What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
skyshrimp said:
I woke up thirsty and hungover in the middle of the night and went to the fridge. I had some of the juicy peaches chilling in there.

I went back for seconds.

View attachment 229084

I prepared for such an event last week by leaving a pint of water next to my bed, unfortunately the hideously hot nights we have been having meant that by the time I came to grab it is was the wrong end of tepid. Horrible but I was desperate so drank it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: skyshrimp
Physics news on Phys.org
That girl at work I mentioned the other week keeps asking me to go on smoke breaks with her everyday so we can chat. I usually don't have smokes on me as I want to quit, so she gives me one of hers. She chain smokes and smokes 2 in a row. Guys stop her in the street and try to get her number all the time. She's very tall and thin. Like a Portuguese model.

Last week Thursday we went for a smoke as per usual. I had a box of ciggies too that morning, so I took loads of cigarettes out of mine and tried to put them in her box because she was really low. I was going to buy her a box the following day as well. She kept refusing and I said, "Just take them". She said "Why don't you take me out for a drink instead so we can celebrate". "Celebrate what?"
She said, "Life" and she started smiling and playing with my collar. Our work colleagues think we're in a relationship. She told me earlier that her and this other guy are just friends now (and not 'friends friends') and she was going out for a coffee with him that day and was nervous. The next day I didn't push for that drink. I suspected she wasn't really single but she says she is. She asked me if I wanted to get a coffee with her after work. Then she said they went to an Italian restaurant instead of a coffee. After the meal, he hugged her in the street and leaned in for a kiss. She said she really liked that kiss.
The following day, I was friendly, but I cooled things down a bit. She found me, smiled and opened her arms for a hug and I gave her one. There's this other girl at work who's a friend of hers. She came up to me and said, "Don't say anything, but she asked me earlier if something is up with you as apparently you've been acting strange towards her? She also asked if I mentioned her bf to you".

I wasn't acting strange at all. I kept our conversations work related. You can't chat a woman up if she has a boyfriend. She's pretending she hasn't got one but obviously has. So then she said, "You should stay away from her or you might end up getting into a punch up with him". Apparently he's also 6'4" and my build.

This week, she asked me if I could help her decorate one of the rooms in her flat.
"My 'friend' has given me money to buy the tools and paint. I don't want to waste his money if you're no good..."
Unbelievable. She might have offered me money afterwards but I wouldn't have taken it.

"Why don't you get him to paint?"
"He can't until Sunday and it will take days to do as I need to paint blue walls white, so it will need several coats. I also have plastering that needs sanding down. I don't want you to mess it up if you can't do it properly as it's cost him money"
The next day I told her I was busy this week and couldn't help.

She's stopped talking to me now :rolleyes:
 
Hey you. Stand back from that girl. Back away slowly, turn and run.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn and skyshrimp
pinball1970 said:
I prepared for such an event last week by leaving a pint of water next to my bed, unfortunately the hideously hot nights we have been having meant that by the time I came to grab it is was the wrong end of tepid. Horrible but I was desperate so drank it.

The hot nights have been dreadful! I'm glad the rain has come. I got through the summer by drinking copious amounts of frosty pints in the evenings o0)

I forgot to mention. That woman walked in where I was working and told me her heart was beating fast. No one else was there. She took my wrist, cupped my hand and pushed it against her boob nd held it there. She said, "Can you feel that?". Or another time in the summer heat, I was standing by the sink in the lunch room and we were alone again. She walked up to the sink and started pulling her top up. I looked away as it looked like she was taking her top off. She said, "You can look". I looked around and she had pulled her top half way up and tied a knot. Then she was sort of gyrating seductively in her tight jeans., putting on a little show for me?

lol. Crazy girl :cool: I won't say anything further as this is isn't the place.

I don't mind these games. Brightens my day tbh.
 
I keep making the " Flaw of Averages" mistake : Assuming things are going to happen as they do on Average. I see someone I know, think to myself: I will talk with him for 5 minutes, only to end up being unable to pull myself out of a 30+ minutes conversation.
 
When I ask a question and I get a technical answer on the forum: :DD

maJglzT.png


But you know; that's good. Because it prompts me to look and learn. :biggrin:
 
Attachments
  • maJglzT.png
    maJglzT.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 463
Something I really like about this community is that you can't just drop a statement here without backup. People immediately call you out on it and ask 'what's your proof?'. If only all communities worked as such :rolleyes:
 
nuuskur said:
Something I really like about this community is that you can't just drop a statement here without backup. People immediately call you out on it and ask 'what's your proof?'. If only all communities worked as such :rolleyes:
Yes. They like ( You to) to...Prove it, Prove it.
 
Here's another randomized thought...

You clean your teeth on the same room you poop.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: nuuskur
You wouldn't believe what I saw today in a supermarket. I was standing in the queue at self-checkout and a woman was standing in front of me on her phone with two items in her other hand. There was a staff member guiding customers in the queue to empty self-checkouts. He got to this woman and she carried on talking on her phone and gave her two items to him. He looked a bit puzzled and scanned them for her. Then he said, "It's £3,74", pointing to the LED display.

She carried on chatting on her phone, grabbed a handful of change out of her pocket and left her hand out for the guy to pick the £3.74 out of.

Really? o_0
 
skyshrimp said:
You wouldn't believe what I saw today in a supermarket. I was standing in the queue at self-checkout and a woman was standing in front of me on her phone with two items in her other hand. There was a staff member guiding customers in the queue to empty self-checkouts. He got to this woman and she carried on talking on her phone and gave her two items to him. He looked a bit puzzled and scanned them for her. Then he said, "It's £3,74", pointing to the LED display.

