What is the maximum lifespan of a B-class blue giant star?

• B
  • Thread starter SF Alba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    stars
In summary, the maximum lifespan of a B class-blue giant star with a surface temperature of 25,000 K is estimated to be around 10 million years, based on its mass. The information provided about 40,000 G force and 2.7 Billion is vague and does not offer any helpful insight. This estimation may vary depending on the actual mass of the star.
SF Alba
Hi. I couldn't find good information of this online, so I'll ask here.
I'm wondering what the maximum possible lifespan of a particular star.
Here's what is known of it:
It's a B class-blue giant star.
Its surface temperature is 25,000 K.
(This is very vague and may offer no help but:) It has no lower than 40,000 G force, and no more than 2.7 Billion.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
SF Alba said:

The hyperphysics calculator tells me a B class star with a mass of 16 solar masses has a maximum lifetime of around 10 million years.

SF Alba said:
(This is very vague and may offer no help but:) It has no lower than 40,000 G force, and no more than 2.7 Billion.

I have no idea what this means.

SF Alba said:
Hi. I couldn't find good information of this online, so I'll ask here.
The lifespan of a main sequence star is estimated based upon its mass, as follows:

Main Sequence Stellar Lifespan ≅ 1010 x M-2.5
Where M = Solar Masses

Based upon the information you provided, a spectral type B main sequence star with a effective surface temperature of 25,000°K, should have a mass somewhere between 12 and 13 M, which would give it a lifespan somewhere between 16.4 million and 20 million years.

20 million sounds about right.

Thanks you lot.

What is a blue giant?

A blue giant is a type of star that is characterized by its large size and high temperature. It is typically much bigger and hotter than our Sun, and appears blue in color due to its high surface temperature.

What is the lifespan of a blue giant?

The lifespan of a blue giant can vary greatly depending on its mass. On average, a blue giant star will have a lifespan of approximately 10 million years. However, some blue giants can have lifespans of up to 100 million years.

What happens at the end of a blue giant's lifespan?

At the end of its lifespan, a blue giant will run out of fuel and stop producing energy through nuclear fusion. It will then collapse in on itself, resulting in either a massive explosion known as a supernova or a slow fading into a white dwarf or neutron star.

Can a blue giant support life?

No, a blue giant is not capable of supporting life as we know it. The extreme temperatures and radiation of a blue giant would make it impossible for any known forms of life to exist on or near the star.

How do scientists determine the lifespan of a blue giant?

Scientists determine the lifespan of a blue giant by studying its mass, luminosity, and other characteristics. By using mathematical models and observing the behavior of other similar stars, scientists can estimate the lifespan of a blue giant with a reasonable degree of accuracy.