needed for the science that got us to the moon? Or did we need Einstein's theories to get there? I just started studying physics last week, so forgive me for my baseness.

Physics news on Phys.org
We did not need Einstein's theories to get there. Taking relativistic effects into account would only correct us by a few centimeters or so. We, of course, also needed all of the extensions of Newton's laws, i.e. all of the mechanical engineering, aerodynamics, etc. that would allow the spaceship to be structurally sound, so you also need to bring the equations of material mechanics into things. Also, thermodynamics had to be involved. Fluid mechanics for the aerodynamics, almost a century of telecommunications technology. So I'd say you can't break it down to just Newton's laws. We stood on the shoulders of many more giants to go to the moon.

If you're talking only in terms of orbital mechanics, though, no, no relativity was used. Newton's equations are good enough (though I'm sure we utilized mathematical methods introduced long after Newton to solve those equations).

A bit of trivia, part of Apollo's navigation involved something like a sextant and star charts, to accurately locate position and orientation of the Apollo, which was needed to make accurate thrust based transitions in and out of orbit from the Earth and moon. Earth based systems could track the Apollo for the Earth to lunar transition, but the moon to Earth transition thrust occurred past the far side of the moon.

http://www.spaceartifactsarchive.com/2013/05/the-star-chart-of-apollo.html

Likes AndrewRibeiro
Welcome to PF!
AndrewRibeiro said:
Are Newton's three laws all that was needed for the science that got us to the moon?
Four laws. :wink:

Likes AndrewRibeiro
Four?

Is this like telling a freshman there's a pool on the roof?

AndrewRibeiro said:
Is this like telling a freshman there's a pool on the roof?
What I think Russ is getting at is that Newton's "three" laws alone do not say much about gravity.

Likes AndrewRibeiro and russ_watters
jbriggs444 said:
What I think Russ is getting at is that Newton's "three" laws alone do not say much about gravity.
Yep. There was a slight disconnect in your OP, where you are clearly implying gravity by mentioning relativity, but gravity is a different law from the three laws of motion.

If I wanted to get super nitpicky, I'd probably say there were lots of others needed for the technology, including from Newton, like his law of cooling.

Likes AndrewRibeiro
rcgldr said:
A bit of trivia, part of Apollo's navigation involved something like a sextant and star charts, to accurately locate position and orientation of the Apollo, which was needed to make accurate thrust based transitions in and out of orbit from the Earth and moon. Earth based systems could track the Apollo for the Earth to lunar transition, but the moon to Earth transition thrust occurred past the far side of the moon.

http://www.spaceartifactsarchive.com/2013/05/the-star-chart-of-apollo.html
These navigation tools were used on Apollo because things we take for granted, like cheap calculators and small computers, weren't available or were too big to put in the spacecraft .

This article discusses the guidance system equipment which was used on most Apollo missions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer

Likes AndrewRibeiro
SteamKing said:
This article discusses the guidance system equipment which was used on most Apollo missions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer

If I recall correctly, the NOR gates uses in that computer were more resistant to the radiation experienced in space that other technolgies of that era.

Likes AndrewRibeiro

Related to What is the mathematics that took us to the moon?

What is the mathematics that took us to the moon?

The mathematics that took us to the moon is a combination of various mathematical concepts and theories, including calculus, geometry, algebra, and trigonometry.

How did mathematics contribute to the success of the Apollo missions?

Mathematics played a crucial role in the success of the Apollo missions by allowing scientists and engineers to calculate trajectories, orbital mechanics, and other important factors necessary for a successful journey to the moon.

What specific mathematical equations were used in the Apollo missions?

The Apollo missions utilized various mathematical equations, including Newton's laws of motion, Kepler's laws of planetary motion, and the law of universal gravitation. These equations were used to calculate the spacecraft's trajectory, velocity, and other important parameters.

How did computers aid in the use of mathematics during the Apollo missions?

Computers were used extensively during the Apollo missions to perform complex calculations and simulations, allowing for more accurate and efficient use of mathematical concepts. Without computers, it would have been nearly impossible to complete the calculations necessary for the missions.

Can we use the same mathematics to explore other planets and celestial bodies?

While the specific calculations and equations used for the Apollo missions may not be applicable to other planets and celestial bodies, the underlying principles of mathematics remain the same. Scientists and engineers continue to use mathematical concepts to explore and understand the universe.