What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 757K views
Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
Anyone watching the Stanley cup finals?
"Cue the crickets."
 
fresh_42 said:
Anyone watching the Stanley cup finals?
That's a no from me, I have been to one hockey match in my life. Very fast sport, I got neck ache.
Are you lost like me when the footy season is over?
 
pinball1970 said:
That's a no from me, I have been to one hockey match in my life. Very fast sport, I got neck ache.
Are you lost like me when the footy season is over?
If I could choose, I would watch Rugby but they don't broadcast it here. They have tennis and even more tennis. I find it boring. I'm looking forward to the TdF coming.
 
fresh_42 said:
If I could choose, I would watch Rugby but they don't broadcast it here. They have tennis and even more tennis. I find it boring. I'm looking forward to the TdF coming.
Rugby League was my sport at Uni, I loved the gym aspect, the circuit training the matches and after the matches. I realized I could never be a professional/semi pro after training with some of the guys early on. I knew I could never be that good. Great times anyway.
TdF is nuts, those pile ups? Hitting concrete at 25mph. Great to watch though. EDIT: A quick Google they can reach 65-80 mph down hill!

I concur regarding tennis.
 
Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
If I could choose, I would watch Rugby but they don't broadcast it here. They have tennis and even more tennis. I find it boring. I'm looking forward to the TdF coming.
I lived in Kentucky in the early 90's. Their newspaper coverage of the Stanley Cup was a paragraph of maybe 20 words. If it wasn't college basketball or horse racing, it didn't exist.
 
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
Borg said:
I lived in Kentucky in the early 90's. Their newspaper coverage of the Stanley Cup was a paragraph of maybe 20 words. If it wasn't college basketball or horse racing, it didn't exist.

My heroes are all gone. If someone says NBA to me, I think of Jordan, Bird, and Pippen. Formula 1 after Senna? - Boring. I still think of the Soviet hockey team of the '70s and '80s. It was a kind of ballet on ice. And of course, Gretzky. Everything was better before.
 
I was fortunate to see Gretzky play the Red Wings near the end of his career (6 rows back on center ice). They had three guys around him and still couldn't defend. It was amazing to watch.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
This spring we became the nightly nesting spot for hundreds of crows each night. They were nesting in trees all over our neighborhood and usually there would be 20 or so in the tree right by our bedroom. If I went out and clapped my hands loudly, they would fly off but then come right back. Finally, I found this distress call and played it several times whenever I saw them during the day - the first time that I played it, the crow across the street flew off very quickly. It seems that by disrupting their daytime routine, they decided to roost somewhere else. I haven't heard them at night (and at 5am) for over a week now!
:partytime:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
Watched " Top Gun".
Spoilers: Tom Cruise is in it, and there are planes in it.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: Klystron, Oldman too, pinball1970 and 2 others
Untitled-1.jpg


More random image than random thought :smile: With Marzena and my Mom, 1991.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, strangerep, berkeman and 4 others
fresh_42 said:
Formula 1 after Senna?
in my mind I say "after Lauda"
 
gmax137 said:
in my mind I say "after Lauda"
I can't hear you. Lauda!
 
Nice random problem. Are there infinitely many primes so that the average of their digits (Decimal rep) is also a prime? We have trivial ones : 2,3,5,7 and then others like 13, 31. Too lazy to give it a try.
 
Borg said:
I've heard the name but don't remember much about him.
I just wanted to mention that I was at a fight recently and a hockey game broke out.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: BillTre, pinball1970 and hmmm27
I just got an email for my middle daughter that she and one of her sons have gotten COVID.

edit: I think this is the second time she has gotten it.
 
Last edited:
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
Windows 10 has decided to log me off every application whenever I turn off my PC.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too
S
dlgoff said:
I just got an email for my middle daughter that she and one of her sons have gotten COVID.

edit: I think this is the second time she has gotten it.
Sorry to hear, DL. Good luck for their recovery.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and dlgoff
The number of unskippable adds on YouTube are getting absurdly high:headbang:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Algr and fresh_42
Hamiltonian said:
The number of unskippable adds on YouTube are getting absurdly high:headbang:
I've noticed that too. I figured it was because I was watching channels with high subscriber counts. It's not as bad on lesser channels, afaict.
 
strangerep said:
I've noticed that too. I figured it was because I was watching channels with high subscriber counts. It's not as bad on lesser channels, afaict.
In songs, adds ( seemingly) absurdly are shown some 5 seconds after/before the beginning/ end of the song.
 
Just had my Android #$&* again randomly change the background color from white to black. Overreactive piece of %$#@
 
WWGD said:
Windows 10 has decided to log me off every application whenever I turn off my PC.
I assume security settings in my pc were randomly changed; now I log back on, but I have to do it for each tab having the same app. So, e.g., if I'm reading different tabs here in pf, I must log on to pf separately for each tab. Good thing several forums available where others have posted same question.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too
Since the "logged in" condition is saved as a cookie on your machine, try doing a screen refresh on those tabs after logging in.

Cheers,
Tom
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too and WWGD
WWGD said:
Overreactive piece of %$#@
I have one of those also.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Oldman too said:
I have one of those also.
Send your spies to take care of it.;).
 
dlgoff said:
Only problem with living in Kansas are the thunderstorms. Power loss=No PF
There's no Toto Tone for phone either. ;).