What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 759K views
Branson is expected to go to space tomorrow.

Bezos is expected to follow in eight days.

Elon Musk has been living in space for a very long time already.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and Borg
Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
Elon Musk has been living in space for a very long time already.
He was actually in the car. The guy you've seen since is a double.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking and BillTre
Keith_McClary said:
He was actually in the car. The guy you've seen since is a double.
That's manufactured by another one of his companies.
 
My company works closely with Blue Origin. Hoping to get some of that action. Grrrrrr!

A vendor of mine, a master machinist, was working closely with Bezos. In fact Bezos and his wife came out to his place one day. He made most of the parts for Jeff's 10,000-year clock. I told him to be sure to let me know when it works.
 
Last edited:
People keep asking me physics questions when they see me in coffee shops doing Math. " Why are there no large scale rectangular features in nature", i.e., why is nature fractal at large scales? Don't know. That's why I do non-physics. I just blurt out somethinf like " prolly has to see with gravity".
 
It appears that Death Valley hit 130 degrees F on Friday.

"Yes it was hot" responded one climate change denier, "but it's a dry heat".
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron and Keith_McClary
Ivan Seeking said:
It appears that Death Valley hit 130 degrees F on Friday.

"Yes it was hot" responded one climate change denier, "but it's a dry heat".
Wonder if that means more bush fires? Never heard of dry cold weather in the same context, i.e., not being so bad.
 
WWGD said:
Wonder if that means more bush fires? Never heard of dry cold weather in the same context, i.e., not being so bad.
Here it comes: dry cold weather is by far more pleasant than wet cold weather!

I flew from an area with about ##\pm 1°C## where it was rainy, and cold - I call it rheumatism weather - to an area with about ##\sim -10°C ## where it was snowy, and the climate was continental (dry) rather than oceanic (wet). You bet, that I felt the colder climate far less to be cold than the rainy area significantly warmer.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bystander
fresh_42 said:
Here it comes: dry cold weather is by far more pleasant than wet cold weather!

I flew from an area with about ##\pm 1°C## where it was rainy, and cold - I call it rheumatism weather - to an area with about ##\sim -10°C ## where it was snowy, and the climate was continental (dry) rather than oceanic (wet). You bet, that I felt the colder climate far less to be cold than the rainy area significantly warmer.
It just seems the weather is pleasant while the snow lasts. But that's just out of casual observation.
 
WWGD said:
It just seems the weather is pleasant while the snow lasts. But that's just out of casual observation.
To make it short: 0°C in NYC are far worse than -15°C in Minneapolis.
 
_nc_ohc=7Vwt_Q9XeNQAX8dprym&_nc_ht=scontent-dus1-1.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Frabjous
fresh_42 said:
But it's even worse. You don't know how reliable the information is. The ecstasy of having ( just about) all information available and the agony of having to filter out the noise.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bystander
Wonder if young children, born in 2019, 2020 will grow assuming masks are part of a person's face. Maybe too for dogs.
 
I guess congratulations to our French friends in Bastille day today.
 
I guess it says something about me when I see someone and they remind me of Raymond Smullyan ( logician/set theorist) instead of a famous person/celebrity.
 
Last edited:
Smullyan, wasn't it? What did he do to remind you of him? Ask you what your friend would say if he asked him which door leads to certain death?
 
Ibix said:
Smullyan, wasn't it? What did he do to remind you of him? Ask you what your friend would say if he asked him which door leads to certain death?
Edit, yes, Smullyan, @$%# auto (in) correct. No, he just physically looked like him, with his long, gray beard. Wanted to ask him if he could not shave it because hr was the barber of the town. The one who only shaved those who did not shave themselves.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
One of my favourite solutions to the two guards problem where one always lies and one always tells the truth comes from the Order of the Stick. Haley shoots one of the guards in the foot and he collapses, shouting "You shot me! I can't believe you did that!" His companion rushes to his aid, saying "No she didn't! And I totally expected that!" Which simplifies the logic problem somewhat.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Ibix said:
One of my favourite solutions to the two guards problem where one always lies and one always tells the truth comes from the Order of the Stick. Haley shoots one of the guards in the foot and he collapses, shouting "You shot me! I can't believe you did that!" His companion rushes to his aid, saying "No she didn't! And I totally expected that!" Which simplifies the logic problem somewhat.

Why not just shoot both of them, turn around, and go on your merry way?
 
This morning I woke up feeling highly energized. First I wanted to do my 30 minutes on the elliptical. Then 45 minutes of weight lifting. And finally, 30 minutes of swimming. So I decided to lie down until the feeling went away.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, BillTre and WWGD
Should I feel bad about Ivy League graduates who cannot repay their student loans?:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/financ...t-pay-off-11625752773?mod=trending_now_news_2

‘Financially Hobbled for Life’: The Elite Master’s Degrees That Don’t Pay Off​

Columbia and other top universities push master’s programs that fail to generate enough income for graduates to keep up with six-figure federal loans​

Recent film program graduates of Columbia University who took out federal student loans had a median debt of $181,000.

Yet two years after earning their master’s degrees, half of the borrowers were making less than $30,000 a year.

The Columbia program offers the most extreme example of how elite universities in recent years have awarded thousands of master’s degrees that don’t provide graduates enough early career earnings to begin paying down their federal student loans, according to a Wall Street Journal analysis of Education Department data.
Seems like an awful lot of debt to take on for a field that may not traditionally have strong demand of high-paying jobs (or, does it)?
 
Local newspaper, explanation of efficacy. Paraphrasing: "an efficacy of 95% is the same as saying for every 100 vaccinated people, 5 fall ill on average"

facepalm :(
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary
nuuskur said:
Local newspaper, explanation of efficacy. Paraphrasing: "an efficacy of 95% is the same as saying for every 100 vaccinated people, 5 fall ill on average"

facepalm :(

am I stupid, or...?
 
It's more like for every 100 ill people, about 95% of them are not vaccinated. In other words, efficacy is identified with the proportion of vaccinated ill people among all ill people. Here ill = suffering from covid, specifically.
 
Last edited:
I saw that CNN had a story headline saying that Space tourism won't be affordable for the masses any time soon. Then I remembered a news story yesterday about how many people have been fighting with flight crews on airplanes. Maybe that's a good thing. :wink:
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking, Keith_McClary and BillTre
Borg said:
I saw that CNN had a story headline saying that Space tourism won't be affordable for the masses any time soon. Then I remembered a news story yesterday about how many people have been fighting with flight crews on airplanes. Maybe that's a good thing. :wink:

Which brings to mind an interesting question: Has there ever been a fight in space? It wouldn't be hard to imagine someone losing it after 6 months on the space station!
 
I think sex would be more likely and more interesting!
Now that people are staying up there for 12 months, you could conceivably have a birth there too.
(However there might be health consequences for the baby!)
 
BillTre said:
I think sex would be more likely and more interesting!
In order to prevent that from happening they have decided they are only sending married couples from now on.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: nuuskur, Borg, fresh_42 and 1 other person
I realized sometimes my cravings for sweets were really a need to " cleanse the palate". So I just bought some Lindor bonbons. A single one meets my needs for the whole day, most of the time.