What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #6,546
Where are you? The temperature here dropped 30 degrees, and rain.
Winter seems to have arrived. Ahh well, this too shall pass.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #6,547
Tom.G said:
Where are you? The temperature here dropped 30 degrees, and rain.
Winter seems to have arrived. Ahh well, this too shall pass.
I'm in Kansas and today I am wearing shorts, a tank top and flip flops, it's 76F and SUNNY. I have the fan on inside because I don't want to run the air conditioner, but I might have to tonight, the low is only going to be in the mid 60's, and after a very warm day, it just won't get cool enough inside for me to sleep.

Likes collinsmark and Tom.G
  • #6,548
I saw for the first time a Rolls Royce today, not in an exhibition, a tv show or an auto saloon. It was a regular car on the streets.

• #6,549
fresh_42 said:
I saw for the first time a Rolls Royce today, not in an exhibition, a tv show or an auto saloon. It was a regular car on the streets.
You mean first time in your life?

• #6,550
fresh_42 said:
You've obviously never lived near Kensington...

• #6,551
Are they " regular" cars for every day use ir just " hangout" cars?

• #6,552
WWGD said:
Are they " regular" cars for every day use ir just " hangout" cars?
In Kensington? Some of them have a work-a-day Rolls and a Sunday best Rolls, I suspect.

Likes WWGD
  • #6,553
Ibix said:
In Kensington? Some of them have a work-a-day Rolls and a Sunday best Rolls, I suspect.
Me, I max at Cinnamon Rolls.
(Setup for a failed Python skit)

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary
  • #6,554
The reason I hung around Kensington was that I did my PhD at Imperial College, which is there. Not a cheap area, but IC Student Union negotiated 10% discounts for ICSU card holders in a lot of local places. According to legend, this included the car showroom that sold Lamborghinis, Porschesn etc...

• #6,555
fresh_42 said:
Did you ask or did they ask you for Grey Poupon?

• #6,556
Ibix said:
The reason I hung around Kensington was that I did my PhD at Imperial College, which is there. Not a cheap area, but IC Student Union negotiated 10% discounts for ICSU card holders in a lot of local places. According to legend, this included the car showroom that sold Lamborghinis, Porschesn etc...
Not many fish and chips places, I gather.

• #6,557
Big ass car, eh ? Like, huge. I've seen a couple (and Bentleys). Can't imagine owning one : even if you could pick up a used one cheap (which is definitely possible), maintenance and insurance would kill.

• #6,558
It's Friday.
It's 13th.
I have a black cat and I'm not afraid to ... make it purr :cool:

• #6,559
Her: "It is Friday, 13th, but due to Covid the bars are all closed, so nothing bad can happen."
Him; "See."

• #6,560
Rive said:
It's Friday.
It's 13th.
I have a black cat and I'm not afraid to ... make it purr :cool:
Strangely, in other countries the dreaded date is Tuesday the 13th , not Fridays.

• #6,561
WWGD said:
Strangely, in other countries the dreaded date is Tuesday the 13th , not Fridays.
Wimps! Fridays 13th are more often.

• #6,562
fresh_42 said:
Of course, that would be because of the extra leap-Friday added to make 52 weeks exactly in a year (and 2 during leap years).

• #6,563
hmmm27 said:
Of course, that would be because of the extra leap-Friday added to make 52 weeks exactly in a year (and 2 during leap years).
No. It's because of the initial condition of the Gregorian calendar.

• #6,564
fresh_42 said:
No. It's because of the initial condition of the Gregorian calendar.
Which is? Did it leave its house at 10 mi/h?

• #6,565
fresh_42 said:
Wonder if the chain of restaurants TGIF will add an asterisk to its name : TGIF*

* Except if it is the 13th.

• #6,566
Wonder if there is a " Solar Bear" club , the Summer version of the Polar Bear club , of people who jump into ice-cold water. Then a " Solar Bear" would wear heavy coats and drink hot chocolate and eat salty potato chips in Summer.

Likes Bystander
  • #6,567
Google translator is great ( and free!) but for more than a line or two it makes every translation seem like a quatraine from Nostradamus.

• #6,568
For category theorists: Is coconut equivalent to nut? Any functor between them?

• #6,569
Isn't the name " Noelle" self-contradictory ( No-L). ? It contains two L's. Maybe it should be switched for something like " Wannel" ( One L).

• #6,570
Misunderstanding?
I played Sugar Ray's song " I Just Wanna Fly", and now my house is full of flies. Coincidence?

• #6,572
Hmmmm, I call it tea...

1606932469407.png

Likes hmmm27
  • #6,573
My girlfriend wants a $500 hair straightener for Christmas.

$500?

I was thinking a George Foreman Grill would work just as well and it only cost a fraction of the price.

• #6,574
Ivan Seeking said:
hair straightener
ith%2Ba%2Bclothes%2Biron%252C%2B1960%2B%25284%2529.jpg

Likes Ivan Seeking
  • #6,575
  • #6,576
My first 'paid' work in electronics was to mount an https://cdn.cpu-world.com/CPUs/80386/S_AMD-NG80386DX-40.jpg chip onto a mainboard with damaged socket (some of those were with both socket and place for the flat chip).
Honestly, I was anything but well prepared. It took almost a day, with equipment I would not dare to use for soldering even a cable these days. But at the end it worked and I was always proud of my patience.

Then I've found this yesterday:
patience.jpg

There is always a higher mountain...:cry:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes DaveE and Ibix
  • #6,577
Looks like some kind of cyborg jellyfish.

Let me guess - this is the work of some over-clocker who's trying to cool the chip by airflow on both sides?

• #6,578
Honi soit qui mal y pense!

Arizona State University has removed its SIR calculator. At least the link doesn't work anymore.

Last edited:
  • #6,579
MS Edge sucks. :headbang:

• Wow
Likes BillTre
  • #6,580
dlgoff said:
MS Edge sucks. :headbang:

Why?