What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 750K views
Former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe assassinated during campaign speech in city of Nara, Japan
https://apnews.com/article/shinzo-abe-obituary-de5d5c3a798e1ac4fde4073763cf76df

Abe was shot from behind minutes into his speech. The alleged perpetrator, Tetsuya Yamagami, 41, apparently used a home-made gun.

https://apnews.com/article/japan-shinzo-abe-shooting-22ec2248d92304deb9cc46b2142402d2

https://apnews.com/hub/shinzo-abe?utm_source=apnewsnav&utm_medium=featured
 
Last edited:
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too and strangerep
Physics news on Phys.org
Meanwhile, in the police state of Russia, the government hands down first prison term for anti-war remarks
https://apnews.com/article/russia-u...and-politics-235ad386cb40fe07357425fdfe6a80f2
A court in Moscow sentenced a municipal council member to seven years in prison Friday for his remarks opposing the war in Ukraine. The unprecedented sentence raises the stakes for Kremlin critics in Russia who speak out against Moscow’s invasion of its ex-Soviet neighbor.

Alexei Gorinov was found guilty of spreading “knowingly false information” about the Russian military, an offense that carries a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison under a law the Russian parliament rubber-stamped a week after the Kremlin sent troops into Ukraine.

The 60-year-old member of Moscow’s Krasnoselsky municipal council is the first person sentenced to serve time behind bars for a conviction on that charge, according to Net Freedoms, a legal aid group focused on free speech cases.
 
  • Wow
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too, pinball1970 and strangerep
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
WWGD said:
@Oldman too : Upon doing a bit of reading, re our exchange on the over-sensitivity of Android phones, wonder if the problem may be related to a poorly-designed Gyroscope.
Hi @WWGD That thought has crossed my mind, particularly when noticing that changing orientation of the phone is the favorite time for the glitching to kick in. For some of the sensor errors it seems that resetting the phone is the first thing to try, these might be useful links for troubleshooting.
https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/sensors/sensors_position
https://www.thecustomdroid.com/android-10-sensors-bug-fix-guide/
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
World Championship Men​
European Championship Women​
Absolute Monarchy Qatar​
England: Land of Football​
Workers died building the Stadiums​
Football Temple as many as you wish​
No Beer​
Beer without End​
Fans sleep in Tents​
Premium Hostels in Diagon Alley​
It is … Winter​
Summer, Sun and Sunlight​
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
fresh_42 said:
There is a reason why hundreds of Russians have left the country heading to Finland, Turkey, and probably a few other countries. Not sure if Turkey was a better choice, but anyway.
Turkey's better only if you have a nice, crunchy bread, bacon, mayo , lettuce and tomato.
 
  • Haha
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: strangerep and Oldman too
After hearing white noise- sounds of rain from the forest, only change is I'm going to pee on the bathroom 2x as often!
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
Oldman too said:
Hi @WWGD That thought has crossed my mind, particularly when noticing that changing orientation of the phone is the favorite time for the glitching to kick in. For some of the sensor errors it seems that resetting the phone is the first thing to try, these might be useful links for troubleshooting.
https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/sensors/sensors_position
https://www.thecustomdroid.com/android-10-sensors-bug-fix-guide/
Seems someone farted the other day in eastern China, leading my phone to change its date format ; ).
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff and Oldman too
After emailing and asking my daughter if she's had a chance to fly the tail dragger airplane, this is what she replied:
It’s the aerobatic season now so I’ve been flying it on and off. Instrument training is a priority as I have my checkride on Tuesday. The tailwheel stuff can come later ...
Wish her luck on her check ride. I'm hoping she has some cool and dense air to fly in.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too, WWGD, pinball1970 and 1 other person
dlgoff said:
I'm hoping she has some cool and dense air to fly in.
After telling my daughter this, she replied with this:
It’s summer in Colorado and hot here, as well. You can really only fly in the early mornings.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
What does it mean for a function ##\varepsilon## to converge to ##\delta## at a point ##f##?
 
nuuskur said:
What does it mean for a function ##\varepsilon## to converge to ##\delta## at a point ##f##?
it means that you are a masochist
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
Is anyone doing anything different tomorrow for Webb? Or just making sure they are near a stream/TV?

I have booked the day off and had a plan to get to the pub with the crossword, my tablet and headphones.

I would say the vast majority of the pub are not aware and /or don’t care but that’s fine.

