What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 751K views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 20,819
- 28,467
I really enjoyed it today. A cup of coffee. Hot coffee. Just coffee. No latte, no cappuccino, no artificial flavors, nothing. The only question was: with a cover or not? Milk and sugar were available as much as I liked. But that was all extras. And it was all that was needed.
And, yes, nobody asked my name.
And, yes, nobody asked my name.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Sort of goes with this offer by YouTube: White noise for studying, reading ,fresh_42 said:I really enjoyed it today. A cup of coffee. Hot coffee. Just coffee. No latte, no cappuccino, no artificial flavors, nothing. The only question was: with a cover or not? Milk and sugar were available as much as I liked. But that was all extras. And it was all that was needed.
And, yes, nobody asked my name.
if you're in a somewhat noisy place. I remember Toffler's prescient observation on how society would need to cut down on overstimulation.
As for me, I just asked for my Pepsi. All I wanted was a Pepsi. Just a Pepsi...
Last edited:
Science Advisor
- 929
- 1,226
What to do when a person firmly believes the following are equivalent?
- ##\forall x \exists y P(x,y)##
- ##\exists x_0 \forall y P(x_0,y)##
- 20,819
- 28,467
nuuskur said:What to do when a person firmly believes the following are equivalent?
- ##\forall x \exists y P(x,y)##
- ##{}\underbrace{\lnot}_{\text{now they are ...}}{}\left(\exists x_0 \forall y {}\underbrace{\lnot}_{\text{... equivalent}}{}P(x_0,y)\right)##
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Every person is someone's father does not imply there is a specific person who's everyone's father.nuuskur said:What to do when a person firmly believes the following are equivalent?
and it's driving you nuts. Could ignore and let someone else deal with their malfunctioning mind. Am I responsible for letting it get there, though?
- ##\forall x \exists y P(x,y)##
- ##\exists x_0 \forall y P(x_0,y)##
Not even for Luke.
Edit: Will they accept a Universe/Possible World in which their argument does not hold:
##\{ x_1, x_2, x_3 \} ; P(x_3, x_3),P(x_1, x_2), P( x_2, x_3) ##?
Last edited:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,713
- 7,804
Learning something new every day.
Wife out in the blackberry/blueberry patch pulling weeds. She had noticed a chipmunk in one of the blueberry bushes, so she went out to put down some rubber snakes (we'll see if they work). She started pulling weeds, so I went out to join her. She had several kinds in her hand and made a comment the weeds were out of control.
I reached down and asked about a weed I didn't recognize.
Me: You want to get rid of this?
Wife: Yeah, it's invasive. (I thought she said evasive).
Me: (pulling weed) What is it?
Wife: It's black medic.
Me: (Still pulling he weed)
Wife: It's poisonous.
Me: Thanks for letting me know. Is it poisonous to touch? (I'm thinking like poison ivy or giant hogweed).
Wife: No, just the berries (which the plant had).
I tossed the weed in the garbage and washed my hands. Not sure about its toxicity after reading about it.
Wife out in the blackberry/blueberry patch pulling weeds. She had noticed a chipmunk in one of the blueberry bushes, so she went out to put down some rubber snakes (we'll see if they work). She started pulling weeds, so I went out to join her. She had several kinds in her hand and made a comment the weeds were out of control.
I reached down and asked about a weed I didn't recognize.
Me: You want to get rid of this?
Wife: Yeah, it's invasive. (I thought she said evasive).
Me: (pulling weed) What is it?
Wife: It's black medic.
Me: (Still pulling he weed)
Wife: It's poisonous.
Me: Thanks for letting me know. Is it poisonous to touch? (I'm thinking like poison ivy or giant hogweed).
Wife: No, just the berries (which the plant had).
I tossed the weed in the garbage and washed my hands. Not sure about its toxicity after reading about it.
- 20,819
- 28,467
I don't think it (medicago lupulina) is poisonous. Invasive in America, yes. It grows everywhere in Eurasia and is used as food for cattle. You won't do that if it was poisonous.Astronuc said:I tossed the weed in the garbage and washed my hands.
Last edited:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,713
- 7,804
After reading up on it, I agree that it does not appear to be poisonous. It is a just another nuisance.fresh_42 said:I don't think it (medicago lupulina) is poisonous. Invasive in America, yes. It grows everywhere in Eurasia and is used as food for cattle. You won't do that if it was poisonous.
Last edited by a moderator:
- 20,819
- 28,467
Heracleum mantegazzianum (giant hogweed / Riesen-Bärenklau) is our common enemy.Astronuc said:After reading up on it, I agree that it does not appear to be poisonous. It is a just another nuisance.
- 20,819
- 28,467
I recently learned that Taxus is dangerous.BillTre said:I just read about this somewhere. Its a nasty plant!
