What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
Physics news on Phys.org
I feel like this is the worst possible time of year to catch feelings for someone all over again! Got exams in like a month and haven’t done a single hour of work during the past week. Priorities are in order. :oldeyes:
 
I want to dive into learning the Unreal Engine 5 game engine to produce VR experiences I want to realize, but time is money. It's like having your own Star Trek holodeck to create with.
 
Can't understand why boneless ribs are cheaper than " boneful"/regular ones at the Chinese take out. Id assume it takes extra work, processing, to remove bones, and total meat weight seemed roughly equal.

And in my days, an acid and a base would react. I mixed up baking soda and distilled vinegar to no effect. I used to use the mixture as a house cleaner.
 
@Kidphysics: Sorry, lost track of my thoughts re our last exchange here on RT last Friday on Charisma, etc. Will get back to you if I have some new ideas.
 
WWGD said:
Can't understand why boneless ribs are cheaper than " boneful"/regular ones at the Chinese take out. Id assume it takes extra work, processing, to remove bones, and total meat weight seemed roughly equal.
Prices are determined by the supply/demand.
 
martinbn said:
Prices are determined by the supply/demand.
And quality of the product. When you have ribs with bones, the meat is attached to the bone so you know where it came from. With boneless products, you're often getting compressed meat scraps that are called boneless so that you think of them as something that they never were.

Which makes me glad that Buffalo Wings aren't real. Who wants to clean their car after an overflight of buffalos? :olduhh:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too, WWGD and nuuskur
Borg said:
And quality of the product. When you have ribs with bones, the meat is attached to the bone so you know where it came from. With boneless products, you're often getting compressed meat scraps that are called boneless so that you think of them as something that they never were.

Which makes me glad that Buffalo Wings aren't real. Who wants to clean their car after an overflight of buffalos? :olduhh:
I remember though, seeing regular mozzarella logs being cheaper than the sliced ones, despite being otherwise identical ingredient-wise. As of some were willing to pay extra to have their cheese sliced.
 
Was out for a jog today, and saw a man literally walking backwards! he either has severe OCD or was dared to do so(although he was probably in his late 40's so that's a little improbable).
 
Last edited:
Hamiltonian said:
Was out for a jog today, and saw a man literally walking backwards! he either has severe OCD or was dared to do so(although he was probably in his late 40's so that's a little improbable).
I heard he tried to convince all others that _they_ were the ones walking backwards. Mumble, mumble, my frame of reference.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too, Borg, Hamiltonian and 1 other person
Don't know if the question is meaningful but in space-time , does time have to be the fourth coordinate, or could it be the 1st or otherwise? Or are the first 3 reserved to describe standard Euclidean space?
 
I love Panera's salads, but gosh darn, that "Would you like to add a tip?" thing on their credit card machine is starting to anger me.

The employees sit there and watch you put in yes or no...I feel guilty/cheap/embarrassed if I say no.

I usually add $1...it won't kill me and I don't feel ashamed...recently, I've declined (inflation is getting to me) and feel weird/embarrassed...

I wish they didn't have it on there and used their tip jar (which I sometimes put loose change in) only. The tip jar puts less pressure on us.
 
WWGD said:
Don't know if the question is meaningful but in space-time , does time have to be the fourth coordinate, or could it be the 1st or otherwise? Or are the first 3 reserved to describe standard Euclidean space?
I like to randomly assign them. Sometimes it causes me to walk backwards. :oldwink:
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD, Oldman too, Hamiltonian and 1 other person
WWGD said:
Don't know if the question is meaningful but in space-time , does time have to be the fourth coordinate, or could it be the 1st or otherwise? Or are the first 3 reserved to describe standard Euclidean space?
Usually it's the zeroth coordinate. It's fairly common to need only one or two spatial coordinates (motion in a line or a plane) but you almost always need a time coordinate, and making it the zeroth coordinate means it doesn't change number or leave a gap in the numbering when you're ignoring a dimension or two. But it's only a convention, and not a universal one. And not all coordinate systems use a timelike basis vector at all, so you don't even have to have a real "time" coordinate if you don't want to.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
kyphysics said:
I love Panera's salads, but gosh darn, that "Would you like to add a tip?" thing on their credit card machine is starting to anger me.

The employees sit there and watch you put in yes or no...I feel guilty/cheap/embarrassed if I say no.

I usually add $1...it won't kill me and I don't feel ashamed...recently, I've declined (inflation is getting to me) and feel weird/embarrassed...

I wish they didn't have it on there and used their tip jar (which I sometimes put loose change in) only. The tip jar puts less pressure on us.
I stopped using my tip jar when teaching/adjuncting. " Not Allowed ", " Are you Insane?" Yada, Yada.
 
WWGD said:
So I turn my Android phone on, access the web. 5 minutes later I have 99 tabs opened , not one by myself.
I hate my android...
 
Mayhem said:
C is hard.
Wait till you see the rest of the alphabet! ;).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too and Mayhem
WWGD said:
And it brings about...Dust in the Wind. All it is Dust in the Wind.
Leftoverture... It was perfect for 8-track, you could listen to it endlessly. :thumbup:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Do you ever find that you drink to take the edge off certain occasions, but then end up with a hangover-fuelled, slightly uncomfortable/anxious feeling the next day which makes you want to drink more alcohol so that you're not as moody?
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too
This Chinese highway looks nightmarish
20220420_212741.jpg
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too
Kind of a random conversation point but I've been curious about India's "accidental launch" last month. Funny how those things just take off and follow flight coordinates, launch code included.
I've been waiting for information to come out but nothing new, anyone come across recent news on this?
https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/11/asia/india-pakistan-missile-intl-hnk/index.html
https://www.orfonline.org/research/the-many-unanswered-questions-about-indias-missile-accident/

The most recent piece https://fas.org/blogs/security/2022/04/flying-under-the-radar-a-missile-accident-in-south-asia/ Doesn't really mention anything new.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Meetings: Where minutes are kept, while hours are wasted.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too and Bystander
' Spalt' is just ' Spelt' but Missspellt.
 
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too
I should move near to university, having 4 hours to sleep is not being effective. Appart from that, i have noticed that the deprivation of sleep makes me feel really strange, first is sleepy obviously, but the second behaviour is really interesting: I can't help moving myself (like when i am waiting the train i need to walk there -> and return <- there -> and return -<), or i am always rubbing my hands or rubbing my hands at my face. It reminds me the behaviour of a cocaine's addictive person!
 
  • Skeptical
Likes   Reactions: benorin
LCSphysicist said:
I should move near to university, having 4 hours to sleep is not being effective. Appart from that, i have noticed that the deprivation of sleep makes me feel really strange, first is sleepy obviously, but the second behaviour is really interesting: I can't help moving myself (like when i am waiting the train i need to walk there -> and return <- there -> and return -<), or i am always rubbing my hands or rubbing my hands at my face. It reminds me the behaviour of a cocaine's addictive person!
Can't you get on-campus housing? Or rent a room, if apartments are too expensive? IIRC, people who live close to campus do better by most accounts than those who don't.
 
WWGD said:
' Spalt' is just ' Spelt' but Missspellt.
That was great fun to track down. Was looking for the connection between Triticum spelta synonym T. aestivum spelta and https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/spalt.
Then I find,
Spelt.PNG

It all makes perfect sense. I'd like to add that I've never seen misspell so artfully misspelled in my life, well done.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: benorin and WWGD
LCSphysicist said:
It reminds me the behavior of a cocaine's addictive person!
Are you familiar with chronic sleep deprivation and the lack of deep sleep?
@WWGD has some very good points.