What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 13,926
- 16,804
Interesting fact - a roast dinner can be cooked with a watch and a spreadsheet. And an oven and stuff, obviously. But if you write a list of what needs to be cooked, how long it should take (Google is your friend), specify a target time, muck around with formulae a bit, and sort, you have a to-do list with time stamps. The rest turns out to be pretty much purely mechanical.
One of my greatest culinary triumphs - and I owe it all to my mad spreadsheet skillz...
One of my greatest culinary triumphs - and I owe it all to my mad spreadsheet skillz...
Last edited:
- 13,926
- 16,804
Mentors are fast, even at Christmas. I reported an obvious status spam, replied to the status with a bit of snark, edited it a bit to express the depth of my disgust for spammers (I'm an armchair warrior when drunk, sue me) but the spam had gone while I was editing. Nicely done, whoever it was...
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
EDIT: Microwaving is faster :) (For those like myself unable to cook far beyond eggs). Some of these microwave dinners are tasty-enough that I don't see any use inIbix said:Interesting fact - a roast dinner can be cooked with a watch and a spreadsheet. And an oven and stuff, obviously. But if you write a list of what needs to be cooked, how long it should take (Google is your friend), specify a target time, muck around with formulae a bit, and sort, you have a to-do list with time stamps. The rest turns out to be pretty much purely mechanical.
One of my greatest culinary triumphs - and I owe it all to my mad spreadsheet skillz...![]()
my trying to cook better; I will never reach a similar level of skill.
Last edited:
Science Advisor
- 3,381
- 2,936
That makes two of us.Ibix said:(I'm an armchair warrior when drunk, sue me)...
I have a random thought that somebody has to be (will be) (slightly) drunk if still online at Christmas night.
Maybe I'm wrong. But I'm also (slightly) drunk and listening to some (not so interesting) music without volume limit at 23pm.
- 13,926
- 16,804
Merry Christmas, all.
OCR
- 996
- 936
- 20,819
- 28,467
I have observed that interviews e.g. with sportsmen changed in the last decades. People don't use me and I anymore. They use either we and us or mainly one as pronouns. One is much more common in German than it is in English. I assume it corresponds to the third person version you refer to. "Why did you lose the race?" - "One wasn't able to find the right fine tuning." As if some unknowns did a bad job. Heck, you were just too slow! You haven't found the fine tuning, not the crew. "One will see." Who is that one? I won't, if you continue to shift responsibilities!WWGD said:I have always been curious about those who refer to themselves inthe third person, e.g. 'Bob' talking about himself as " Bob has a masters in literature and likes to swim". Strange.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Likely the case. Wwgd agrees with you ;).fresh_42 said:I have observed that interviews e.g. with sportsmen changed in the last decades. People don't use me and I anymore. They use either we and us or mainly one as pronouns. One is much more common in German than it is in English. I assume it corresponds to the third person version you refer to. "Why did you lose the race?" - "One wasn't able to find the right fine tuning." As if some unknowns did a bad job. Heck, you were just too slow! You haven't found the fine tuning, not the crew. "One will see." Who is that one? I won't, if you continue to shift responsibilities!
- 20,819
- 28,467
The pronoun "man" is more common than the pronoun "one" is in English. It is approximately the same, i.e. used similar, however, it's a bit different. "One" sounds closer to "someone" whereas "man" is closer to "human", i.e. "anyone". A typical sentence would be: "Man kann nicht sicher sein." (= One cannot be sure.)WWGD said:Fresheimer, not sure if I understood, you mean it is also common in Germany?
It is neither wrong nor a bad style to use it in cases where the third person singular isn't specified. In English I would probably use "you" more often in such cases: "You cannot be sure." does not really specify you as a person, rather "you=one" as any person. In this sense "man" is more common.
But to use it as a synonym for "I" is ridiculous and bad style. And it's frequently used in interviews if people speak about themselves. They refer to themselves as "man". I hate it. And the only reason I see is, that they create distance between them as a person and that what they did or did not. "Man hatte kein Halt auf dem Feld." (= One hasn't grip on the pitch.) ***, you idiot had the wrong shoes, that's all. Don't blame the weather and do not speak of a third person "man", if you want to cover your own stupidity.
"Man sieht sich!" (= See you!) is another example. It could mean anything, from "I hope to see you again" to "I hope to cross the street in time next time I see you coming". It's non-binding. Stick it where ...
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I always thought the whole "See you" , specially See You next time"? What next time. You mean see you... next time I see you? Maybe we should seek for universal acceptance of variants of "Hasta la Vista" ~ "Auf Wiedersen".fresh_42 said:The pronoun "man" is more common than the pronoun "one" is in English. It is approximately the same, i.e. used similar, however, it's a bit different. "One" sounds closer to "someone" whereas "man" is closer to "human", i.e. "anyone". A typical sentence would be: "Man kann nicht sicher sein." (= One cannot be sure.)
