What is the minimum distance between two objects on perpendicular planes?

• Thread starter springo
  • Start date
In summary, the distance between the blocks is the length of the vector that describes their positions relative to each other, but I cannot find a way to get to that vector.
springo

Homework Statement

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/407/draw.th.png

Initially m and m' are at rest and at the same height. The planes are perpendicular. Find the minimal distance that separates m and m'.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well the distance that separates them is the length of the vector that describes m 's position relative to m'. But then I fail to find any idea on how to get to that vector.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
square root of (a cos (alpha)2 + a sin ( alpha) 2)

springo said:

Homework Statement

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/407/draw.th.png

Initially m and m' are at rest and at the same height. The planes are perpendicular. Find the minimal distance that separates m and m'.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well the distance that separates them is the length of the vector that describes m 's position relative to m'. But then I fail to find any idea on how to get to that vector.

Thanks for your help.

Make you origin at the intersection of the two planes; choose the y-axis along the line from O to m' and the x-axis along the line from O to m. Then m is located at
[tex] - a cos(\alpha) \mathbf{i} [/tex]

and m' is located at

[tex] a sin(\alpha) \mathbf{j} [/tex]

Then you can figure out the vector from m to m'.

I'm not sure how the previous post helps you since the a factors out and

[tex] sin^2(\alpha) + cos^2(\alpha) = 1 [/tex]

leaving you with something you already knew.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies.
I'm sorry, but I think I didn't explain myself correctly.
The thing is the boxes move down the slopes, so at some point either
- m hits O
- m' hits O
(whichever happens first)
So at that moment mm' has a certain length, say d. What I'm looking for is that length which probably is a function of α and a.

First of all find the component g along the inclined planes, and the lengths of the inclined planes. From the figure it is clear that m hits O first. From the component of g and the
length of the inclined plane, find time taken by m to reach O. Using this time find how much m' moves downward. Knowing the length of the inclined plane containing m', you can find the distance mm'.

rl.bhat said:
From the figure it is clear that m hits O first. From the component of g and the
length of the inclined plane, find time taken by m to reach O.
This is not the right way to solve this problem. First of all, one does not know which block hits O first since the angle \alpha is not specified.

To springo:

1. It does not matter which block hits O first.

2. Can you write and equation that describes the position of m (and hence, also m') as a function of time, t?

3. If you have expressions for the positions of m and m', then you should also be able to deduce an expression for the distance between m and m' as a function of t.

4. What is the last thing you need to do?

Well, I guess we could find the expressions of OM and OM' as a function of time using the acceleration or the speed and integrating. Let (O, i, j) be (O, uOM ,uOM')
OM = (a·cos(α) - (1/2)·g·sin(α)·t2) j
OM' = (a·sin(α) - (1/2)·g·cos(α)·t2) i
Is that what you suggested?

Thanks.

springo said:
Well, I guess we could find the expressions of OM and OM' as a function of time using the acceleration or the speed and integrating. Let (O, i, j) be (O, uOM ,uOM')
OM = (a·cos(α) - (1/2)·g·sin(α)·t2) j
OM' = (a·sin(α) - (1/2)·g·cos(α)·t2) i
Is that what you suggested?

Thanks.
Good. That's exactly correct so far.

Now, isn't there a very simple geometric rule you can use to find the distance (MM') between the two blocks?

PS: Alternatively, if you wish to stick with vectors, you can arrive at this same result by finding the vector MM' out of OM and OM' and then computing its magnitude.

Yeah, sure:
d2 = (a·sin(α) - (1/2)·g·cos(α)·t2)2 + (a·cos(α) - (1/2)·g·sin(α)·t2)2
d2 = a2 - a·g·sin(α)·cos(α)·t2 + (1/4)·g2·t4
I had written that down before, but since it wasn't leading me anywhere I thought something was wrong.

I have an extra factor of 2 on the middle term - can you check that?

Next up, you want to find the minimal value of d^2. The way you tackle that depends on whether or not you've had differential calculus. Have you?

If you have, what do you think you should do?

d2 = a2 - a·g·sin(2α)·t2 + (1/4)·g2·t4
OK, so since d > 0, the minimum value for d is also the minimum value for d2. So we could take the derivative of that.
d(d2)/dt = 2·a·g·sin(2α)·t + g2·t3
But then I get three roots, the interesting one leaves us with:
gt2 = 4·a·sin(α)·cos(α)
We replace in the first equation and simplify:
d2 = a2·cos2(2α)

d = a·cos(2α)

Is that it? Thanks!

Looks good.

But just for good form you may need to do one final thing to demonstrate that this is indeed a minimum and not a maximum (well, it's obviously not a maximum since acos(2alpha) < a, which was the initial separation, but it's good to develop the practice of identifying the type of optimal value). Do you know how you would do this?

The next derivative is f'' (so 2nd, which is even) and it's negative, so it's a maximum. Is that correct?
Thanks again!

1. What is the concept of "Two boxes on two slopes"?

"Two boxes on two slopes" is a classic physics problem in which two boxes of different masses are placed on two different slopes with different inclinations. The goal is to determine the acceleration and displacement of the boxes as they slide down the slopes due to the force of gravity.

2. How do you calculate the acceleration of the boxes in "Two boxes on two slopes"?

The acceleration of the boxes can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the net force is the force of gravity, and the acceleration can be found by dividing the net force by the mass of the box.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of the boxes in "Two boxes on two slopes"?

The acceleration of the boxes is affected by several factors, including the mass of the boxes, the angle of the slopes, and the force of gravity. The steeper the slope and the heavier the box, the greater the acceleration will be. The force of gravity, which is dependent on the mass of the objects and the acceleration due to gravity, also plays a significant role in determining the acceleration of the boxes.

4. How do you determine the displacement of the boxes in "Two boxes on two slopes"?

The displacement of the boxes can be calculated using the equation s = ut + 1/2at^2, where s is the displacement, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. In this problem, the initial velocity is typically assumed to be zero, so the equation simplifies to s = 1/2at^2.

5. What real-life applications can "Two boxes on two slopes" be used for?

The concept of "Two boxes on two slopes" is applicable to many real-life situations, such as understanding the motion of objects on inclined planes, calculating the movement of cars on hilly roads, and predicting the trajectory of projectiles. It is also useful in studying the laws of motion and how forces affect the movement of objects.