What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 756K views
fresh_42 said:
Otherwise the Vatican has a serious problem. Every citizen is 850 times infected!
Yes, that was obvious when I saw it and maybe a sort of boast or ridicule by the hackers.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems we'll have a worldwide staycation. I prefer Steakation, but will not likely happen.
 
If I have a child and he becomes a priest. Should I call him son or father?
 
Some of these enviros constantly denouncing humanity as a whole for damaging the planet. Hey: do you have provably-better ways of housing, clothing educating and feeding 8 billion? Well, life nor Earth come with a user's nanual. Let's hear it or stop.
 
Im betting the next major confrontation will be between texters and callers. I prefer text only except emergencies or things that are too complicated for a text. Others seem to want to call for everything. Just text me and let's get on with our lives us my take.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary and Klystron
From the mouths of children:
Adult: "Madness is doing the same thing twice and expecting different results".
Child:" How about throwing a die"?
...
 
Evo said:
Why? Why can't we have real documentaries? There is so much of interest in the past that is REAL.

Have you tried Curiosity Stream? I had it for a while and didn't really use it very much, but I'm interested to know if you've tried it and, if so, what you thought about it?
 
SamRoss said:
Have you tried Curiosity Stream? I had it for a while and didn't really use it very much, but I'm interested to know if you've tried it and, if so, what you thought about it?
I don't have it but it sounds really good. Thanks!
 
zoki85 said:
More tattoos-more mentally ill a person is
"It's Art! Darn it! ART!", shouts the tattoo aficionado.
 
Last edited:
zoki85 said:
More tattoos-more mentally ill a person is
I've occasionally wondered if the current tattoo fad is a reaction to an earlier poor fashion choice of branded/advertisement clothing.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
Be careful with all this time at home. Don't let the tombstone read: “Here lies Florida Man. He survived the pandemic but he stood on a chair.”
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron, Bystander and strangerep
Ah, feels good to be back in PF , not answering questions like: "Avance Calculas: How to proof a Banach Space?"
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
Wonder how far you should take a situation where you accidentally take someone else's cart in the supermarket.
" Excuse me, you took my cart"
" Well, not really, technically, those things are not yours until you pay for them."
...

But these are times to be risk-averse.
 
WWGD said:
technically, those things are not yours until you pay for them
A guy in the parking lot sold it to me for $1.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD, Klystron and fresh_42
With the roads clear, people are flooring it on the highway, trusting the cops don't want to pull anybody over, I imagine.
 
hmmm27 said:
With the roads clear, people are flooring it on the highway, trusting the cops don't want to pull anybody over, I imagine.
I live on/near a busy street and I can hear the traffic outside my window. I can attest (given the traffic sounds) that while over 99% of vehicles are adhering to traffic rules, there's that tiny fraction that are pushing it to the limit more than normal.

What really surprises me is that there is still a a lot of traffic out there. I get that health care workers, grocery store employees, bank employees, essential construction workers, people going to get groceries, etc., must still travel, but that doesn't seem to me to justify the amount of traffic that I'm still hearing. 🤔
 
collinsmark said:
What really surprises me is that there is still a a lot of traffic out there.
Highways near where I live look like "ghost" highways.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
dlgoff said:
Highways near where I live look like "ghost" highways.
Why would a ghost need a highway? (Setting it up nicely for everyone).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary and dlgoff
WWGD said:
Why would a ghost need a highway? (Setting it up nicely for everyone).

1) Too many for the surface roads.

2) To make creepy movies.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD and dlgoff
WWGD said:
Why would a ghost need a highway? (Setting it up nicely for everyone).
Well, I'm kinda gullible when it comes to language. :oldgrumpy:

Ghost, as in;
a faint, weak, or greatly reduced appearance, trace, ...
Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
:devil:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
dlgoff said:
Well, I'm kinda gullible when it comes to language. :oldgrumpy:

Ghost, as in; :devil:
Hey, I do the same, just haven't got caught...yet.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff
Wonder why the British use the spelling 'centre' but not ' Septembre'.
 
WWGD said:
Wonder why the British use the spelling 'centre' but not ' Septembre'.
The French left in August.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and hmmm27
WWGD said:
Wonder why the British use the spelling 'centre' but not ' Septembre'.
Centre has been used in the US. My birth town is spelled Rockville Centre. The British spelling seems closer to Latin centrum. The month September is Settembre in modern Italian with similar spellings in other Latin languages. When English spelling was standardized not that long ago, Latin had fallen out of common use outside the Catholic church.

fresh_42 said:
The French left in August.
Funny. After Junius Brutus named the month June for his family, Julius Caesar renamed the month of July after his family. His great-nephew and adopted son Octavian took the title Caesar Augustus and grabbed the month August. Living gods, or so they told the plebs.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
fresh_42 said:
The French left in August.
But Canadians were there with them in Oout ( Aout, or however French, Canadians pronounce it).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
I collected these quantity comparisons from various science articles. In most of these the reader would have no idea how large is the thing compared to.
Fifteen-meter high waves that pushed boulders the weight of a Leopard tank inland

At its peak, the lake was draining the equivalent of one Olympic-size swimming pool every three seconds, according to the study’s lead author, Thomas Chudley of the University of Cambridge.

To put it differently, the meltwater was enough to fill one U.S. Capitol rotunda every two minutes and 19 seconds.

Sending NASA's Space Shuttle into orbit required more than 3.5 million pounds of fuel, which is about 15 times heavier than a blue whale.

To put that in perspective, Los Angeles County residents consume 1 billion tons of water per year.

1,800 miles (2,900 kilometers, or the equivalent of around 3,000 Eiffel Towers stacked on top of one another

They said that the leaks alone were worth nearly two thirds of all natural gas use in France every year
I wondered why they do this and where the journalists get them? Then I ran across The Measure Of Things . That accounts for the blue whales anyways.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
How slow is the internet in quarantine? It's taking forever for the spam to load.
 
dlgoff said:
Highways near where I live look like "ghost" highways.
Like in a Stephen King movie. The few slowly rolling vehicles are steered by ghosts who will continue down the road until they run out of gas.