What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Mayhem
- 441
- 326
You live in the world where such proof is impossible, unfortunately.Tom.G said:OK. Let's see the proof.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
There's this guy Ira Glass in NPR ( Public Radio). I can imagine hearing :
Ira Glass
I also ra glass.
Just like with the s at the end of the name or beginning of the last name:
Have you seen Jason Statham?
No, I didn't know Jason even had a statham
( Jason's tatham).
Edit: I was just reading on how parsing strings of words seems natural for natives but difficult for others.
Ira Glass
I also ra glass.
Just like with the s at the end of the name or beginning of the last name:
Have you seen Jason Statham?
No, I didn't know Jason even had a statham
( Jason's tatham).
Edit: I was just reading on how parsing strings of words seems natural for natives but difficult for others.
Last edited:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
On a more practical matter, my Android phone is not recognizing/reacting to QR codes.
@Wrichik Basu : I did a search did not find much helpful. Can you suggest something?
@Wrichik Basu : I did a search did not find much helpful. Can you suggest something?
Last edited:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
So in that world, this is not a possible world. Therefore we do not exist.WWGD said:There are possible worlds where possible worlds don't exist.
No...wait...
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Over the course of the TV series House, they shot over 4000 miles of film.
Frabjous
Gold Member
- 1,978
- 2,445
Is that a measured number or based off the number of hours televised?Ivan Seeking said:Over the course of the TV series House, they shot over 4000 miles of film.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
I don't know. But they specified 4076 miles.caz said:Is that a measured number or based off the number of hours televised?
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
They did 177 episodes at about 40 minutes per. With 4076 miles of film, they ran at about 35 miles of film per hour.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
We are looking at a $3.5 trillion spending bill. Some people are objecting. They can see spending a trillion or two but at 3.5 trillion we are talking about real money!
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Yeah, you missed the point.WWGD said:I may have missed the point of the show ' House' but it seemed pretty contrived to me often.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Well if you don't know by now...WWGD said:Which is/was?
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
LOL! What do you mean by contrived? It was a TV show. Of course it was contrived!WWGD said:Any good refs?
Contrived: deliberately created rather than arising naturally or spontaneously.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Well, if read of many who had it in high esteem and believed in it at a " meta level", but never went into detail. I understand there is plenty of fluff on tv ( though I don't own one nowadays any more) but , still, shows that last as long usually have something substantial to them. Fluff only takes shows so far for so long.Ivan Seeking said:LOL! What do you mean by contrived? It was a TV show. Of course it was contrived!
Contrived: deliberately created rather than arising naturally or spontaneously.
Frabjous
Gold Member
- 1,978
- 2,445
I always thought that House was a medical version of Sherlock Holmes.WWGD said:I may have missed the point of the show ' House' but it seemed pretty contrived to me often.
Frabjous
Gold Member
- 1,978
- 2,445
While there are also political issues, the fundamental question is at which point do the unintended consequences of increased spending outway the direct benefits.Ivan Seeking said:We are looking at a $3.5 trillion spending bill. Some people are objecting. They can see spending a trillion or two but at 3.5 trillion we are talking about real money!
- 20,819
- 28,467
You can't make a show based on appendicitis.WWGD said:Well, if read of many who had it in high esteem and believed in it at a " meta level", but never went into detail. I understand there is plenty of fluff on tv ( though I don't own one nowadays any more) but , still, shows that last as long usually have something substantial to them. Fluff only takes shows so far for so long.
Frabjous
Gold Member
- 1,978
- 2,445
Actually, I know someone whose appendix went bad and a cyst formed around it. The person did not feel bad until ~1 year later when it cracked and started leaking. It took a couple of months to figure out what was happening at which point the person was rushed into emergency surgery. While they found gangrene, the person was basically back to normal within a couple of weeks.fresh_42 said:You can't make a show based on appendicitis.
Sounds like a House story.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
The real solution is to just hand out large sums of money to people my age. :)caz said:While there are also political issues, the fundamental question is at which point do the unintended consequences of increased spending outway the direct benefits.
So you only want to compare direct benefits to unintended consequences? How about unintended benefits? Clearly you assume that all unintended consequences are negative.
Frabjous
Gold Member
- 1,978
- 2,445
No, and I do not appreciate word parsers. There are known fiscal negatives to high taxes and high government spending. I believe that most people also recognize that there can be negative societal consequences as people become more and more dependent on the government. There can be positive unintended consequences, but I ask you to name one government spending program that should be increased without bound.Ivan Seeking said:The real solution is to just hand out large sums of money to people my age. :)
So you only want to compare direct benefits to unintended consequences? How about unintended benefits? Clearly you assume that all unintended consequences are negative.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Not without bound , but government does certain things right. And private sector has its share of nepotism and other flaws. It may sound trite, but there is a valid middle of the road here.caz said:No, and I do not appreciate word parsers. There are known fiscal negatives to high taxes and high government spending. I believe that most people also recognize that there can be negative societal consequences as people become more and more dependent on the government. There can be positive unintended consequences, but I ask you to name one government spending program that should be increased without bound.
- 20,819
- 28,467
The medical issues are the show's major means to create tension and arguments.WWGD said:As usual , it seems we're being orthogonal to each other. This is not intended as a medical documentary. This is a vehicle to convey a message, not the message itself.
Frabjous
Gold Member
- 1,978
- 2,445
WWGD said:Not without bound , but government does certain things right. And private sector has its share of nepotism and other flaws. It may sound trite, but there is a valid middle of the road here.
Which was part of my original point
caz said:While there are also political issues, the fundamental question is at which point do the unintended consequences of increased spending outway the direct benefits.
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2