What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 756K views
Physics news on Phys.org
ergospherical said:
anyone else like LoFi?
Is that one of the new MCU characters?
 
Looks like the weather radar I frequently check became the victim of some kond of social engineering experiment.
At some point in the last drought the colors depicting rain density was adjusted so that now even a drizzle produced promising thick red patches (just like heavy storms before).

Felt like founding nothing in the extremely nicely packed boxes at Christmas.
 
I was weirdly upset at the fact that the ice in my drinks was melting too quickly. Now I leave ice cubes in the freezer overnight and then use them for drinks. I mean, I remove them from the ice tray and put them in a cup. We'll see how that goes.
 
Ok, seemed weird to see people from afar with the masks hanging. What the $#@ is that strip in the middle of the face? And now we have the mega headphones too, taking up the upper half of the face. Alien Invasion!
 
Had a nice weekend planned but my gf got sick. Darn! Darn! Darn! I was hoping she'd feel better today but she has a fever.
 
Cats does not know the word 'holiday'.

We have a week off. Lots of planning about finally having decent sleep without alarm and other holiday-stuff.
Just the cats... They ask for food (and petting and grooming and other cat-things) exactly at the same time as always - half past five. :cry:
 
Rive said:
Cats does not know the word 'holiday'.

We have a week off. Lots of planning about finally having decent sleep without alarm and other holiday-stuff.
Just the cats... They ask for food (and petting and grooming and other cat-things) exactly at the same time as always - half past five. :cry:
Yes, you were born to serve them. You haven't figured that out yet?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
Ivan Seeking said:
I was hoping she'd feel better today but she has a fever.
There's a "hot date" joke in there somewhere...
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking
Ibix said:
There's a "hot date" joke in there somewhere...
Some like it hot...

That was the line I missed. I should have responded that I always have a fever for her.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
Ivan Seeking said:
Some like it hot...

That was the line I missed. I should have responded that I always have a fever for her.
Cat scratch fever?
 
New request for feature for voicemail:
Ask caller to take handkerchief of mouth before saying "Call me ASAP".
 
I will never forget what's her name. Edit: I did not know it was a real thing. Definitely not a Googlenope ( Googlenope is not a Googlenope, btw)
 
Fernweh - I really want to go to Hogwarts 😞

1626686505107.png
 
One of my mates sent me a photo from Loch Schiel this morning which is the backdrop onto which they CGI’d the castle. And right next to it is the viaduct from the Chamber of Secrets (when Harry and Ron steal the car and almost get smooshed by the train).

That made me very jealous… the closest I’ve gotten so far is that Platform 9 and 3/4 sign at Kings Cross Station, but all I got out of that was a bruised elbow and some weird looks from the general population :rolleyes:
 
ergospherical said:
That made me very jealous… the closest I’ve gotten so far is that Platform 9 and 3/4 sign at Kings Cross Station, but all I got out of that was a bruised elbow and some weird looks from the general population
As long as you do not run against pillars ... It's a hoax. That only works at St. Pancras. :cool:
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical
Does anyone else get nervous like 20 metres before you get to a door, especially ones with weird handles, just in case you’re not going to be able to figure out how to open it and the people behind you will think you’re stupid?
 
The higher risk to me is, that I approach a door that all of a sudden is opened from the other side. I am usually so absorbed in my thoughts that I regularly spook myself to death.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical
Ohh or even worse, when you’re going through the door and you see somebody 20 metres away, and in a split second you have to decide whether to keep walking forward like a badass or instead to hold it and wait until they start that awkward run-walk, then force a “you’re welcome” and walk next to them in silence for the next half a minute.

Life is so hard. 🥺
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
ergospherical said:
Ohh or even worse, when you’re going through the door and you see somebody 20 metres away, and in a split second you have to decide whether to keep walking forward like a badass or instead to hold it and wait until they start that awkward run-walk, then force a “you’re welcome” and walk next to them in silence for the next half a minute.

Life is so hard. 🥺
I remember the ugly looks I got in an elevator. An old lady was trying to get in; I thought I was touching the ' open' button but accidentally hit the 'close'. The door then slammed into her to my surprise and I realized my mistake. Many though I did it on purpose.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical
ergospherical said:
Does anyone else get nervous like 20 metres before you get to a door, especially ones with weird handles, just in case you’re not going to be able to figure out how to open it and the people behind you will think you’re stupid?
gifted.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical and WWGD
ergospherical said:
Ohh or even worse, when you’re going through the door and you see somebody 20 metres away, and in a split second you have to decide whether to keep walking forward like a badass or instead to hold it and wait until they start that awkward run-walk, then force a “you’re welcome” and walk next to them in silence for the next half a minute.

Life is so hard. 🥺
It happens to me more often with hotel showers and sinks having weird designs so it's not even clear how to get some water.
 
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical
WWGD said:
It happens to me more often with hotel showers and sinks having weird designs so it's not even clear how to get some water.

For the first three days of uni I was convinced there was no hot water because for some reason you had to turn the thingymbob to the blue side instead of the red side for the hot water to come out. Like... um, what sort of sadist came up with that?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
ergospherical said:
For the first three days of uni I was convinced there was no hot water because for some reason you had to turn the thingymbob to the blue side instead of the red side for the hot water to come out. Like... um, what sort of sadist came up with that?
Probably the strange humor of an experimentalist. The following story has been told at my university: The student entered the exam room. The professor showed him a flower in a pot at the window. The room side of the pot was warmer than the side toward the window, although it was a bright and warm summer day. The question: Why?
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical
fresh_42 said:
Probably the strange humor of an experimentalist. The following story has been told at my university: The student entered the exam room. The professor showed him a flower in a pot at the window. The room side of the pot was warmer than the side toward the window, although it was a bright and warm summer day. The question: Why?

Professor blowtorched the near side 10 seconds before the student walked in? :oldconfused:
 
ergospherical said:
For the first three days of uni I was convinced there was no hot water because for some reason you had to turn the thingymbob to the blue side instead of the red side for the hot water to come out. Like... um, what sort of sadist came up with that?
Knew a guy whose taps were labelled C and F (French - chaud: hot and froid: cold). The plumber fitted them then, as he was leaving, commented that he'd guessed C was for cold but couldn't work out what F stood for.

Fortunately, swapping the tops of taps usually only needs a screwdriver.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical
fresh_42 said:
The room side of the pot was warmer than the side toward the window, although it was a bright and warm summer day. The question: Why?
Prof turned it round. Although @ergospherical's answer is funnier.
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: hmmm27, ergospherical and fresh_42