What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 759K views
Here's a photo I just took:

storm-1.jpg
 
  • Wow
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, Borg and Oldman too
Physics news on Phys.org
dlgoff said:
Thank you Sir. I will.
Sorry if I was too cavalier. Stay safe.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff
We have ' We Are' contracted to ' We're, and ' They Are' contracted to ' They're ' . But ' Who Are' , as in " Those who are here today " is not contracted to ' Who're' .
 
I must say I went and checked because I thought "well, I use it, but I wonder if anyone else does...". Apparently they do.
 
Ibix said:
I must say I went and checked because I thought "well, I use it, but I wonder if anyone else does...". Apparently they do.
Maybe all those in favor of ' Whores'? Or maybe we need to "escape it" into ' Who\'res' ? ;).
 
I bet there are issues with this company's decision to test the effectiveness of ' Cost-brnefit '( CB) analysis. How to test it other than conducting a CB analysis on it? Calling Godel and B Russell.
 
dlgoff said:
One tornado just went north of me. I almost went to my storm shelter but the siren in my area stopped sounding so I decided everything was probably okay.
I didn't even know about this tornado in Andover Kansas last night:
 
  • Wow
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, collinsmark, OmCheeto and 1 other person
Hearing a claim that a person's name has an effect on their personality and life choices, though not clear if true and/or significant enough to be worth examining. As an example, in the US, people called Dennis are more likely ( than those with a different name) to be dentists.
 
I doubt the claim that small scale problems grow linearly and not exponentially when scaled up. Burying all the cable in an island of 100,000 people with x resources does not scale to doing it in a US State with 21 million people( Florida).
 
I got my second COVID-19 booster shot today. No reactions; just a little soreness of the arm.
 
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
WWGD said:
Sorry if I was too cavalier.
Not at all.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
My competition to "Python from Scratch"?

"Python from Itch"
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Hamiltonian
Hamiltonian said:
Was out for a jog today, and saw a man literally walking backwards! he either has severe OCD or was dared to do so(although he was probably in his late 40's so that's a little improbable).
In physical therapy walking exercises include stepping backwards, sideways to the left and then to the right, and somewhat exaggerated stiff leg forward walk; the latter resembling Soviet soldiers marching.*

We generally perform these exercises indoors in series of ~20 steps between parallel bars for balance. Backward walking is most difficult by far, using muscle groups accustomed to stepping toes first. Therapists have told me that walking backward improves balance and coordination and helps accident and stroke victims improve normal unassisted walking gaits.

I have often seen fit athletes at the gym riding treadmills backwards to develop symmetrical leg muscle groups and enhance balance. Your backward jogger may have been practising a similar method.

*I joke about the 'Ministry of Silly Walks' from Monty Python, humor wasted on 20-something trainers.
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: WWGD, Ibix, Hamiltonian and 1 other person
So, how do I solve this? :oldeyes:

UnsolvableWordle.jpg
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto
New on the list of " Greatest Hits":
Will Smith : Chris Rock.
Amber Heard: Johnny Depp.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too
ergospherical said:
That is animal cruelty. Let them watch a decent film for crying out loud. Start them off with Lassie, something they can relate to.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too and WWGD
BillTre said:
Propaganda has often been compared with marketing.
It is. It is finding out if a significant % of the population is ready for buying an idea then selling it to them.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too
Somehow the Billy Elliot pic reminds me of the massive stampede of rats as a result of " Riverdance". Imagine rats underground minding their business and then hearing a barrage of heels clacking infernal noise for hours.
 
There's this person I run into and chat with often at the coffee shop. He started telling me at some point, " I have to go to the bathroom". So I would reply "Ok, write me a report", so he stopped doing it for a while. But he slipped again today. You don't need my permission, dude.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too and berkeman
Edit:Wonder how many who say " I have another call, I'll call you back ", realize they're really saying " Other call/person is more important than yours/you". Barring emergencies, of course.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bystander
My wife shared the following with me regarding a job description of a genealogist.

Geneaologist - We do precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and Borg
The root of my anger issues is having to use Excel for data analysis.
 
Mayhem said:
The root of my anger issues is having to use Excel for data analysis.
You don't. Export the data as csv file, analyze them, and re-import them again via csv.
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too and WWGD