What is the Maximum Magnetic Field Under Overhead Power Lines?

In summary, to estimate the maximum magnetic field experienced when walking under overhead power lines, you need to find the current using the correct formula for power, and then use the formula B=mu0*I/2 pi r where r is the distance from the power lines to your location. Keep in mind that there are two lines with opposite currents, so a vector superposition will be necessary.
Angie K.

Homework Statement

You want to get an idea of the magnitude of magnetic fields produced by overhead power lines. You estimate that the two wires run about 30 m above the ground and about 2.9 m apart. A call to the local power company provides the information that the lines operate at 10 kV (rms) and provide a maximum of 44 MW to the local area. Estimate the maximum magnetic field you might experience walking under these power lines.

Homework Equations

B=mu0*I/2 pi r

The Attempt at a Solution

Would I be able to find the current from the given power and voltage?

Power = V^2/I where V is the voltage (10kV) and I is the unknown current and power is 44 MW

Then using that to find the magnetic field

B=mu0*I/2 pi r

and I'm not sure which value for r to use? Would it be 2.9m/2 because it's the radius I'm interested in?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Angie K. said:

Homework Statement

You want to get an idea of the magnitude of magnetic fields produced by overhead power lines. You estimate that the two wires run about 30 m above the ground and about 2.9 m apart. A call to the local power company provides the information that the lines operate at 10 kV (rms) and provide a maximum of 44 MW to the local area. Estimate the maximum magnetic field you might experience walking under these power lines.

Homework Equations

B=mu0*I/2 pi r

The Attempt at a Solution

Would I be able to find the current from the given power and voltage?

Power = V^2/I where V is the voltage (10kV) and I is the unknown current and power is 44 MW

The formula for the power is wrong.
Angie K. said:
Then using that to find the magnetic field

B=mu0*I/2 pi r

and I'm not sure which value for r to use? Would it be 2.9m/2 because it's the radius I'm interested in?

Thanks in advance!

You are interested in the magnetic field at your place, on the ground. How far are you from the power lines?

Remember you have 2 line with current traveling in opposite direction. There will need to be a vector superposition of the two lines' currents.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force field that is created by the movement of electrically charged particles. It is present around any object that has a magnetic field, including power lines.

2. How are magnetic fields created by power lines?

Power lines carry electricity, which is made up of charged particles. As the electricity moves through the power lines, it creates a magnetic field around the lines.

3. Are magnetic fields from power lines dangerous?

There is no conclusive evidence that the magnetic fields from power lines are harmful to human health. However, some studies have suggested a potential link between long-term exposure to high levels of magnetic fields and certain health effects.

4. How far away should I be from power lines to be safe from the magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field decreases rapidly with distance. Generally, there is no need to be concerned about the magnetic fields from power lines unless you are within a few feet of them.

5. Can I reduce my exposure to magnetic fields from power lines?

Yes, you can reduce your exposure to magnetic fields from power lines by limiting the time you spend near them and by increasing the distance between yourself and the power lines. Additionally, certain materials, such as concrete and metal, can shield against magnetic fields.