What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 756K views
Ibix said:
Unfortunately, the time required for the complete proof ("SEVEN AND A HALF..." "Not till the middle of next week?!" "...MILLION YEARS") may prove problematic.
This comes if people only calculate on May 25th and do nothing the rest of the year.

Btw., get your towel ready on March 29th :biggrin:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
Btw., get your towel ready on March 29th :biggrin:
I wish I thought a towel would help. I wish I thought my government had even got a towel.
 
Ibix said:
I wish I thought a towel would help. I wish I thought my government had even got a towel.
I can't help to think: It is so senseless. Nobody gains anything. The only significant difference I see is, that the monetary share won't be redistributed by the EU but then by the UK, if in a better way may be doubted. I don't get it.
 
fresh_42 said:
Nobody gains anything.
If you have money (like the architects of Brexit) you will be able to gain quite a lot by playing the markets, I think.

We shouldn't be discussing politics here, I think. And I'm liable to say something intemperate and get deleted...
 
Ibix said:
We shouldn't be discussing politics here, I think.
Yeah, but it's a pity. Firstly, because it is hard not to think about it these days, at least if news are part of one's tv habits. Secondly, I've seen such a hilarious video clip of two men talking at the loo about: UK - GB - GB and NI - the various championships in sports, where they take part as England etc., or GB without mention NI, etc. until the rugby constellation IRFU and a pointy remark at the end: "... and where do they want to go then? Asia?" It was brilliant. My only comment had been: "The sad thing is, I understood it." But it was really funny.
 
Hey, playing full Nirvana album at Starbucks on a cold, rainy day. Why not offer to play Russian Roulette with a doppio? I get the Seattle connection, but it goes beyond that... And nit seems nobody ever plays music from this century any more. Maybe because young people have no money and so no one caters to them?
 
WWGD said:
Hey, playing full Nirvana album at Starbucks on a cold, rainy day.
"Smells like soy latte"

With the Starbucks, it's expensive
Here we are now, caffeinate us
I feel shaky and wired up
Here we are now, caffeinate us
A machiato, a latte, a mocha, my espresso
Yeah, hey
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Ibix said:
"Smells like soy latte"

With the Starbucks, it's expensive
Here we are now, caffeinate us
I feel shaky and wired up
Here we are now, caffeinate us
A machiato, a latte, a mocha, my espresso
Yeah, hey
...I am not going to cry ( for the $5 latte) . But you can stay in for hours .
 
There is this bookstore "Four Minute Books" (Munich, I think). Either: Books to be read in 4 minutes or ... They only have four very small (minute) books? EDIT: I have many so many stupid jokes of this sort that I am starting to really havie trouble seeing which is which.
 
Last edited:
WWGD said:
There is this bookstore "Four Minute Books" (Munich, I think). Either: Books to be read in 4 minutes or ... They only have four very small (minute) books? EDIT: I have many so many stupid jokes of this sort that I am starting to really havie trouble seeing which is which.
Isn't a four-minute book one that subtends an angle of ##\frac{1}{15}## of a degree?
 
DrGreg said:
Isn't a four-minute book one that subtends an angle of ##\frac{1}{15}## of a degree?
You should join me in my act: 4-syllable * and 3-syllable repeat with ambiguous dialog. I got loads ( of boos and kicks) in the subway!

He came from Euro-pa Pa-Pa Patrick!
 
Do you want to tune a fish sandwich? How do you tune a fish sandwich ? ( do you want a tuna fish sandwich).
 
In case someone thinks jokes here, I found some use for mine. This acquaintance saw me while I was working. We talked for a while, which was fine, I enjoyed it. But then he started taking more and more time and I needed to get some work done. A few jokes on tunning fish sandwiches ##^{TM}## and others and he suddenly had to leave. You're welcome :).
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
They announced the train stations additionally in English. I still don't get it: the most spoken foreign language has definitely been Arabic.
 
fresh_42 said:
They announced the train stations additionally in English. I still don't get it: the most spoken foreign language has definitely been Arabic.
Then maybe you are not at the Trans-Europa Express?
 
fresh_42 said:
More on a Trans-City-Express.
Trans-city? Stadt der Transvestites? Nein Europa Express!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
WWGD said:
Stadt der Transvestites?
Nope. I'm sure there are, but in combination with Arabic not so much. There once had been a Trans-Europe-Express ('57-'87). It was very famous among backpackers.

hqdefault.jpg


 
Attachments
  • hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 598
fresh_42 said:
Nope. I'm sure there are, but in combination with Arabic not so much. There once had been a Trans-Europe-Express ('57-'87). It was very famous among backpackers.

View attachment 237455


Ah, the first ones doing techno.
 
Kind of strange to talk with a(n) female phone rep. only to find out by email that it is a man. The more you know... the more confused you end up.
 
Sucks how people explain technical terms using reserved words as unreserved and viceversa. After 10 minutes reading something about Python, I figured 'dictionary' was used more as glossary than the actual data structure. But I admit it is tricky and I am , have been, guilty of it.
 
What are the chances the conference finals are manipulated?

The referees have stolen the Saints their win, obvious to actually everybody. Now they've stolen the Patriots a new first in their fourth. Very strange. Good I don't bet. It would drive me mad.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
fresh_42 said:
What are the chances the conference finals are manipulated?

The referees have stolen the Saints their win, obvious to actually everybody. Now they've stolen the Patriots a new first in their fourth. Very strange. Good I don't bet. It would drive me mad.
I just want to operate a Pizza store open during Super Bowl day. Some 30%+ of sales happen then.
 
You know that thing where you see someone coming and you go right and they go left and you're still going to collide? I've just watched two guys, one staring at his smartphone and one dual wielding smartphones and staring at both of them, doing this. They iterated it four times before the synchronicity broke. Neither looked up even once.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
Ibix said:
You know that thing where you see someone coming and you go right and they go left and you're still going to collide?
It's called an indicisajig.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
Ibix said:
And when prompted by mobile phone use, the indeviceajig.
That's just a plain old zombie apocalypse. :oldtongue:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix and Bystander
I took the day off yesterday but Monday decided that it wouldn't be denied. :oldruck:
 
Just read about this guy who has a B.S degree in Puppetry. If he advances, goes further into it, he may end up with a Masters...A Master of Puppets.
I have the impression that was not the intended reference for Metallica's song.
 
Wow, another weird one: I am walking on the sidewalk about to enter a coffee shop. There is this (supposedly) homeless guy sitting on the sidewalk. He says something. I , distractedly, mumble something. He yells some insult and spits, as in disgust. I order something at the coffee shop, and, out of curiosity go back out. Then the guy is receiving a large order from an Italian restaurant, taking it to his car...and driving away?