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,856
- 12,707
Source of taxol (an anticancer drug). Better know as yew trees to me.fresh_42 said:Taxus
We had them in our yard as ornamentals, when I was a kid. I was aware they were poisonous nature (I never ate any of their cute red "berries"!).
Here a really weird plant I read about recently:
A kind of pitcher plant, in Indonesia, that grows its pitchers underground and catch most invertebrates there. Pitcher plants trap and digest animals to supplement their nutrients in a nutrient poor environment. They make a pot (pitcher) of digestive juices to digest trapped insects. Nutrients freed by digestion are absorbed through the walls of the pitcher.
This CNN report has some video.
Here is the original research report.
- 20,819
- 28,467
The berries aren't poisonous, only the seeds. At least the European variant. The needles and the bark are. And 100g needles isn't very much. My favorite syrupe against cough is made of needles. Or was it pinecones?BillTre said:I never ate any of their cute red "berries"!
- 20,819
- 28,467
Day 90. And still tempted.
- 20,819
- 28,467
More famous is the Mandelbrot set (here: apple men).WWGD said:Wonder if all constructions of Fractals are algorithmic. ("Standard")Cantor set has the obvious "Remove Middle Third of each remaining component. No idea ofr others.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,713
- 7,804
A Lottery Lawyer Won Their Trust, Then Lost Their Mega Millions
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...inners-lost-riches-after-using-lottery-lawyer
Jay Kurland built a practice giving legal and financial advice to jackpot winners. He’s now accused of fraud.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...inners-lost-riches-after-using-lottery-lawyer
Jay Kurland built a practice giving legal and financial advice to jackpot winners. He’s now accused of fraud.
I wondered what happened to that anonymous woman who won the $1.5 billion (probably about $950 million after taxes).In 2018 he started representing the biggest solo lottery winner of all time, a woman who’d bought a $1.5 billion ticket at a convenience store in South Carolina.
Oldman too
- 259
- 489
The spies recommended dumping the android and going with the "dark side", yup, iphone. I don't miss the glitchy android one bit and comparing play store and apple store apps for malware is a little sobering. (spy vs. spy was my favorite strip from mad, thus the avatar.)WWGD said:Send your spies to take care of it.;).
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I was kind of partial to both " Joke Setups in Search of a Punchline" and " No-joke Jokes".Oldman too said:The spies recommended dumping the android and going with the "dark side", yup, iphone. I don't miss the glitchy android one bit and comparing play store and apple store apps for malware is a little sobering. (spy vs. spy was my favorite strip from mad, thus the avatar.)
An example of the first was " Dr Kevorkian walks into a butcher shop and gets _two_ tickets..."
For the second: " Your mama so fat, when she walks around the house, she really walks around the house", and " The town I was born in was so small, even the hooker wore a helmet".
Oldman too
- 259
- 489
Amazing that no one has worked that into a marketing angle yet.WWGD said:Kind of interesting:
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,877
- 6,212
Yuk.Rive said:Kind of upsetting too: if bees had access, then many other had to.
Cockroaches, ants, wasps, Flies, Ants, Spiders.
Pigeons, mice and rats too?
Some interesting diseases carried by that little lot.
Salmonellosis.
Typhoid Fever.
Cholera.
Dysentery.
Leprosy.
Plague.
Campylobacteriosis.
Listeriosis.
E. coli.
St. Louis encephalitis
Histoplasmosis.
Candidiasis.
Psittacosis
Hantavirus.
Leptospirosis.
Rat bite fever.
Rat tapeworm.
I cannot remember if Psittacosis has a silent P
Anyone care for an M&M?
No? How about some blue honey?
Last edited:
Jarvis323
- 1,247
- 988
It sounds like it wasn't an M&M factory, but instead it was a biogas plant processing discarded M&M candy shells.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/121011-blue-honey-honeybees-animals-science
local bees were feeding on remnants of colored M&M candy shells, which were being processed by a biogas plant roughly 2.5 miles (4 kilometers) away.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/121011-blue-honey-honeybees-animals-science
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
( Violently spitting out the M&Ms in my mouth. Almost killed a passer-by).pinball1970 said:Yuk.
Cockroaches, ants, wasps, Flies, Ants, Spiders.
Pigeons, mice and rats too?
Some interesting diseases carried by that little lot.
Salmonellosis.
Typhoid Fever.
Cholera.
Dysentery.
Leprosy.
Plague.
Campylobacteriosis.
Listeriosis.
E. coli.
St. Louis encephalitis
Histoplasmosis.
Candidiasis.
Salmonellosis.
Psittacosis
Hantavirus.
Leptospirosis.
Rat bite fever.
Rat tapeworm.
I cannot remember if Psittacosis has a silent P
Anyone care for an M&M?
No? How about some blue honey?
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
@Oldman too : Upon doing a bit of reading, re our exchange on the over-sensitivity of Android phones, wonder if the problem may be related to a poorly-designed Gyroscope.
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2