What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 759K views
WWGD said:
" I have time to kill"

Let me start running just in case. Maybe you can be less ambiguous?
There's a rather surreal Star Trek novel where they briefly meet the Time Being, who turns out to be rather blubbery and unfit, on account of never doing anything because of all the people who do things for the time being.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Physics news on Phys.org
Highest drink temperature you're allowed to ask for at @Sbux is 190 degrees. Seems cup will be too hot to handle.
 
Wonder if it makes sense to put food on fridge when there are 4+ consecutive days with temperature below 30 deg. Actually warming them up putting them on the fridge.
 
fresh_42 said:
Koala bogu for the internet. In the olden days, I used to have to actually dissect delicious meals, in person, to figure out what was in them.

2019.12.19.doner.kebab.pdx.png


This is much too easy.

ps. I've never heard of "odd potato chips" before. hmmmm...
 
OmCheeto said:
Koala bogu for the internet. In the olden days, I used to have to actually dissect delicious meals, in person, to figure out what was in them.

View attachment 254372

This is much too easy.

ps. I've never heard of "odd potato chips" before. hmmmm...
My guess is they give you 1,3,5,..., 2n+1,... chips?
 
OmCheeto said:
I've never heard of "odd potato chips" before.
They are the alternative to Wenceslas chips which are deep and crisp and even.
 
Whatever it is, it's making hungry. Looks pretty tasty. Edit: Closest to that I can think of is Chipotles.
@fresh_42 Du hast Chipotles auf Deutschland?
 
Yes, necessity is the mother of invention, but who's the father?
 
WWGD said:
Yes, necessity is the mother of invention, but who's the father?

Frank Zappa of course.


Where do think dental floss came from?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD and Klystron
WWGD said:
Chipotles
Not that I knew of. Germany is a bit underdeveloped regarding mexican food. There are some mexican restaurants but I don't think big chains. I know that my NM friend has trouble to find the chilis here she is used to. It's easier to get asian food.
 
Mmm, Mexican meal. Mine arrives in a few minutes from the local Lindo Michoacan. Bon appetite.
 
BillTre said:
Frank Zappa of course.


Where do think dental floss came from?

So it's Dweezil, Moon Unit and Necessity?
 
fresh_42 said:
Not that I knew of. Germany is a bit underdeveloped regarding mexican food. There are some mexican restaurants but I don't think big chains. I know that my NM friend has trouble to find the chilis here she is used to. It's easier to get asian food.
New Mexican friend is a bit ambiguous. Maybe my new New Mexican friend?
 
fresh_42 said:
But NM is not!
Overdoing Esspressokeit Freshmeister? Orale! Edit : @Klystron : enjoy 2x Dos Equis.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
New New Mexican would have been wrong. She is an interesting person: born here, grown up in NM, and now here again. which is why she's still alive (costly health issues).
 
Last edited:
I am clearly not a fashion follower nor policeman but sweat pants with high heals seems strange. Same for the "Stressed Out" look : men in tights with shorts on top, and sometimes a bun to go along.
 
WWGD said:
I am clearly not a fashion follower nor policeman but sweat pants with high heals seems strange. Same for the "Stressed Out" look : men in tights with shorts on top, and sometimes a bun to go along.
Depends on the city you're in. I wouldn't even recognize in NY or London ...
 
fresh_42 said:
Depends on the city you're in. I wouldn't even recognize in NY or London ...
How about high heels, sweats, undershirt and gold chain, calling people 'Love'. Yes, 'Love'... Maybe a "Chav". Maybe @Ibix can tell us if this is their fashion?
 
British male fashion can still pretty much be defined as "whatever doesn't make me look gay", somewhat depressingly. There are exceptions, but high heels on a man is unusual. "Love" is a regional thing. Some areas seem to use it as a generic form of address for someone you don't know, where most of us would use "mate" or "dude" or something.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
People are sheep.

The latest hype here is that stores abolished their plastic bags. Why? Plastic in the oceans? We recycle plastic and the rest is burned. And I reused them anyway. We don't have wild trash depots where plastic gets spread by wind. "But you have microplastics in wild waters, too!" Yes, we have. But this isn't from carry away bags. It is from polyester in clothes, from the enormous amount of rubber in the streets. But, hey, plastic bags are the evil. Here comes the highlight: What do stores use instead? They offer stronger, more expensive, and hence reusable bags ... made of? Of course, polyester and nylon! This creates microplastic by usage! The old one-way bags did not. They had no surface which supported abrasion. But, hey, everybody feels fine that there are "no plastic bags" anymore!? Nobody seems to think to the end anymore.
 
fresh_42 said:
People are sheep.

The latest hype here is that stores abolished their plastic bags. Why? Plastic in the oceans? We recycle plastic and the rest is burned. And I reused them anyway. We don't have wild trash depots where plastic gets spread by wind. "But you have microplastics in wild waters, too!" Yes, we have. But this isn't from carry away bags. It is from polyester in clothes, from the enormous amount of rubber in the streets. But, hey, plastic bags are the evil. Here comes the highlight: What do stores use instead? They offer stronger, more expensive, and hence reusable bags ... made of? Of course, polyester and nylon! This creates microplastic by usage! The old one-way bags did not. They had no surface which supported abrasion. But, hey, everybody feels fine that there are "no plastic bags" anymore!? Nobody seems to think to the end anymore.
Other places want to ban plastic straws, which are a micro amount of total waste and of plastic waste.
 
WWGD said:
Other places want to ban plastic straws, which are a micro amount of total waste and of plastic waste.
Here is another holy cow:
https://phys.org/news/2019-12-high-carbon-footprint-families-sweets.html

Today I saw on tv a haute cuisine bakery. They produced high level lactose-free, gluten-free, nuts-free desserts. I only waited for sugar-free on the list. It always reminds me of (first 30 sec):

 
fresh_42 said:
Merry Christmas!

Danke, but problem now is knowing which places are open and when. You go to your usual coffee shop, market and find it possibly closed. It's a confusing week!
 
Now even the Powershell wants elevation after the admin command prompt disappeared from the menu/searchbox ; only" standard" cmd.
 
Xmas eve baking, 40 year old Kitchenaid craps out, Walmart to the rescue with shiny, new, with grounded plug; total elapsed time, <1/2 hour.
 
More parsing confusion:

"What about Richard Starky"

"Didn't know Richard had a Tarkey". "What is a Tarkey?"
 
I guess they, at least he, started the count on the rings at 0, right? He is ring0 after all.