What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 759K views
lavinia said:
Like in a Stephen King movie. The few slowly rolling vehicles are steered by ghosts who will continue down the road until they run out of gas.
I never run out of gas. Maybe that's why I have trouble keeping roomates ;). Cheesy double-meaning.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
lavinia said:
Like in a Stephen King movie.
Wish it was just a movie ...:oldcry:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
@Greg Bernhardt You're my hero ... "The Man". I can't imagine the hours you've spent making this forum great.

Thank You Sir
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary, Klystron, Greg Bernhardt and 1 other person
dlgoff said:
@Greg Bernhardt You're my hero ... "The Man". I can't imagine the hours you've spent making this forum great.

Thank You Sir
I stand on the shoulders of giants (mentors, advisors, members)
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary, dlgoff, Borg and 1 other person
Journalists said the professor had a bloody saw. But maybe it was British journalists. Je had a bloody saw. How would they say it: He had a bloody bloody saw?
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary
WWGD said:
Journalists said the professor had a bloody saw. But maybe it was British journalists. Je had a bloody saw. How would they say it: He had a bloody bloody saw?
I saw Saw but I didn't see Saw 2
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and Klystron
lavinia said:
I saw Saw but I didn't see Saw 2
You saw saw the bloody bloody saw?
 
Not too bright of a thing to do. New comedian making political jokes. Lost half the potential audience. Stay out of politics until you're successful. I prefer to separate the two unless you're with people you agree with.
 
fresh_42 said:
Don't forget: These are the good old days of tomorrow!
I will proudly tell my grandsons I saved the world by sitting on my ass all day watching TV and eating chips. I deserve a medal for bravery.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: lavinia, Keith_McClary and fresh_42
Is there a reason why you use the same word patient in two different contexts? Ok, you have to be patient as a patient nowadays, but this is a thin explanation.
 
fresh_42 said:
Is there a reason why you use the same word patient in two different contexts? Ok, you have to be patient as a patient nowadays, but this is a thin explanation.
Online etymology suggests that patience has always been attribute of a patient -- suffering in silence. I see no reason to disagree.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary
Name for a new mice trap: The demise of de mice.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
fresh_42 said:
Is there a reason why you use the same word patient in two different contexts? Ok, you have to be patient as a patient nowadays, but this is a thin explanation.
The demise of de mice. Same thing.
 
WWGD said:
The demise of de mice. Same thing.

Five men in a car are commuting to work and are driving through the Lincoln tunnel. Their tongues are hanging out, Their eyes are bulging. Their heads are hanging out of the window.They are ripping their shirts open. They are yanking convulsively on their ties. They are clutching the roof of the car.

It was diagnosed as Carpool Tunnel Syndrome
 
Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
WWGD said:
The demise of de mice. Same thing.

To my Swiss friend Michele, whose native language is French, the words "garbage" and "cabbage" in English sound exactly the same. In French the words "fossils" and "faux cils" sound exactly the same to me.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
lavinia said:
To my Swiss friend Michele, whose native language is French, the words "garbage" and "cabbage" in English sound exactly the same. In French the words "fossils" and "faux cils" sound exactly the same to me.
Combining both languages, she can sho(w) the cabbage is chaud.
 
Un oeuf is enough.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron, Bystander and lavinia
sho
WWGD said:
Combining both languages, she can sho(w) the cabbage is chaud.
Sho an oeuf
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
Corvid.jpg
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: SammyS, BillTre and Keith_McClary
We have a phrase here to answer someone who told you something completely irrelevant, not of any interest or boring: "That interests me about as much as if a sack of rice falls over in China."

Can someone please remind me, to run and buy: sanitizers, one way gloves, FFP3 masks, toilet paper, paper towels, canned food, and pasta if in China falls a sack of rice again.
 
fresh_42 said:
We have a phrase here to answer someone who told you something completely irrelevant, not of any interest or boring: "That interests me about as much as if a sack of rice falls over in China."

Can someone please remind me, to run and buy: sanitizers, one way gloves, FFP3 masks, toilet paper, paper towels, canned food, and pasta if in China falls a sack of rice again.
Why is it that China keeps getting used in these sayings? The one I grew up with was:
"What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?"
For when someone said something irrelevant.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
Janus said:
Why is it that China keeps getting used in these sayings? The one I grew up with was:
"What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?"
For when someone said something irrelevant.
Similarly, my Dad used "not for all the tea in China" to mean "not under any circumstances".
 
Maybe because it is often considered to be on the "other side of the world".
 
Sign of the times? I saw an empty , used, cup with the Starbucks logo by the side of the road and I felt a pang of nostalgia, almost shed a tear: ah, the old days when you went to a coffee shop to hang out...
 
Janus said:
Why is it that China keeps getting used in these sayings?
I think because it is as far as it can get, it's (had been) mysterious, and it is strange in comparison to the alternatives downunder.
 
Wait, maybe we can find a connection here:
Rice is a food staple in China, If a bag of rice falls over and spills, this could reduce the food supply, which in turn is used to feed the workers in the tea industry. Poorly fed workers produce less, causing a shortage of tea, driving its price up!
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and fresh_42