What is the minimum work needed to push a car

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
bosox3790
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
What is the minimum work needed to push a 1025 kg car 200 m up along a 17.5° incline?

(a) Ignore friction.
I got 604117.9512J
(b) Assume the effective coefficient of friction retarding the car is 0.40?
how do I get this one?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
for a) what does work do? What aspect of the car does it change? How do you calculate the work done then?
 
bosox3790 said:
Do I need to know Work in this case?
you can calculate work

work changes the energy
 
Use the work-energy theorem:
[tex]W= \Delta K + \Delta U + |W_{fric}|[/tex]
To find the minimum work, push the block slowly so that [tex]\Delta K=0[/tex]. In (a), W_fric = 0. What is W_fric in (b)?