It is neither wrong nor a bad style to use it in cases where the third person singular isn't specified. In English I would probably use "you" more often in such cases: "You cannot be sure." does not really specify you as a person, rather "you=one" as any person. In this sense "man" is more common.
But to use it as a synonym for "I" is ridiculous and bad style. And it's frequently used in interviews if people speak about themselves. They refer to themselves as "man". I hate it. And the only reason I see is, that they create distance between them as a person and that what they did or did not. "Man hatte kein Halt auf dem Feld." (= One hasn't grip on the pitch.) ***, you idiot had the wrong shoes, that's all. Don't blame the weather and do not speak of a third person "man", if you want to cover your own stupidity.
"Man sieht sich!" (= See you!) is another example. It could mean anything, from "I hope to see you again" to "I hope to cross the street in time next time I see you coming". It's non-binding. Stick it where ...
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 587
- 329
fresh_42 said:I have observed that interviews e.g. with sportsmen changed in the last decades. People don't use me and I anymore. They use either we and us or mainly one as pronouns. One is much more common in German than it is in English. I assume it corresponds to the third person version you refer to. "Why did you lose the race?" - "One wasn't able to find the right fine tuning." As if some unknowns did a bad job. Heck, you were just too slow! You haven't found the fine tuning, not the crew. "One will see." Who is that one? I won't, if you continue to shift responsibilities!
I gather you're talking about German speakers, but this sounds a lot like how the French use "on" which is literally translated as "one" but is used in many situations where in English we would use "you" or "we".
- 20,819
- 28,467
The pronoun "man" makes the difference. Both just mean cu. But with "man" it becomes a sentence, however, one without a specific subject. Not the best of my examples. The other one was better:WWGD said:I always thought the whole "See you" , specially See You next time"? What next time. You mean see you... next time I see you? Maybe we should seek for universal acceptance of variants of "Hasta la Vista" ~ "Auf Wiedersen".
Man kann nicht sicher sein = (lit.) One cannot be sure = (vulg.) You cannot be sure.
In this case the use of "you" doesn't refer to a specific person as "man" doesn't. But who actually uses "one"?
- 20,819
- 28,467
Yes. And to use "on" instead of "je" is ridiculous.RPinPA said:I gather you're talking about German speakers, but this sounds a lot like how the French use "on" which is literally translated as "one" but is used in many situations where in English we would use "you" or "we".
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
I'm shucking pecans for my world famous fruit cake, which I guess should really be called Pecan cake. EVERYONE loves it. It's not my recipe, it's Mrs Harvey's White Fruitcake, my VP at AT&T told me she hated fruitcake, but mine didn't look bad, so she tried a piece, so she came over to tell me this was the ONLY Fruitcake she EVER liked. You can replace all or some of the cherries and pineapple with dried cranberries, apricots, dates, apples, etc... I am experimenting.
https://www.cooks.com/recipe/h02ng8bj/mrs-harveys-white-fruitcake.html
I have shucked pecans since I was a small child, it was something you did in the south in the fall and it was a source of enjoyment. Having my own set of nut crackers and nut picks when I got married was one of my greatest joys.
Now I think I may have been nuts as I sit here cracking and sorting and cracking and sorting.
https://www.cooks.com/recipe/h02ng8bj/mrs-harveys-white-fruitcake.html
I have shucked pecans since I was a small child, it was something you did in the south in the fall and it was a source of enjoyment. Having my own set of nut crackers and nut picks when I got married was one of my greatest joys.
Now I think I may have been nuts as I sit here cracking and sorting and cracking and sorting.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
If those upset you, I agree. Another one I saw today , a classic I think, almost got someone a punch:fresh_42 said:Yes. And to use "on" instead of "je" is ridiculous.
Anxious person:" I lost my phone!?"
Idiot: "Where did you lose it?"
With insults from anxious person: If I knew where it was it would not be !#%@ lost!
Science Advisor
- 3,638
- 1,014
Just what I had been going to say. School French lessons (they go all through of course the first second and third person singular and plural verbs) had not prepared me for the relative rareness in speech of the first person plural - it seems to me you will rather rarely hear "nous pensions que..." or "nous avons l'habitude" but rather "nous, on pense que..." or "nous, on a l'habitude"RPinPA said:I gather you're talking about German speakers, but this sounds a lot like how the French use "on" which is literally translated as "one" but is used in many situations where in English we would use "you" or "we".
Science Advisor
- 3,638
- 1,014
WWGD said:I have been having this slip of saying "The World will end inna few days", instead of "The year will end in a few days". I noticed after getting a few strange looks, though many just assented and went on.
Maybe they thought they had better economise their time.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I heard that if they realize they're wrong about the passenger being disabled they send a crew to beat the #$% out of him, to have plausible deniability: He seemed disabled. We did what we could. Edit: But good point, kind of scary that Google knew.Klystron said:This true anecdote is for @WWGD:
While driving on the local loop freeway that circles our fair valley, Google navigation informed me of a disabled vehicle up ahead. How, I wondered, did Google know the driver was disabled?
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2