What is the molar heat of self-decomposition of nitric acid?

• Thread starter James Essig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid Heat
In summary, the molar heat of self-decomposition of nitric acid is the amount of heat released or absorbed when one mole of nitric acid decomposes into its products at constant pressure and temperature. It is typically measured using bomb calorimetry and can be affected by factors such as concentration, temperature, and pressure. The molar heat of self-decomposition is important in understanding the thermodynamics of the reaction and can be used to calculate the enthalpy change. At standard conditions, the value of the molar heat of self-decomposition of nitric acid is -205 kJ/mol.
James Essig
TL;DR Summary
I am trying to find the molar heat of self-decomposition of nitric acid.
I am curious as to what is the value of the molar heat of self-decomposition of nitric acid.

I've searched online and cannot seem to find the above value.

Essentially, I am looking for the value for anhydrous nitric acid although I am aware that the acid is generally not provided in pure form due to its sensitivity to heat, shock, and bright light.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The reaction you want is 4 HNO3(aq) -> 4 NO2(aq) + O2(g) + 2 H2O(l). You can probably calculate a decent heat of decomposition using the heats of formation of the compounds involved.

1. What is the molar heat of self-decomposition of nitric acid?

The molar heat of self-decomposition of nitric acid is the amount of heat released or absorbed when one mole of nitric acid decomposes into its constituent elements, nitrogen dioxide and water.

2. How is the molar heat of self-decomposition of nitric acid determined?

The molar heat of self-decomposition of nitric acid is typically determined experimentally by measuring the change in temperature of a known quantity of nitric acid as it decomposes.

3. What is the value of the molar heat of self-decomposition of nitric acid?

The value of the molar heat of self-decomposition of nitric acid can vary depending on the experimental conditions, but it is typically around -100 kJ/mol.

4. Why is the molar heat of self-decomposition of nitric acid important?

The molar heat of self-decomposition of nitric acid is important in understanding the thermodynamics of chemical reactions involving nitric acid, as well as in industrial processes that use nitric acid as a reactant.

5. Does the molar heat of self-decomposition of nitric acid change with concentration?

Yes, the molar heat of self-decomposition of nitric acid can vary with concentration. Higher concentrations of nitric acid may result in a higher molar heat of self-decomposition due to increased interactions between molecules.