She carried on chatting on her phone, grabbed a handful of change out of her pocket and left her hand out for the guy to pick the £3.74 out of.

Really? o_0
£3,74 seems like a good prize for an LED display :).

I had a story somewhat similar to yours about your work. I met this lady in a coffee shop I hang out in and we became friends and talk from time to time. Just there, so no chance for any thing else. Recently she told me she was going to travel and asked that I keep her luggage for her, a very small one at that. Now, she had also been telling me her computer, phone, etc. were being hacked by a Blackhat hacker, which was, well, questionable for many reasons. I tried to avoid her since. I worry she may claim I lost or damage something of hers. So yesterday, failing to avoid her, I tried to arrange to ask her if I she could send me a text certifying that she was leaving the luggage with me, together with a phone pic of it. She was not able to, since her phone was not working for some reason or another. Now she is upset with me, it seems. I saw her just today and she told me she had found someone else to hold the luggage for her. I mumbled something about how I was sorry, to which she replied :" Whatever". Maybe I am too cautious. I mean, she could have drugs, stolen property there, may be deranged and accuse me of stealing the property, etc. I mean, I have only known her for a few months and just through casual conversations at that.
 
Last edited:
The actual programming for SAS, at least at a basic level, seemed workable. The nightmare seems to just be about importing and accessing data files -- within someone else's hard drive, it seems, and using a VM.
 
Psinter said:
Here's another randomized thought...

You clean your teeth on the same room you poop.
My obsession has been with making sure my toothbrush is clean. How do you do that? Just rinse it in the fawcett, after it has been in contact with (billions of?) bacteria in your mouth.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter
New disgusting public habit in grocery stores: to cool down, people pass their hands through places with ice in them, slide their hands through the ice cubes to cool themselves/ their hands down and don't bother to throw out the cubes they handle in the process.
 
Jura-3.jpg


Yesterday made 420 km just to shot some aerial views of the place. Fond childhood memories.
 
Attachments
  • Jura-3.jpg
    Jura-3.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 654
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter, OmCheeto and BillTre
I can't believe how inflexible I was in refusing to use a string with letters and digits 0-1 as a " Number".
I was asked many times for the order 'Number' and I could not find any such, but the string instead.
I gave in and entered DX3R-345A , etc. as a number. I am pretty sure I will, from now on, be excluded
from many Mathematics-related organizations. Hope they don't cancel my SA!
 
WWGD said:
I gave in and entered DX3R-345A , etc. as a number. I am pretty sure I will, from now on, be excluded
from many Mathematics-related organizations.
If you interpret the dash as a minus sign it could be a number in base 34 or higher?
 
Ibix said:
If you interpret the dash as a minus sign it could be a number in base 34 or higher?
Possibly. Is this an indirect way for you to ask if you can join me in the Autistic club?
 
Sorry if I was acting autistic-like, just joking about becoming so detached from the way most see and understand daily life. And I don't have the excuse of living in the ivory tower either :).
 
I like the current weeks. Whenever I want to know how late at night it is (roughly), I look out the window and watch where Mars is. Pretty good clock.
 
fresh_42 said:
I like the current weeks. Whenever I want to know how late at night it is (roughly), I look out the window and watch where Mars is. Pretty good clock.
They have clocks in Mars now? They'll ruin Mars with all the advertising. At least the (Mars) choco bars would make sense.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: nuuskur
WWGD said:
They have clocks in Mars now? They'll ruin Mars with all the advertising. At least the (Mars) choco bars would make sense.
Far too late. The Schottish already ruined it long ago:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHQJWRrZ6aVI0mL7TbJw8XnslkSFrh0XYhOTNEqhyghTlFhrBK.jpg

This is hot oil, and the cover is some fluid pastry.
 
Attachments
  • images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHQJWRrZ6aVI0mL7TbJw8XnslkSFrh0XYhOTNEqhyghTlFhrBK.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHQJWRrZ6aVI0mL7TbJw8XnslkSFrh0XYhOTNEqhyghTlFhrBK.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 736
fresh_42 said:
Far too late. The Schottish already ruined it long ago:
View attachment 229353
This is hot oil, and the cover is some fluid pastry.
Ah, yes, I just remembered I need to buy a plunger :).
 
Psinter said:
I like that.

Looks like a good place to live.

Depends on what one likes. Rural, with every positive and negative effect you can think of. Plus, while every village on the picture has electricity, there is no electricity in the house on the right (very long story), which makes living there a bit difficult (for us, lazy twenty first centurers).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter and edward
Borek said:
Depends on what one likes. Rural, with every positive and negative effect you can think of. Plus, while every village on the picture has electricity, there is no electricity in the house on the right (very long story), which makes living there a bit difficult (for us, lazy twenty first centurers).
Good place to go if a big CME will occur! :cool:
 
Borek said:
Depends on what one likes. Rural, with every positive and negative effect you can think of. Plus, while every village on the picture has electricity, there is no electricity in the house on the right (very long story), which makes living there a bit difficult (for us, lazy twenty first centurers).
Yes, it seems like nowadays too many people want to have it both ways --rural peace and isolation with all modern comforts -- and end up running into the fact that this is not feasible in many if not most places. They'll move to rural places, start demanding internet access, cable, etc. and finding out that they have to do an extense amount of work, effort, to have access to it ( or even electricity itself, as in Borek's case).
 
fresh_42 said:
Good place to go if a big CME will occur! :cool:
The SAA is against CME.