From Where’s Webb today 13.13

1657541823996.png


I was talking to my mother about this recently and she asked where the telescope was.
I said, “They call it L2 mum, second Lagrange point.”
She said. “Is that in France love?”
I burst out laughing so she said (absolute truth) “Oh, somewhere more exotic then? Belarus?”

She is 80 next year.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto, strangerep, WWGD and 3 others
pinball1970 said:
Is anyone doing anything different tomorrow for Webb? Or just making sure they are near a stream/TV?

I have booked the day off and had a plan to get to the pub with the crossword, my tablet and headphones.

I would say the vast majority of the pub are not aware and /or don’t care but that’s fine.

From Where’s Webb today 13.13

View attachment 303995

I was talking to my mother about this recently and she asked where the telescope was.
I said, “They call it L2 mum, second Lagrange point.”
She said. “Is that in France love?”
I burst out laughing so she said (absolute truth) “Oh, somewhere more exotic then? Belarus?”

She is 80 next year.
Refer her to Waldo. " Webb is right next to Waldo/Wally".
 
WWGD said:
Refer her to Waldo. " Webb is right next to Waldo/Wally".
She may remember that. However, if she got a hint I was implying she was impaired mentally in any way and was making a joke at her expense that would not work out well for me.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
pinball1970 said:
She may remember that. However, if she got a hint I was implying she was impaired mentally in any way and was making a joke at her expense that would not work out well for me.
Yes, sorry, didn't mean it to imply that. Maybe I'm too cavalier with my jokes, comments at times.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
There are a pair of Falcons hanging around in the pine trees. They are very timid so I've only been able to watch them from the bedroom windows. They fly down and eat mice (?) and insects out of the yard. Here's an image of what they look like.
falcon.jpg
 
  • Love
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Tom.G, Borg, Astronuc and 1 other person
WWGD said:
Yes, sorry, didn't mean it to imply that. Maybe I'm too cavalier with my jokes, comments at times.
No probs sir! Don't change your style!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
dlgoff said:
There are a pair of Falcons hanging around in the pine trees. They are very timid so I've only been able to watch them from the bedroom windows. They fly down and eat mice (?) and insects out of the yard. Here's an image of what they look like.
View attachment 304008
Birds and the RSPB in the UK began my journey into the natural world. That and my first chemistry set! (Good Science programs too)
 
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff
dlgoff said:
There are a pair of Falcons hanging around in the pine trees. They are very timid ...
@pinball1970
And their calls are very loud.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
dlgoff said:
@pinball1970
And their calls are very loud.
Beautiful. Lots of different species and I have a few avid twitcher friends! (Bird watchers for no UK guys)
I will ask for a view regarding the specific type.

In terms of majestic?This little guy fascinated me as a kid. Faster than anything on the planet man made or via Evolution till the 1940s possibly
 
Attachments
  • Screenshot_2022-07-11-18-45-21~2.png
    Screenshot_2022-07-11-18-45-21~2.png
    79.6 KB · Views: 137
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff
fresh_42 said:
There is a reason why hundreds of Russians have left the country heading to Finland, Turkey, and probably a few other countries. Not sure if Turkey was a better choice, but anyway.
That is money out with the people. Yes.
 
Last edited:
pinball1970 said:
Is anyone doing anything different tomorrow for Webb? Or just making sure they are near a stream/TV?
I'm working on a celebratory pub crawl. NASA Live does fit into the plans though. :biggrin:
 
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
Oldman too said:
I'm working on a celebratory pub crawl. NASA Live does fit into the plans though. :biggrin:
Celebrity?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too
I'd say legal advice from someone referring to a "Half a David" * may not be too reliable.

*Affidavit. clear after an hour what he meant. A full David may be too much. A Goliath...?
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
WWGD said:
"Half a David"
Could be a Freudian slip, had Mogen David on his mind?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
Oldman too said:
Could be a Freudian slip, had Mogen David on his mind?
Yes, sounds like a good guess.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too
The area of oil as the primary energy carrier of sea transports will end. I doubt that atomic-driven civilian vessels will come. That leaves us with wind.

Too early to invest in pepper?
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: strangerep
fresh_42 said:
The area of oil as the primary energy carrier of sea transports will end. I doubt that atomic-driven civilian vessels will come. That leaves us with wind.

Too early to invest in pepper?
There are better sources of wind, e.g., politicians, chili, old men, (oops!)
 
It may be only for me, but searching for 'Mouser' (electronics component distributor) on Google returns with two of their competitors as the first two hit...:doh:
 
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff