What is the maximum lifespan of a B-class blue giant star?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter SF Alba
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    stars
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
SF Alba
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hi. I couldn't find good information of this online, so I'll ask here.
I'm wondering what the maximum possible lifespan of a particular star.
Here's what is known of it:
It's a B class-blue giant star.
Its surface temperature is 25,000 K.
(This is very vague and may offer no help but:) It has no lower than 40,000 G force, and no more than 2.7 Billion.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
SF Alba said:
I'm wondering what the maximum possible lifespan of a particular star.
Here's what is known of it:
It's a B class-blue giant star.
Its surface temperature is 25,000 K.

The hyperphysics calculator tells me a B class star with a mass of 16 solar masses has a maximum lifetime of around 10 million years.

SF Alba said:
(This is very vague and may offer no help but:) It has no lower than 40,000 G force, and no more than 2.7 Billion.

I have no idea what this means.
 
SF Alba said:
Hi. I couldn't find good information of this online, so I'll ask here.
I'm wondering what the maximum possible lifespan of a particular star.
Here's what is known of it:
It's a B class-blue giant star.
Its surface temperature is 25,000 K.
(This is very vague and may offer no help but:) It has no lower than 40,000 G force, and no more than 2.7 Billion.
The lifespan of a main sequence star is estimated based upon its mass, as follows:

Main Sequence Stellar Lifespan ≅ 1010 x M-2.5
​
Where M = Solar Masses

Based upon the information you provided, a spectral type B main sequence star with a effective surface temperature of 25,000°K, should have a mass somewhere between 12 and 13 M☉, which would give it a lifespan somewhere between 16.4 million and 20 million years.
​