What is the Motivation for Publishing Scientific Research?

In summary, most researchers submit papers to journals in order to get their work published and have it impact the field. The pressure to publish is strong, and there is a lot of competition for papers.
Haldhad said:
Plus its a way of making money...

This is false: you do not get money from a publisher when they publish one of your articles (in fact, a lot of the time it is the other way around!).

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, someone necroposted an off-topic comment in an old thread!

Zz.

cristo said:
This is false: you do not get money from a publisher when they publish one of your articles (in fact, a lot of the time it is the other way around!).

I didn't say you did, but it is good advertising. For example if I have an idea and I want to sell it to a business, the question will arise as to what testing or review it has undergone, if I say in my shed with a bicycle tire and a 3 amp battery, they will laugh in my face. If I cite a journal reference they are more likely to be buying that it at least works in the lab or theory. In short publication lends credence to your ideas and ensures they are far more likely to be taken seriously by commercial enterprises. So one reason for publication is to make money out of an idea, not directly but by association with accredited standards. I thought the comment was more self evident than it was. Obviously not. Obviously something like a patent doesn't necesarilly mean anything works, just that it is your idea. If I got my idea for super efficient hull design published in a journal on fluid flow dynamics (physics or hull design) then it's going to be 10 x easier to market it.

Wierd I don't know how I stumbled on this thread but I did. If you're all that bothered lock it. I don't care, sincerely. The comment wasn't off topic btw either the topic is publication of ideas.

Last edited: